Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Brian Bilston

poetwat.png

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
"The cracks will eventually widen into a chasm."

Wow - that will be good fun to watch: people getting poorer, renewed conflicts between neighbours, splintering and fragmenting alliances. With a bit of luck we'll all go back to 1939!

The right of the Tory party are already living in 1933, oh the will of the people...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I haven't read about one benefit that Brexit will bring. I am all ears.

1) EU procurement directive forces us to give State contracts to overseas business.
2) Non compliance with VATMOSS legislation will boost jobs
3) Lower compliance costs.
4) Won't have the threat to the free functioning of the Internet.
5) Non compliance with Articles 107 and 108 of the TFEU, currently preventing us giving State Aid, without EU approval.
6) Unecessary double testing of product removed ( EU Biocidal Products Regulation )
7 ) Abolish EU rules restricting ' Natural Monopolies '
8) Reclaim our 200mile fishing limit.
9) Quick bespoke trade deals. ( The EU moves very slowly )
10 ) Post the ' divorce bill ' net saving of £180-200m per day. Not that much in the grand scheme of things but 10% of that would pay for an extra 26,000 nurses or 12,000 hospital doctors for the next 7 years.
11) VAT. We can choose our own form of indirect taxation rather than be shackled to an EU mandate.
12 ) Controlled immigration. Priority given to skilled immigrants over unskilled.

I'm sure others on here can find plenty more.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair, there could also be a number of people in the country who voted Remain and now wish to Brexit!

To be fair there could be some people who this morning thought thy couldn't fly but this afternoon are planning to launch themselves from Hannington's roof.

I haven't met a single vote remainer who has now decided, after the referendum that Brexit is a better idea. On the other hand I know (and have known for 30 plus years) three people who were vote Brexiters, two of whom now have regrets (the other is a bit of a tosser, to be fair - mostly harmless but a bit thick).

The thing about far too many Brexiters (not all, of course) is it seems they are prepared to believe anything, no matter how absurd, if it suits their prejudice and yet they dismiss well-founded expectations if they don't fit theit narrative (no 'significant' job losses, offset in any case by 'massive' increases in 'freedom' and 'money to spend that we won't have to give the EU').

Which is why reading ths thread is such an eye-opener. I hope some spotty youth will use it for a sociology thesis on herd mentality, mass self delusion, and how expectations are tailored to fit hope.

The most absurd thing on here (which I have stopped doing owing to my blockings) is reading people discussing the pros and cons of leaving with people who don't care about the cons of leaving, and think this is Hilarious. People who, at the same time, start SHOUTING when they think the rest of us are being morons for not understanding the bleeding obvious, which is something they never describe other than in allegory, probably because they know they will be banned from NSC if they say what they mean.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Brian Bilston

HOLD MY HAND WHILE WE JUMP OFF THIS CLIFF
‘Let’s jump off this cliff – it’ll be fun! A right laugh!’
urged all the people (well, I mean just over half
of those who had bothered to speak up at all).
I peered down at the rocks; it was a long way to fall.

I said, ‘This cliff’s more than three hundred feet high
and my doctor tells me if I jump I will die.’
‘Cliff-jumping’s fine!’ they said. ‘Don’t trust doctors, trust us!
We read all about it on the side of a bus.’

Worried, I met up with my local MP.
I shared my concerns. He was forced to agree:
‘Why the rocks below would smash you to bits!
Where did you get this idea of jumping off cliffs?’

‘It was the will of some of the people,’ I said
and his expression changed to another instead.
‘I think,’ he revised, ‘you’re being melodramatic.
The problem is you. You’re undemocratic.’

On the clifftop, we waited. In silence we stood.
Then a voice: ‘Remind me, why is cliff-jumping good?’
But we looked down at our shoes, baffled and stumped.
Then, out of embarrassment, we held hands and jumped
Rees Mogg and his mates at the back with their sturdy parachutes ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1) EU procurement directive forces us to give State contracts to overseas business.
5) Non compliance with Articles 107 and 108 of the TFEU, currently preventing us giving State Aid, without EU approval.
6) Unecessary double testing of product removed ( EU Biocidal Products Regulation )
10 ) Post the ' divorce bill ' net saving of £180-200m per day. Not that much in the grand scheme of things but 10% of that would pay for an extra 26,000 nurses or 12,000 hospital doctors for the next 7 years.
11) VAT. We can choose our own form of indirect taxation rather than be shackled to an EU mandate.
12 ) Controlled immigration. Priority given to skilled immigrants over unskilled.

Pfffffff! Little or nothing! Nearly all of that is rearrangement of deck chairs (I use the analogy deliberately).

