Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pre- footie pubs back in the day. Where did you go?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
County Oak. Then Prince George and a run up Trafalgar Street to get train to Hove. Cliftonville if it wasn’t getting smashed up. Talking 76-80.

el punal

Driving from Southampton we would stop at the White Swan at Arundel (next to the cricket ground) - they used to do a lovely pint of King & Barnes. We're talking the late 1970s/early 80s era. The barman was a charming bloke but seemed to be out of some TV black comedy sketch like League of Gentlemen. The conversation would always go like this :

"Hello sir, off to football are we?" he would ask.

"Yes that's right, four pints of Sussex please." would be the reply.

"And who are you playing today, anyone I know?" asks the barman.

"Probably, we've got Man.United - it's a big game." our response.

"No, can't say I've heard of them." was the barman's classic reply.

Absolute genius!

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
It's funny but generally I drink too much but I hardly ever drink when going to watch the Albion. I usually drive to the football since back in the Goldstone days but on the few occasions I haven't and have had a few beers the match has been far less enjoyable as I've spent half of the time wanting a pee and I hate leaving the game whilst in progress . I do wonder how so many of my friends in the North Stand who cant make it through 45 minutes without disappearing into the concourse feel about missing out on some of the match . Also I want to remember and feel as much of the atmosphere as possible. Obviously I do remember when I was less of an old git I could manage a few pints without the subsequent need for frequent visits to the lovely urinals at the back of the north at the Goldstone !

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Hove Park Tavern.

But then I did work there:D

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Talking of strippers. One of the buildings next to the Mithrus House P&R was a pub back in the 70's and had strippers on at lunchtimes. Once again a few jars and back in the car to work. Different times.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Exchange for me.

Beard and Bin (Hedgehog and Hogs Head on occasion when my mates lived just round the corner)

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Quick one in Burrell and meet up and then on the train and quick walk to the Exchange later It got harder to all get in as they put a doorman on the door in the later years.
Now it a few in Savannah coach to the Amex a hard climb up the stairs and a cup of tea.:whistle::cry:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Was never a drinker in Goldstone days. For Fans United we were in the Hove Park Tavern. At Gillingham it was the Cricketers for every match. At Withdean it was the Sportsman (in early for food - long drive from Faversham).
Hardly a long drive

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here