Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
There a number of possible reasons for being concerned that we might go into the crucial endgame with an inadequate squad to secure promotion.

1. Bloom has a track record of not supporting managers with enough money to get the right players - we need a big money striker like our competitors sign but we worry about FFP
2. Hughton was sacked by his last club because they thought he didn't have what it takes towards the end of the season
3. Albion are serial nearly men. We get close to promotion but don't get over the line.

Let's hope for some good news from the club soon.

WTF? Go and have a lie down....

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Only two reasons I can see for cutting the squad down as we have and are continuing to do;

1. We are reducing the wage bill to bring one or more players in.

2. We are trying to lower the wage bill to comply with FFP.

I don't think it's option 2 at all as I cannot see us losing control of the costs. We've not done that in any other season, so why now? Why would we risk everything we have done to this point by weakening the squad and risking losing the auto spot by playing the rest of the season with just three forwards? We strengthened from a worse position last season, why would we not do so this time? Lastly, I cannot see a 1st choice permanent signing, as it would make no sense at this point. We should be looking either at a loan or a PLR striker, doubt we will want to spend the money on that until we are in the PL.

I'd expect a decent loan to compete with Baldock with possibly signing a lower league punt to boot if there is one out there, both forwards but probably only the loan to get game time.

Wrong.

Whatever we spend on a striker now, he will most likely still be worth at least that in a years time. Look at the Rhodes situation.

Even if they are not, as long as the help secure prem football next season who cares? The end justifies the means and to say we should try and buy for next season now or not bother is a ridiculous gamble.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The same thing happens EVERY window and still people panic!! The only time we failed to get a player in was last window I believe.

Last window we signed two players who have significantly improved the team / squad - Norwood and Duffy. We also made Sidwell permanent.

The addition of Duffy has improved our defence, such that we are the best in the league.
The addition of Norwood and Sidwell is the reason we are top - that we actually had proper cover in midfield, so didn't hemorrhage points when Kayal got crocked.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
There a number of possible reasons for being concerned that we might go into the crucial endgame with an inadequate squad to secure promotion.

1. Bloom has a track record of not supporting managers with enough money to get the right players - we need a big money striker like our competitors sign but we worry about FFP
2. Hughton was sacked by his last club because they thought he didn't have what it takes towards the end of the season
3. Albion are serial nearly men. We get close to promotion but don't get over the line.

Wobble your head a bit mate.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Yes, but not every club is top of the Championship with probably the greatest facilities outside the Prem, and definitely the best manager... no excuses, get it done...
Exactly

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Last window we signed two players who have significantly improved the team / squad - Norwood and Duffy. We also made Sidwell permanent.

The addition of Duffy has improved our defence, such that we are the best in the league.
The addition of Norwood and Sidwell is the reason we are top - that we actually had proper cover in midfield, so didn't hemorrhage points when Kayal got crocked.

Don't forget super Glenn!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not really interested in who we have signed so far etc etc. We need another striker desperately and not to bring one in now will be totally stupid and a huge gamble that should be avoided

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Are you mental?

Not supporting managers with enough money? Have you seen our squad? Have you seen our eye-watering losses funded by that man Bloom?

The club are clearly trying hard to get a striker in, but...

1) Won't spunk a load of cash to just add A.N.Other to the squad for the sake of having current strikers + 1.

2) Anyone with a striker we have an interest in will be aware of our position and will be wanting absolute top dollar. At some point, even with Bloom's wealth and the lure of Premier League riches there comes a point when the club have to say "That's just silly - no thanks". Without having the information that they do, I'm happy to trust them to make that call correctly.

Don't get me wrong - I want us to have another striker by this time next week. I believe that not being able to get Murray (or an equivalent) last January cost us promotion or, at least, the chance of playing at Wembley. But I'm also happy to trust Messrs Winstanley, Hughton, Barber and Bloom to continue to make the right decisions - they've got a very good track record.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not really interested in who we have signed so far etc etc. We need another striker desperately and not to bring one in now will be totally stupid and a huge gamble that should be avoided

Short-signted.