We already 'control our borders'. We are just shit at doing it. More than 200,000 from OUTSIDE the EU again, in the stats released the other day. Either this is abject incompetance whch ain't gonna change, or we actually need these non EU immigrants, in which case what is all the whining about?

The 'net saving' is pie in the sky. It needs to be offset against.....job losses, trade tarrifs, and all the unknowns.

<sigh>

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pfffffff! Little or nothing! Nearly all of that is rearrangement of deck chairs (I use the analogy deliberately).

We already 'control our borders'. We are just shit at doing it. More than 200,000 from OUTSIDE the EU again, in the stats released the other day. Either this is abject incompetance whch ain't gonna change, or we actually need these non EU immigrants, in which case what is all the whining about?

The 'net saving' is pie in the sky. It needs to be offset against.....job losses, trade tarrifs, and all the unknowns.

<sigh>

The source is somewhat lardy Jonathan Arnott ex-UKIP MEP, don't waste your breath

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Wouldn't it just be easier to link to former UKIP'ers page that you copied this all from ?

http://www.jonathanarnott.co.uk/2018/06/benefits-of-brexit/

Would have saved you a whole load of copying and pasting, and given the swivel eyed loon the credit he deserves :shrug:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

As others have pointed out, this is just a copy and paste job. There are no benefits, because we already have the best deal.
We already have control and have never lost it.

I'll give you one reason to stay in the EU which isn't copied and pasted because you can hear it for yourself.

Boris Johnson has admitted the Tories want out of the EU to get rid of the protection of workers' rights.

[tweet]1019585958885380097[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1019585958885380097

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As others have pointed out, this is just a copy and paste job. There are no benefits, because we already have the best deal.
We already have control and have never lost it.

I'll give you one reason to stay in the EU which isn't copied and pasted because you can hear it for yourself.

Boris Johnson has admitted the Tories want out of the EU to get rid of the protection of workers' rights.

[tweet]1019585958885380097[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1019585958885380097

F**k business
F**k workers rights
F**k the environment
F**k food standards
F**k the Irish border
F**k the United Kingdom

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
To be fair, there could also be a number of people in the country who voted Remain and now wish to Brexit!

I would think that was a far less likley scenario why when somone makes a good choice would they change there minds as the evidance piles up in support of the remain vote, plus as most people must be far better informed now than at the time of the vote, l suspect many of those who voted leave would given the chance of a secret vote now vote remain, it might be diffrent being able to admit such an error of judgment publicly

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
F**k business
F**k workers rights
F**k the environment
F**k food standards
F**k the Irish border
F**k the United Kingdom

Just as long as the rich can still put their fortune into tax havens, and/or move their business interests to Ireland, Malta and keep their French villas.

In the meantime, I know several people who won't be able to take their holidays or visit grandchildren because the EH1C will become invalid, and due to existing conditions, cannot get travel insurance.

European girls who have married British men, will be forced to take out British citizenship despite having lived here, worked here and paid taxes here, just so that they can stay with their own children.
No Freedom of movement means nobody can retire to Spain any more.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I presume all this wailing and gnashing of teeth is to distract attention from Labour banning Dame Margaret Hodge for calling Corbin anti-semitic.Very poor form from a party trying to convince people they are not racists.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The PM called an unnecessary election last year squandering a double-digit poll lead and now her announcement of a soft Brexit option has seen a consistent Tory poll lead that lasted months completely reversed. To be fair that election delivered the stalemate parliament we have now and many people on here openly stated they were hoping to curtail/weaken the governments hand. So a bit surprising the same people then complain about the inevitable mess we find ourselves in ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

David Cameron, the worst prime minister since Chamberlain followed by May, who isn't really a prime minister, just a weak, useless politician.
Both have sent this country down the khazi and yet we still have people who defend them like they are their own children, although some of them on here seem to have lost their internet connection recently, light shower in the Hastings area maybe.
To think that this mob will be allowed to deal with workers rights scares the crap out of me.
If you haven't already seen it watch Hesletine on BBC News tonight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reading some recent posts....it really beggars belief. I keep telling myself that there are some real benefits of leaving at it is largely about whether you think they are worth the risk associate with the loss of what we have, and some of the unknowns.

But....it is all bollocks, isn't it?

That list of 'benefits' posted today....what an absolute joke, and I actually tried to engage with it :facepalm:

I do find it ironic that Boris wants out so 'we' can ditch EU-related workers' rights, while Corbyn wants out so that the UK can strengthen workers' rights. It says quite a lot about Boris and Corbyn, but it says even more about Brexit....when my enemy and the enemy of my enemy both want something you KNOW they have an insufficiency of necessary facts. Who knew, eh? Who knew (*cough* remainers *cough*).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here