Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So, here it is. Half Marathon week.

And just as sods luck would have it, I feel horrendously ill today! I'm sure it's my body panicking.

Anyway, I wanted to get one more long run in today and then completely stop until race day. Would that be wise? It's more for a bit of a morale boost than physically preparing!

If you feel horrendously ill, no it would't be wise.

See how you feel tomorrow, and if you still feel the same, I would bin any thoughts of a long run, wait until you are feeling better and go out mid-week for a shorter, easy run.

From memory you were up to 10 miles? That should be fine come race day - the atmosphere and the crowd will pull you along.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
From memory you were up to 10 miles? That should be fine come race day - the atmosphere and the crowd will pull you along.

I managed 24 miles last week over 3 runs. a 7, 8 and 9.

Really want to beat the psychological barrier of doing 10 miles today. It's arguably the first time that I've actually WANTED to go for a run :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I managed 24 miles last week over 3 runs. a 7, 8 and 9.

Really want to beat the psychological barrier of doing 10 miles today. It's arguably the first time that I've actually WANTED to go for a run :lolol:

Yep, I completely get that. However, if you go out and have an awful run today and DON'T make 10 miles, you might feel worse.

At best, I would leave it until tomorrow to see how you feel.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yep, I completely get that. However, if you go out and have an awful run today and DON'T make 10 miles, you might feel worse.

That's fair enough. Thanks for the advice.

I will get home and have a sensible think! As you say, tomorrow is always an option. Again, I think it's the shock of actually WANTING to go which is the first time that's happened!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

This. This and This.

mejonaNO12-aka-riskit carry that positive fibe you have on to the weekend...you'll be iching to get out there and run.. Wrap yourself in cotton wool and look after yourself, look forward to reading how you got on.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Mixed emotions for my run tonight. First the positives 17 miles done and 2 hours 5 minutes on my feet. I'm well ahead of schedule based on last year. Distance felt fine and managed a sub 7 minute last mile with a sprint finish.

On the flip side I had no pace at all tonight, couldn't go quicker than 7:15 and legs felt heavy, possibly a combination of last weeks Worthing half marathon and a bigger than usual lunch.

I also think I've ballsed up the Brighton Half now. My groin is in pieces and I'm not sure I have the recovery time or the pace to match my Worthing time.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1059988952

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mixed emotions for my run tonight. First the positives 17 miles done and 2 hours 5 minutes on my feet. I'm well ahead of schedule based on last year. Distance felt fine and managed a sub 7 minute last mile with a sprint finish.

On the flip side I had no pace at all tonight, couldn't go quicker than 7:15 and legs felt heavy, possibly a combination of last weeks Worthing half marathon and a bigger than usual lunch.

I also think I've ballsed up the Brighton Half now. My groin is in pieces and I'm not sure I have the recovery time or the pace to match my Worthing time.

Strava has 17 miles at 7:00 pace. How did that work?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

We all have runs like that – it happens. Sometimes it just seems to be 'one of those things', while other times it could be other factors. I wouldn't worry too much about it - your quality will shine through on race day, I'm sure.

As for Brighton Half, why not treat it as a training run, if you don't think your times are there, and the chance of an injury? Depends what you want out of it, but I wouldn't risk it if you're not 100%, so would be tempted to do the half and then add on a bit to take it up to 18 or something?

On the other hand, you might start off on Sunday and absolutely smash it!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We all have runs like that – it happens. Sometimes it just seems to be 'one of those things', while other times it could be other factors. I wouldn't worry too much about it - your quality will shine through on race day, I'm sure.

As for Brighton Half, why not treat it as a training run, if you don't think your times are there, and the chance of an injury? Depends what you want out of it, but I wouldn't risk it if you're not 100%, so would be tempted to do the half and then add on a bit to take it up to 18 or something?

On the other hand, you might start off on Sunday and absolutely smash it!