"who we have signed so far etc etc" is exactly why we're top of the table and nine points clear of third (and with a game in hand). It's because the people charged with assembling the squad we need have done a fantastic job, particularly to turn round the horrific position left behind by Hyypia and Burke so quickly. How about having a little bit of faith that they'll continue to get it right, eh?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Short-signted.

"who we have signed so far etc etc" is exactly why we're top of the table and nine points clear of third (and with a game in hand). It's because the people charged with assembling the squad we need have done a fantastic job, particularly to turn round the horrific position left behind by Hyypia and Burke so quickly. How about having a little bit of faith that they'll continue to get it right, eh?
I do have faith but you conveniently missing my point about signing another striker. We are almost over the line but are short up top. To risk not signing one now is simply criminal.

I'm also well aware of why we are top and who we have signed. It still doesn't get away from the fact we need another striker.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do have faith but you conveniently missing my point about signing another striker. We are almost over the line but are short up top. To risk not signing one now is simply criminal.

I'm also well aware of why we are top and who we have signed. It still doesn't get away from the fact we need another striker.

Missed your point about signing another striker? I said this in the post above:

"Don't get me wrong - I want us to have another striker by this time next week. I believe that not being able to get Murray (or an equivalent) last January cost us promotion or, at least, the chance of playing at Wembley. But I'm also happy to trust Messrs Winstanley, Hughton, Barber and Bloom to continue to make the right decisions - they've got a very good track record."

But it's not your money. It's not you trying to balance the short, medium and long-term wellbeing of this club. You probably have less than 1% of the information needed to assess what the signing of any particular player may mean for this club.

Damning the club with words like "really stupid" and "criminal" is, well, really stupid and criminal.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Missed your point about signing another striker? I said this in the post above:

"Don't get me wrong - I want us to have another striker by this time next week. I believe that not being able to get Murray (or an equivalent) last January cost us promotion or, at least, the chance of playing at Wembley. But I'm also happy to trust Messrs Winstanley, Hughton, Barber and Bloom to continue to make the right decisions - they've got a very good track record."

But it's not your money. It's not you trying to balance the short, medium and long-term wellbeing of this club. You probably have less than 1% of the information needed to assess what the signing of any particular player may mean for this club.

Damning the club with words like "really stupid" and "criminal" is, well, really stupid and criminal.

There is DEFINITELY 1 more coming in.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Like everybody else I'm getting concerned that we have not yet brought in another striker but :
1)we're reducing the wage bill by loaning out players which hopefully means that we will bring in somebody else
2) I have complete faith in CH and his team to bring in not just "a" striker but the "right" striker - one who can walk straight into the team and start making his presence felt immediately
3) it ain't my money and I wouldn't want to waste money on a disruptive influence (a la McCormack) or a lazy player (a la Adebayor) so I'm certain that Mr Bloom doesn't want to waste HIS money
4) I shall still have faith even if we don't get a player in. It will have happened for the right reasons. The togetherness of the team is of paramount importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Like everybody else I'm getting concerned that we have not yet brought in another striker but :
1)we're reducing the wage bill by loaning out players which hopefully means that we will bring in somebody else
2) I have complete faith in CH and his team to bring in not just "a" striker but the "right" striker - one who can walk straight into the team and start making his presence felt immediately
3) it ain't my money and I wouldn't want to waste money on a disruptive influence (a la McCormack) or a lazy player (a la Adebayor) so I'm certain that Mr Bloom doesn't want to waste HIS money
4) I shall still have faith even if we don't get a player in. It will have happened for the right reasons. The togetherness of the team is of paramount importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbh at this stage I wouldn't even mind an average striker who tries really hard rather than no one. 3 strikers at the club is way too risky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here