Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

generation snowflake

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Believe you me, that kind of behaviour isn't confined to the middle class. The lower class parents are more likely to think that their child is the next x factor or BGT star though.

This. They are far more likely to complain that Chelsea didn't get to do her solo hairbrush rendition of Rhiana's latest chart topper than whether hey made the first team or got their piece of "art" in the end of term showcase.

I

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Believe you me, that kind of behaviour isn't confined to the middle class. The lower class parents are more likely to think that their child is the next x factor or BGT star though.

"I know Tyson is shit at algebra but he can sing Everybody Hurts beautifully" - fair point.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah it does, but it's not really that big a deal. The idea as I understand it is just for the kids to be active. Most kids don't really care and just see it as a bit of fun.

From my own kids experience, schools do have other avenues for competitive sports. Usually in more traditional sports such as football, athletics, rugby etc.

The FA guidance on youth football is quite interesting

http://www.thefa.com/news/2015/Dec/09/fa-reiterates-youth-league-results-position-091215

Again from my own kids playing in these type of leagues I can say that it doesn't hamper them at all.

Not the same thing as non-competitive sports day though. I coach under 10s and my son plays in the team. Each match is competitive and they certainly know when they've won and lost. The parents keep tabs too. You just don't have a league table. At his school sports day, however, they play the most pathetic games and no one seems interested. As [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] says they hate it, well mine do anyway.

Talking with my co-manager the other week, he believes there is a move within the FA to extend the non-publishing of tables and allocation of points up to U16. This would be a huge mistake and we're both against it. The reason is, simply, that from U12 they go in to divisions based on ability, so a less able side is still able to compete for promotion. From minis to 11s the leagues are geographically based and it means the abilities vary too much. For example, my side had won their last two games and been very close in two others. They have also lost by over seven goals twice. I can only assume the side we beat lost to those other sides by similar or more. Trust me, losing by a hatful of goals is no fun for either players or coaches while winning by the same doesn't stretch the more able players and turns them fairly arrogant.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I was always of the impression sports days were an inclusive event, giving the kids who were too Joey to get into a sports team a chance to lose in front of the whole school and their parents?

As an aside, most young adults I meet are pretty thick skinned, go getting whizz bangers.

Really?!? in this day and age, you're going with that moniker? It's not 1970 anymore.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Most kids don't really care ? Certainly not with my kids or their mates, or other kids judging by other posts on here

From what I've seen that is the case. The kids just treat it as fun. Certainly the case for my kids and their friends.

I can't comment for what other people say to their kids about sports day, but I've said to mine that it's just about having fun. They get it.

I'm talking about kids up until about 8 years old. From then onwards the schools my kids have attended introduce competition. Plus when they get to secondary school it's certainly competitive.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Not the same thing as non-competitive sports day though. I coach under 10s and my son plays in the team. Each match is competitive and they certainly know when they've won and lost. The parents keep tabs too. You just don't have a league table. At his school sports day, however, they play the most pathetic games and no one seems interested. As [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] says they hate it, well mine do anyway.

Talking with my co-manager the other week, he believes there is a move within the FA to extend the non-publishing of tables and allocation of points up to U16. This would be a huge mistake and we're both against it. The reason is, simply, that from U12 they go in to divisions based on ability, so a less able side is still able to compete for promotion. From minis to 11s the leagues are geographically based and it means the abilities vary too much. For example, my side had won their last two games and been very close in two others. They have also lost by over seven goals twice. I can only assume the side we beat lost to those other sides by similar or more. Trust me, losing by a hatful of goals is no fun for either players or coaches while winning by the same doesn't stretch the more able players and turns them fairly arrogant.

Yeah I know it's different. I just posted it because it's interesting.

I have two sons who play, one at u13 and one at u9. So I've been fortunate/unfortunate to experience the highs and lows of youth football!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Outside of the pages of the Daily Mail, has anyone ever actually witnessed such a thing? We used to hear a lot about these sports days - normally in some angry article about a left-wing local authority, like Lambeth or somewhere, but its basically bullshit, isn't it? A couple of isolated incidents, in schools led by misguided individuals - then extrapolated by foaming at the mouth crappy editorials, into a national malaise, that never existed.

And hear we have a classic case of a knee-jerk reaction that the Daily Mail must be to blame whatever the problem is. And by the responses that you've got, it looks like you're wrong that it has never happened outside of a few isolated cases.

I don't mean to have a pop but the one jumping to conclusions here and then getting themselves all aerated because of preconceived prejudices about it isn't the Daily Mail but you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Characteristics

Generation Snowflake members "are genuinely distressed by ideas that run contrary to their worldview"; they are more likely than previous generations of students to report that they have mental health problems. A UK Higher Education Policy Institute survey of university students in 2016 "found that 76% would ban speakers who had views that offended them, while half (48%) wanted universities to be declared safe spaces where debate can only take place within strict rules." This is coupled with a strong sense of entitlement.

Fox argues that Generation Snowflake was created by over-protecting people when they were children. In the UK, Tom Bennett was recruited by the government to address behaviour in schools. He commented that Generation Snowflake children at school can be over-protected from reality, leading to problems when they progress to university and are confronted with real-world truths. They can react with intolerance towards people and things that they believe may offend someone.

