Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a used Audi from main dealer, can they be haggled?

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
Been looking to purchase a Q7, have already traveled up north to look at a couple from car traders which tbh were sheds. So still in the market, I have seen one on Audi Web site which pretty much ticks all the boxes and priced at 30k. A little over my budget, but do you think they will flex a bit on price? Or are dealers firm on pricing? What would be reasonable to expect off if any?
Any main dealer with some inside knowledge on selling used cars?

I have found traders like cargiant don't budge and even charge an admin fee of £99, for what?
Grips my s*** !
Doesn't feel like a buyers market.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Been looking to purchase a Q7, have already traveled up north to look at a couple from car traders which tbh were sheds. So still in the market, I have seen one on Audi Web site which pretty much ticks all the boxes and priced at 30k. A little over my budget, but do you think they will flex a bit on price? Or are dealers firm on pricing? What would be reasonable to expect off if any?

I have found traders like cargiant don't budge and even charge an admin fee of £99, for what?
Grips my s*** !

I think it may depend on how long the car you are after has been in stock and whether it is has been superseded by another model. My daughter managed to get a few hundred pounds worth of movement from a main dealer on an Audi A3 a couple of years ago

Toongull

Jul 25, 2008
Hadrian's Wall
I've been looking at Q7's myself and have spoken to a friend who works at an Audi dealership in Bournemouth. She said it all depends on the quantity of stock and how new the car is as to what they will offer you. The salesperson work on commission so they won't want to give you too much off. They're more likely to offer you tax, fuel, free servicing etc rather than money off.

There is a Q event from the 9 - 11 April at all main Audi dealers where they are advertising money off on all new vehicles in the Q range.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Grips my s*** !
were you in the army ? I only ask because ive never heard the phrase outside of the mob

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You may get a bit, but all to do with timing. Unfortunately you've just missed their end of quarter (end of March) and probably some dealers end of year which won't have helped. Depends how long the stock has sat there etc, and possibly if they took the car in as part of selling a new one what they had to do to make that deal work.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They're more likely to offer you tax, fuel, free servicing etc rather than money off.

This. I've usually managed to get a full tank of fuel, first service for free, free mats etc - getting the actually price down has always been more difficult although if your part-ex'ing they will often up the value of your old car.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, especially if you don't have a car to part-ex. Key is make sure that the dealer knows that you have options of other Q7s from other dealers.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I always try the rival comparable vehicle, do all your internet work and then push for best price, or think of what it doesn't have that you want, they can always be more flexible with discounting or giving extras, oh err Mrs!

* PS Don't spell discounting wrong, they censoring is amazing!

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014

Grips my s*** !

"Grips my s***!" Haven't heard that since I left the Navy years ago...lol...

Jul 7, 2003
Definitely worth looking at Northern dealers. A few years ago I bought a Honda CRV from Cannock - exactly the same spec, mileage, etc as one down here but £2k cheaper.

If you are part ex-ing in a car yourself, what I have found is that they won't budge much on the sticker price but you can haggle up your part-ex so work on the price from both ends. After a bit of haggling I come up with a price that I say is as much as I can manage and say to them if they can get to that then they have a deal. This is usually around £500 - £1000 less than my budget.

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
Thanks, some good advice.
I will try to haggle hard and get as much as I can from them.
I am going to look at a couple in the London area this week and both need to come down in price to full within my budget.

No never in the forces.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Being a retailer it really grips my sh**! when people expect to pay less than the shelf price, the only loser is us poor guys trying to make a living.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Being a retailer it really grips my sh**! when people expect to pay less than the shelf price, the only loser is us poor guys trying to make a living.

But different on a car compared to a tin of beans though innit.

Dealers make loads on rebates, promos, SPIFFS etc

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
APR on PCP or HP is usually cheaper on new cars than used cars. So sometimes it can work out cheaper to buy new. Total cost of ownership can be cheaper too as servicing is usually thrown in free for three years and you don't need to worry about the MOT.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I believe I saw advice somewhere, that taking out some sort of finance deal, then cancelling within the cooling off period and paying cash helped get a good deal due to the fact that the dealer expects to make money on the finance deal.

But bear in mind i am getting on for BGs age and my memory isn't what it was, so if it's wrong you can go **** yourself :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here