Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Red wine recommendations please

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
This thread has made me think I should splash out occasionally, my go to is 19 crimes I think it is the best cheap red . You can get it for about £5 a bottle at Asda if you get 6or more. Usually get chateau Neuf at Christmas but may give a few of these a go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Spanish wine is my favourite.

Marques de Riscal is hard to beat imo, also a big fan of Federico Paternina Banda Azul

Probably not ideal for the OPs friend though as they are nowhere near as earthy as Malbec (not a fan of this grape personally)

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
View attachment 101768

I’ve just opened this for later - I’ll let you know! :thumbsup:

Whilst delicious (one of the best examples of Rioja I’ve tried), it’s probably not as punchy as your friend would require. It’s beautifully soft, fruity and very drinkable so this bottle won’t be lasting too long 😊

I can certainly recommend a Tommasi Valpolicella Ripasso (Classico Superiore) though. You should be able to pick it up for around £20. I’ve bought it from Hedonism wines before. Packs a punch so your mate should like it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a side note , the VIVINO app is good to have .
Take a quick photo of the label and it will tell you what others thought of the wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to mention that, love the app and have got a few good recommendations off it. That said.......

Peter Lehmann 'Stonewell' Shiraz 2012 (Oz) - £35-42

...you won't do better than this for the tastes described IMO. A superb drop. and [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] really knows his stuff.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I like Yellow Tail. Cheap, widely available and tasty.

Paid 2.99 a bottle in Calais in May........going back in Dec and will stock up again.....another good value is Hardys..

Everyone has different wine tastes I drink what Iike and wont pay a fortune....

At a wedding the other weekend the hotel charged £8 for a glass of white wine....how the hell do they justify that?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To all readers who only buy cheap wine - just remember that if you pay £5 for a bottle of wine, the producer is getting 17p for the liquid inside the bottle. That’s the problem when your taxation system has both a fixed charge/bottle and a variable charge for wine.
I've long been aware the taxation argument, but supermarkets do do loss leaders sometimes. There's nothing to stop them paying a producer a couple of pounds, and then going ahead and selling it for a fiver anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Go to Butler's Wine Cellar on Queens Park Rd. Henry will sort out something that you want
Well I've been there, and Henry wasn't there :(

Anyway, this is what I left with:
AR Guentota Malbec, 2011
Orgo Saperavi, 2017
Brezza Barolo 2011

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting read. I’m slowly getting into wine. I always enjoy a wine with a nice meal but usually rely on the recommendations from the waiters (or sommelier if I’ve gone posh).

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I'd like to buy someone a nice bottle or two (or three) of red, and since we have a few drinkers here, I'm looking for some recommendation please :)

He likes bold reds and these days mostly goes for Malbec (often stocking up when it's on sale, always paying less than £10 a bottle I think). Above his general budget I think he likes Barolo.

I'd like recommendations of anything that beats a £10 Malbec, with a budget of £20 to £50 please :)

I can order online, or collect around the Brighton area.

Thanks

Go to Majestic and buy Chateau Musar from the Bekaa Valley in the Lebanon

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Sure, but which one?
Sorry, I don't know any expensive ones, as I'd not pay more than £10 for wine. Sainsbury's do a lovely one for £7, and some other nice ones too, maybe you could do a selection pack :)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017

Musar is generally an acquired taste, and can be very different year on year.

Perhaps try Carmenere. It's a short-lived grape (don't buy older than 2015) but has a lot of flavour and body, and won't break the bank. It holds its own against steak with sauce, curry, and other meals with stronger flavours and given the price (£15 is top-end) you can take a risk on one or two bottles to find out what you think.

https://www.winedirect.co.uk/de-martino-legado-carmenere-2016 is a good example.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Not mentioned so far, but a Priorat (from Catalonia) hits the spot. At low end can pick one up for £10 in Sainsbury's but worth spending an extra 5-10 to get a really nice one.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Musar is generally an acquired taste, and can be very different year on year.

Perhaps try Carmenere. It's a short-lived grape (don't buy older than 2015) but has a lot of flavour and body, and won't break the bank. It holds its own against steak with sauce, curry, and other meals with stronger flavours and given the price (£15 is top-end) you can take a risk on one or two bottles to find out what you think.

https://www.winedirect.co.uk/de-martino-legado-carmenere-2016 is a good example.

I agree fully that it’s an acquired taste, and needs to be kept carefully in my experience. Maybe try the Musar Jeune, same maker, similar blend but much younger and more consistent, and blumming delicious too, you can get it from Averys Wine online.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here