Only right and fitting - not to mention deeply ironic - that there should be an all-encompassing term that so elegantly captures the very essence of those that like to chuck derogatory labels around like confetti. And as labels go, has to be said, the label Generation Snowflake is pretty damn near perfect in every way, much the same as Generation X before it was. Can't wait for the book!

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Really?!? in this day and age, you're going with that moniker? It's not 1970 anymore.

Generation-Snowflake-27-650.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And hear we have a classic case of a knee-jerk reaction that the Daily Mail must be to blame whatever the problem is. And by the responses that you've got, it looks like you're wrong that it has never happened outside of a few isolated cases.

I don't mean to have a pop but the one jumping to conclusions here and then getting themselves all aerated because of preconceived prejudices about it isn't the Daily Mail but you.

Not getting 'aerated' in the slightest, thanks :thumbsup:

Just setting it out as I had experienced it, through 20 years worth of my nephews and own kids, through ten or more schools in four counties - I've NEVER seen a non-competitive sports day. From this thread, I'm clearly wrong that they are indeed a thing of the past, though - so very obviously stand corrected on that.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not getting 'aerated' in the slightest, thanks :thumbsup:

Just setting it out as I had experienced it, through 20 years worth of my nephews and own kids, through ten or more schools in four counties - I've NEVER seen a non-competitive sports day. From this thread, I'm clearly wrong that they are indeed a thing of the past, though - so very obviously stand corrected on that.

good friend of mine taught at Moulescombe. She definitely held non loser sports days. I don't think it does the kids harm particularly it's just a bit pandering.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

What league do your kids play in GB ? Mine both play in the mid Sussex league, I'm sure they had league tables as far back as u9s , prepared to be corrected though.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
No idea where it came from but I quite like the expression.

It sums up the generation who have been through the education system with the "No losers" Sports days.

At my ex's school, their school sports day was one where everyone took part, and no-one was deemed the winner (rather than everyone). All the kids had a great time, and they all just got on with it.

That's very different from the parents' race though. Jeeeeesus.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
From what I've seen that is the case. The kids just treat it as fun. Certainly the case for my kids and their friends.

I can't comment for what other people say to their kids about sports day, but I've said to mine that it's just about having fun. They get it.

I'm talking about kids up until about 8 years old. From then onwards the schools my kids have attended introduce competition. Plus when they get to secondary school it's certainly competitive.

I've said nothing to my kids about it , they are the ones who have brought it up.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

My son joined a locally run league outfit at the age of 5 (not affiliated to the FA) and I was incredibly surprised by the mentality of the organisers and coaches of the other teams in terms of their competitiveness. The results and the leagues were published on the internet and at the park, and the children of the teams in that age group were incredibly (almost unnaturally) competitive, fueled by the parents and the coaches of the teams. Of course those children who wanted to enjoy the participatory element of the games, soon found themselves disliking the shouting and abuse from the touchline, as well as the visciousness of the children who wanted to win. Of the 6 children who weren't "up to competitive standard" which included my son, only 1 of the remained to move into the next "season". The other 5 hated it so much, that they didn't return. My son now enjoys football with a proper FA affiliated coach, as well as his school football coaching, but it took him around a year a the age of 7 to fully enjoy football again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do many secondary schools still have a Sports Day?

Our lads' one did / does. Parents are not permitted to go along though - it is purely for the pupils.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
At my ex's school, their school sports day was one where everyone took part, and no-one was deemed the winner (rather than everyone). All the kids had a great time, and they all just got on with it.

That's very different from the parents' race though. Jeeeeesus.

Hang on a minute , you've posted about your ex and her school and HAVENT mentioned that she had John Prescotts (or whoever it was ) phone number :lolol:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I've said nothing to my kids about it , they are the ones who have brought it up.

I'm not saying that you did. After going to sports day for the first time with my eldest daughter and seeing what it was about, I explained to my other kids when they went that it's just about having fun. They get plenty of opportunities to participate in competitive sports anyway so they saw that it's not that big a deal and just had a laugh with their friends.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The best example of Generation Snowflake can be found with millennials at UK and US campuses with their triggers, safe spaces and intolerance to views that don't accord with theirs. A case in point was the NUS women's conference last year where delegates were encouraged not to clap but to wave jazz hands because clapping could trigger anxiety. Also at the same conference a motion was put forward denouncing gay men appropriating black women's culture. Recently a US university banned sushi because of cultural appropriation. More worryingly, Germaine Greer got banned from speaking for daring to have views on transgender people that didn't accord with the prevailing view. An LGBT officer at another university refused to share a platform with Peter Tatchell because he is 'racist and transphobic'.

I forget who but someone hit the nail on the head recently when they said that left-liberal has replaced Anglicanism as the high status opinion in academia in the UK but that rather than encouraging free-thinking and being places where students are intellectually challenged, they become places where dogma is enforced and intolerance is the order of the day. The likes of true feminist academics such as Christina H Sommers, Camille Paglia and Germaine Greer have all spoken at length about this. Unsurprisingly, all 3 have been subject to virulent protests when speaking publicly at universities in the UK and US.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here