Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Obvious bands which you knew about, but passed you buy until later

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Totally underrated or maybe just not so well known.

Drake was certainly not the former - all his albums were highly critically acclaimed. He wasn't a big seller though but, despite this, his death warranted massive coverage in the NME, including a three or four page article by Nick Kent. For an artist who'd sold so few albums, he was pretty well-known.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bill Fay - back in the day I was totally unaware. Now I think he borders on genius at times.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have given this thread a lot of thought since I have been massively into music for more than 50 years and have always been interested in contemporary and eclectic, albeit with some fairly well defined exclusion zones. So, after much thought, there are no 'obvious' artists who I have missd only to discover later. By 'obvious' I mean artists that had I hard them I would have liked them. Mrs T introducd me to Godspeed 5 years ago, and we saw them play in Brixton and Iceland (the place, not the store). Some of their stuff is amazing (the Cassius Clay one in particular) but when they come up on my iPod I tend to push on to the next track. On the other hand, I discover 'new' bands I would have liked had I hard them earlier, all the time. Recently this includes Protomartyr, She Past Away, Hante, Veil of Light, and countless others. So what I'm saying, I think, is thre is nothing obvious I would have liked but have missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy2x_kHCy4w&list=RDEMI_JHqJN_6_Qu4lBtYmZDYg&index=7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbj7uo4b0Qo&list=RDEMI_JHqJN_6_Qu4lBtYmZDYg&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPw7nlluRdc&list=RDEMI_JHqJN_6_Qu4lBtYmZDYg&index=5

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Have a listen to Georges album All Things Must Pass, possibly the best solo Beatles album.

It's one of my wife's favourite albums, although I must admit I don't know it that well. Thanks.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
You should listen to Alexi Murdoch, he has more than a hint of Drake.

Without a doubt, the first time I heard Alexi Murdoch I thought I was listening to Nick Drake. His Towards The Sun album is a good listen for a Drake fan.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
After watching a programme on Billy Fury I was inspired to buy the Sound Of Fury, a self penned album in the days when singers just didn’t do that was quite impressive. Touted now as the only genuine English rock and roller.

I dismissed all rock and rollers when I was growing up as it was all hippy stuff by then. Have since also grown to enjoy Elvis.

Sinatra passed me by and was switched off until I was about 30, absolutely love his albums now, especially Songs for Swinging Lovers and In The Wee Small Hours, both get regular plays.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
We went to that museum last Saturday, and the same top floor exhibition. I wasn't going to bother, but it was brilliant, very moving.

I was brought up in the 60's and 70's with my Dad listening to the Beatles, so always loved them.

Back to the OP, I like many songs by Johnny Cash, John Denver and Glen Campbell. As a kid and young adult, I couldn't stand that genre. The brilliant BBC4 documentaries helped, plus youtube's amazing.
Bought up in same era, although my parents listened to Herb Albert and classical, if they listened to anything!
Agree the exhibition was brilliant, and could have spent a lot longer there, will have to visit again.
Good call on Johnny Cash, I got his box set Fulsom Prison RSD 18, well worth a listen.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I properly discovered my love for heavy metal 4 years ago, so tons of examples of bands who I knew of but had no genuine admiration or love for.

Most prominent one that comes to mind is Iron Maiden, who are now arguably one of my favourite bands. Recall hanging out with some friends in London for the day back in 2013 and in the afternoon they headed to see Maiden at the O2, whilst I went off to cover a Cycling event in St James' Park.

Looking back now, I'd have killed to have been there given that I never know how many chances I'll get to see them live. The Legacy of the Beast tour they've been on this summer was marvellous!

Fill your boots with their back catalogue and even the wobble on the late 90's when Smith and Dickinson were missing has its good points. I would really recommend checking out Bruce's solo output. In my view The Chemical Wedding and Accident Of Birth are the stand out albums and nearer to Maiden. However, to check out the diversity of his solo stuff check out the Best of Album.

