Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pukka Pies

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Piglets Pantry for me every time. Pukka okay, but just that only ‘okay’. IMO of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I think the answer is that it is practically impossible to create a mass produced pie that is available across the UK in supermarkets, chippies and football grounds.
For a mass produced pie pukkas are ok, had far worse and as I said the Walsall Balti that I thought was pukka was indeed, well, pukka.
You can't compare food like pukka to smaller companies that provide a similar product, they are nearly always better.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not a great fan of our pies but clearly many are, local company and adds to the unique Amex experience.

Sorry BG prefer what we have than Pukka Pies

Yeah, agree. I really don't want to say "Things were better in the old days" but the Piglet pies sold at the Amex now are, just IMO, way worse than they used to be when the stadium first opened. All too often now the interiors are just molten lava whereas in the 'old days' the fillings were really chunky.

Still, as you say, they're 'ours' and they're local, so fair play. Prefer the burgers outside now though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
100,000 x 365 days = 36.5 mil NOT 60 mil.
Very FLAKY figures ...
I'd be questioning your sauce.

To be fair, BG did cite sales of 60m, not production volume. Perhaps they’re currently working through the last 10 years stock, and will increase production when stocks have been depleted?

As an aside: has anyone ever seen BG and Crodo logged on at the same time?

boik

Had these beauties at End Of The Road and they were awesome.

P1040370.JPG

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
When the Amex first opened the Piglet pies were excellent. Over the years they have deteriorated to the point that I no longer buy them. I can only presume that we signed up to a lengthy contract and as we are "tied in" Piglets are now serving up any old crap. Their standards have gone downhill pretty quickly.

Having said that, they are still superior to Pukka which I refuse to eat under any circumstances!

I echo the comment made earlier about Wolfies pies. Steak & Ale and Steak & Kidney are really good. (Head south from Hove station and you can't miss it. 1 minute walk!)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Nobody has mentioned Fray Bentos pies. Every now and again, maybe once or twice a year, bloody lovely. I do like a flaky pie.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Millions voted for Hitler, perhaps he wasn't so bad after all then?

Built bloody good roads. Almost eliminated unemployment. Advanced medical science. Advanced rocket science. Built one of the most popular and affordable cars the world has ever seen. Forerunners in film making and fashion. Introduced a national welfare programme. First anti tobacco lobby. Fought for animal rights/conservation and banned vivisection.
Whats not to like?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Built bloody good roads. Almost eliminated unemployment. Advanced medical science. Advanced rocket science. Built one of the most popular and affordable cars the world has ever seen. Forerunners in film making and fashion. Introduced a national welfare programme. First anti tobacco lobby. Fought for animal rights/conservation and banned vivisection.
Whats not to like?

Made goosestepping sexy too.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Fray Bentos is the king of pies.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Pie is a superfood.

It's one of THE gems. I don't eat them very often but, when it's time, I want QUALITY

If you decide you are GOING PIE.....then WHY on earth would you serve yourself anything sub standard like a Pukka? Soggy pastry, sub standard structure, generic 'gravy', no meat. So awfully sad.

It's like craving fish and chips and then cooking those rubbish breaded ones from the freezer with some oven chips. When the craving comes, do it PROPERLY.

Last edited:

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I like them and think that they are by far the best generally available through out the UK. Just been reading about them and apparently they make 100,000 per day with yearly sales exceeding 60 million, that is phenomenal sales. The biggest seller is Chicken Balti pushing Steak and Kidney into 2nd place with Chicken & Mushroom 3rd.Their new flavour for the 18/19 season is Vegetable Tikka Masala.If only we had them at The Amex., t

Bloody hell if it isn't crap out of contract players we should try and get its crap pies. Pukka pies are pretty bad tbh, Piglets are much much better (if not a bit dry sometimes)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here