Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great weekend running. I got my long run out of the way early on Saturday – SDW+parkrun: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1377953170.

Good to see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at the end, then went for a nice breakfast in town, then to see the Albion win. Top day all round...

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Ran Barns Green half today. I know many on here have run this before but was my first time and really impressed. It's such a great event and a real surprise to find a race of that scale going on around a tiny West Sussex village. Really well organised and supported with a great course which has a bit of everything thrown in. The college hospital was unexpected, and 4 or 5 bands kept up the noise levels which all made a great atmosphere. I had a good morning and went round just under 1:35.
God thats quick. I was happy with my 1:48 which knocked a chunk off my PB. Weather was good. Its not a flat course but i knew that. Well done on the 1:35.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I completed my first trail half marathon today in 2 hours 2min. The course was fantastic with lots of quite technical elements running through the woods and over stiles so I am pleased with time particularly as I had a injury and a family holiday interrupt my training. I also had a strange thing happen to me which was cramp in my toes with a miles to go! They kept curling up of their own accord...I didn't even know this was possible!

The body is capable of all sorts of painful things during a long run! Well done; sounds very challenging.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ran Barns Green half today. I know many on here have run this before but was my first time and really impressed. It's such a great event and a real surprise to find a race of that scale going on around a tiny West Sussex village. Really well organised and supported with a great course which has a bit of everything thrown in. The college hospital was unexpected, and 4 or 5 bands kept up the noise levels which all made a great atmosphere. I had a good morning and went round just under 1:35.

Yes, definitely a friendly event, and I fared much better this year (actuallly ran the whole way this time). I put that down to the provision of pacers this year, and I sat in behind the 90 minute guy most of the way, only starting to lose form at the last water station.

Anyway, it clearly worked as I finished just under 1:32 (my second quickest time for the distance), and bagged myself a gold finishers medal!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I ran my first every race yesterday at the Windsor Half Marathon. My target was to complete it in under 2 hours and I managed 1 hour 56 minutes, very pleased with myself. Was a great event and the support from everyone in the crowd and the volunteers was excellent. Felt good all the way around and managed to pace myself, even when getting overtaken by loads of people at points. The next one for me is the Brighton Half at the end of February, can’t wait.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I did the East Grunstead 10k on Sunday . Mostly off road (School playing field to start, then a track to join the Worth Way before finishing on the road back to Imberhorne School - it did however feel like it was all running up hill apart from one big long downhill towards the end). A good size field (372 runners) and I finished in 54.49 152/372. A bit of a narrow paths during the first 2k hence the first mile was my slowest!

A great event run in the name of local lad Andy Ripley (England Rugby player who died of prostate cancer in 2010). I think they said that over the years the race has been running they have now raised over £20k for the local Lions and Prostate cancer.

https://www.strava.com/activities/724401949

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I snuck in and did 17 miles of the Berlin marathon at the weekend. Tapering down and just under two weeks until Chicago now.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I know it has been discussed on here before, but I can't find it within this thread. I am looking at updating my running watch, currently have the Garmin 210, but looking at the 235 or 230. They seem expensive but are they worth the money. Tempted with the 235 but at £210 it is a lot of money. Is it worth it for the built in HRM?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know it has been discussed on here before, but I can't find it within this thread. I am looking at updating my running watch, currently have the Garmin 210, but looking at the 235 or 230. They seem expensive but are they worth the money. Tempted with the 235 but at £210 it is a lot of money. Is it worth it for the built in HRM?

I've not been opening this thread as I'm sulking because I can't run currently, so I'm not sure why I opened it now.

Anyway, I have the FR235. I can't really say whether it is worth it or not, as it's my first running watch. Previously I relied on Strava on my iPhone.

It's a really good piece of kit, and I've been really impressed with it. I find it interesting to look at what Garmin and Strava say with regard to how hard I've been working, and what training zones that puts me in, but it's far from essential for me and I could live without it easily.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

I have the FR 235 which I brought about 2 months ago based on recommendation on here, I am really still getting to know how all of the functionality works but where I am finding the heart rate monitor useful is pacing on easy runs. I have a habit of overdoing my training and running too fast on easy runs and as most of my training is over trails its quite difficult to monitor pace. I have switched to the heart rate monitor during running to see if my heart rate is high which it often is and then slowed down until my heart rate falls to a sensible level.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
An update from me back from the Pyrenees. Rheumatism flare up has spread to neck and whole of foot. Some days ok others sheer hell. Unable to do any driving back home. Seeing GP this morning as my daily 2,400mg of ibuprofen can't continue.
Only chance of doing 1066 Way will be as a walk if this has gone by then.
May drop in to watch Hove Parkrun tomorrow after the Waitrose shop and may catch up with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]?
Noticed some good times at Barnes Green. Keep running boys.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I did Berlin at the weekend, my first ever run over 30k. Round in 3:47:46 which pleased me. Great occasion and course.

Well done.

I'm impressed by anyone who has completed a marathon or ultra to be honest, I'm almost embarrassed to say that the furthest I've ever run is 14 miles! :blush:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
An update from me back from the Pyrenees. Rheumatism flare up has spread to neck and whole of foot. Some days ok others sheer hell. Unable to do any driving back home. Seeing GP this morning as my daily 2,400mg of ibuprofen can't continue.
May drop in to watch Hove Parkrun tomorrow after the Waitrose shop and may catch up with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]?

Might see you there...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Get well soon.

I'm another who may be long term injured. Two four hour flights in three days for work have set my knee back to square one. Out of Bright10 :(

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Get well soon.

I'm another who may be long term injured. Two four hour flights in three days for work have set my knee back to square one. Out of Bright10 :(
My physio said flying was crap for a swollen knee as well. She's not overly impressed with my trips to Spain, New York and Malaysia in the last 3 weeks. It's still not right, but I've inched weekly mileage back up to 35 ish and it's not getting any worse. Can't do any uneven surfaces though. Gutted to be missing the Downslink run on Sunday but just not ready at the moment (or fit enough)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My physio said flying was crap for a swollen knee as well. She's not overly impressed with my trips to Spain, New York and Malaysia in the last 3 weeks. It's still not right, but I've inched weekly mileage back up to 35 ish and it's not getting any worse. Can't do any uneven surfaces though. Gutted to be missing the Downslink run on Sunday but just not ready at the moment (or fit enough)

It's annoying. Had a great meeting and kicked off a new project sucessfully, got taken out for a huge meze meal with copious amounts of wine and raki and saw a new country. I wouldn't really want to change that at all but 8 hours on Easyjet has set me back two to three weeks. Got the far less glamorous Peterborough next week. Three different trains each way or six hours of clutch changing. FFS.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Blimey what a bunch of crocks we are!

Yes should be at Hove Park tomorrow [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] be good to catch up.

Best wishes to all with various ailments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here