Did you also discover Metallica? Very different to Maiden and perhaps slightly less accessible and for want of a better expression just a little heavier. Also some really patchy output ranging from the superb to the abomination that was the St Anger album. And unfortunately many people's views of them are skewed as the head honchos Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield are just a little prickly and the whole Napster issue whilst totally justifiable was handled overly aggressively.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Ignored Metallica since 1983 started to listen to them in the last few weeks.

The first five albums are great. Load and reload are both ok. Garage inc is a cover album with some great stuff on. S and M Is pretty solid too. Ignore St Anger, Listen to but don't get excited by Death Magnetic, Play the shit out of Hardwired (especially Spit out the bone).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Totally underrated or maybe just not so well known. Have you listened to Elliott Smith?

God i love Elliott Smith. One of the best songwriters of his generation, in my mind.

I've always been pretty eclectic, but it took me a while to really understand the appeal of Black Metal...that was until I heard 'The Tongue of Fire' by Emperor. Immediately listened to the rest of the album it sits on and their back catalogue too...splendid musicians.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bought up in same era, although my parents listened to Herb Albert and classical, if they listened to anything!
Agree the exhibition was brilliant, and could have spent a lot longer there, will have to visit again.
Good call on Johnny Cash, I got his box set Fulsom Prison RSD 18, well worth a listen.

My Dad listened to that too. His extensive record collection included the Stones, Herp Albert, Chris Barber, Tchaikovsky, Handel, Motown, Mike Oldfield, Diana Ross.

Regarding the John & Yoko exhibition, they had a footage of them ambling in Central Park one sunny day, just a few days before he was murdered. Being stopped by everyone from builders to tourists, just wanting to thank Lennon for his music.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The first five albums are great. Load and reload are both ok. Garage inc is a cover album with some great stuff on. S and M Is pretty solid too. Ignore St Anger, Listen to but don't get excited by Death Magnetic, Play the shit out of Hardwired (especially Spit out the bone).

Good call in the main. Would suggest that Load is hugely underrated but gets almost undermined by the mainly leftovers that spawned Reload. My top 3 tracks from Hardwired would be Spit out the Bone, Moth into Flame and the sublime Halo on Fire.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Refused to like the Smiths on a point of principle. Can't remember what that principle was now.

My mum was a mature student at Brighton Poly and the young-uns had talked her into buying tickets for the Meat is Murder tour at the Dome.
She chickened out and insisted I go instead.

Superb gig, One of my top ten gigs I'd say. Converted on the spot.

Fill your boots with their back catalogue and even the wobble on the late 90's when Smith and Dickinson were missing has its good points. I would really recommend checking out Bruce's solo output. In my view The Chemical Wedding and Accident Of Birth are the stand out albums and nearer to Maiden. However, to check out the diversity of his solo stuff check out the Best of Album.

Did you also discover Metallica? Very different to Maiden and perhaps slightly less accessible and for want of a better expression just a little heavier. Also some really patchy output ranging from the superb to the abomination that was the St Anger album. And unfortunately many people's views of them are skewed as the head honchos Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield are just a little prickly and the whole Napster issue whilst totally justifiable was handled overly aggressively.

That's something I've certainly done in the last few years. Very au fait with the Maiden back catalogue now and have listened to something off at least every album. Brave New World and Number of the Beast would be my favourite records by a long distance. Bruce's solo stuff is something I've yet to go back to and check, but what I've found in the pas year of so is that there's so much new stuff that's coming out I want to listen to - along with podcasts - that I don't get the time to sit down and delve into a huge amount of older bands and artists. Slayer being a good example of a band who I've got a lot of respect for but a very small knowledge of their actual back catalogue.

No Metallica I knew of even years back when my musical identity was a bit all over the place. Mainly through the Black album songs which were about as mainstream as they have ever got, plus hearing the occasional other song hear and there. Have a lot of time for those early records and love Ride The Lightning in particular.

I'd heard the reputation of St Anger and quite frankly it's warranted. