Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan Categories...Tin Helmets on everyone!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I can get people who leave five mins before end to beat the queues. The ones that really piss me off are the ones who leave five mins before half time and come back five mins after restart.

They missed goal of the season !!

Must have been a real dilemma for them on hearing the goal celebration, stay in the queue for their half time pie and pint, or risk losing their place in the queue to run back pitch side to see the replay on the large screens

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another category:
HOAD - Hughton Out After Defeat - those fans who call for Hughton's head after we lose a couple of matches. They seem strangely quiet the last couple of days...

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I would like to consider myself as a reasonably balanced, fair chap, but I do have to admit to a horrible and distasteful streak of snobbery when it comes to new fans supporting the Albion. It's not that their being there that bothers me : we know that our ground would be horrible without them, but its when they offer an opinion on a performance, particularly when their view is more balanced and un-biased than my own! "You simply haven't earned the right to form an opinion" I will be telling myself inside, secretly incandescent with rage! Similar when they then refer to the Albion as "we". An, old boss of mine was a Stockport County fan - no problem - that was his home town. a couple of years ago, I discovered that he had been in touch with a mutual friend,a supporter of a Championship Club, taunting him before our game at the Amex ; how "we" would beat them, how he has got his season ticket for when "we" get to the Premier League!! I was seething. My bad, but can't help it!

Conversions should be a genuine category.
In other words, football fans who initially had an affiliation with another team (whether genuine or half-baked) - usually London-based Premier League side, but not always - who have come along to the Albion, loved it and have now genuinely switched their affiliation.

That's me. I was a West Ham fan till I went to my first Albion game when I changed allegiance and became a Brighton supporter.

Mind you, this was in 1959.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I never thought I'd see the day but there really is an element of 'glory-hunters' around the club these days. We even get 'Tourists'!! Us - little old Brighton?!! All very welcome and exciting times.

It got me thinking, when we built it, those that came included a fair number of Johnny Come Lately's or JCL's as they are fondly called. Which is fine, all welcome at church etc and not talking about those who couldn't get in at Withdean or returning from Goldstone era or too young.

But, with the aforementioned in mind, is there now a new category of supporter e.g. "the J-CEL's" (Johnny Came Extremely Late) or some other acronym that suits?

And at which point in time do you cross-categories (which are?) or are you forever 'classed' / it's a one-off thing depending on when and how you ended up supporting the Albion?

Thoughts? All tongue-in-cheek of course...:kiss:

There can't be that many JCELs as we have sold out our season tickets every year since we moved to The AMEX. How many tickets go on sale on a match by match basis...5,000?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Prefer the term "born again Seagulls" myself. Applies to me and few folks I know that aren't from Sussex but moved here to raise a family. The n the kids ask to go along to the Amex so take them and start enjoying the matches and atmosphere.

#metoo

I could hear the Elland Road crowd noise from my first house. I never really got into supporting Leeds when I was younger, though, and to this day have never been into the ground. I've now been in Sussex for about half of my life and my sons have given me a renewed interest in football. I've now been supporting the Albion a few years, and discovered NSC a couple of years ago (albeit only fairly recently got around to registering).

(yes, I know that's not how it's supposed to be used)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I would like to consider myself as a reasonably balanced, fair chap, but I do have to admit to a horrible and distasteful streak of snobbery when it comes to new fans supporting the Albion. It's not that their being there that bothers me : we know that our ground would be horrible without them, but its when they offer an opinion on a performance, particularly when their view is more balanced and un-biased than my own! "You simply haven't earned the right to form an opinion" I will be telling myself inside, secretly incandescent with rage! Similar when they then refer to the Albion as "we". An, old boss of mine was a Stockport County fan - no problem - that was his home town. a couple of years ago, I discovered that he had been in touch with a mutual friend,a supporter of a Championship Club, taunting him before our game at the Amex ; how "we" would beat them, how he has got his season ticket for when "we" get to the Premier League!! I was seething. My bad, but can't help it!

This is what's it all about! I've stopped telling such types I'm superior, there's no point when you know it ;) Plus I can rung rings round their Albion knowledge (and maybe, cough, late 70's/early 80's Liverpool memories...I liked Hitachi TVs...)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here