Cheers, I'll see how I rock up on race day. Going to walk into work rather than cycle to get myself moving again plus plenty of protein to aide recovery.

I ran across the bridge onto the bike lane route between Shoreham and Lancing for the first time. Much nicer than the alternative of going through the streets to the North.

Happy to just enjoy the Half Sunday as my goal of sub 1:30 was achieved at Worthing so I can relax and see what happens.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers, I'll see how I rock up on race day. Going to walk into work rather than cycle to get myself moving again plus plenty of protein to aide recovery.

I ran across the bridge onto the bike lane route between Shoreham and Lancing for the first time. Much nicer than the alternative of going through the streets to the North.

Happy to just enjoy the Half Sunday as my goal of sub 1:30 was achieved at Worthing so I can relax and see what happens.

Now here's a challenge for you: Some fella posted the other day that he ran across that bridge in 31 seconds. When I looked, my fastest time was 54, or something, and that was as part of a longer run, when not going for it. Reckon you can crack sub-30?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Now here's a challenge for you: Some fella posted the other day that he ran across that bridge in 31 seconds. When I looked, my fastest time was 54, or something, and that was as part of a longer run, when not going for it. Reckon you can crack sub-30?

Any idea on the length of the bridge? I've never been a great sprinter but if reckon anything around 400 metres and below I could do at 5:20 pace, although I'm plucking figures out of thin air here.

The only thing I can gauge it on would be the final 0.10 of a 5k I think 35 seconds is my best, I'm guessing the bridge must be close to 160 metres maybe slightly shorter?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Any idea on the length of the bridge? I've never been a great sprinter but if reckon anything around 400 metres and below I could do at 5:20 pace, although I'm plucking figures out of thin air here.

The only thing I can gauge it on would be the final 0.10 of a 5k I think 35 seconds is my best, I'm guessing the bridge must be close to 160 metres maybe slightly shorter?
No idea BN. I'll go for it on Wednesday morning and then you should be able to work it out, or get an idea from the Strava segment.

Or something[emoji38]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. Good and bad advice from [MENTION=16109]Greg[/MENTION] Bobkin Good as to take it easy at the moment and bad for getting you to sprint over the Adur Footbridge. :lol::lol:
I don't want to delve to far into your groin region but if it is your lymph nodes that are swollen you need to cut back on pace or get really run down. This used to happen to me hence the LSD approach to training Long Slow Distance. Good luck on recovery.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really struggled with an interval run this morning. Having felt pretty good on Monday after my 16 miler I got all the tiredness and pain this morning, including stiff calves again. Cut down from the planned four intervals at race pace to three and the last one was a struggle.

Not much left before Sunday now though so I can give them a rest. Probably 40 minutes on the dreadmill on Thursday if I get back to my hotel on time and a light jog with the boys' football team on Saturday morning. Then my first ever half marathon race *excited face*

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Good day all. I'm a long time follower of this excellent thread, and have benefited greatly from its practical advice and motivational powers. Joined the Strava group yesterday (representing the High Weald) so thought I should introduce myself formally :wave:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
IMG_20160223_100355113.jpg I bought this beauty from TK Maxx @ Guiness Boy. I have been against rollers for 5 years but I was wrong. This has worked wonders.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good day all. I'm a long time follower of this excellent thread, and have benefited greatly from its practical advice and motivational powers. Joined the Strava group yesterday (representing the High Weald) so thought I should introduce myself formally :wave:

Hmmm. High Weald. Did you take my silver for elevation by 6 foot last week? I would have run up the stairs when I got home if I had known. Must be hard for you to get a flat course round there. Great countryside.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Hmmm. High Weald. Did you take my silver for elevation by 6 foot last week? I would have run up the stairs when I got home if I had known. Must be hard for you to get a flat course round there. Great countryside.

Ooooh looks like I did. Yep there's nothing but hills around here. I've learned to love them. Endless trail options too.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Never take your running kit off until past mid night on Sunday... You should know that by now knocky ��

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here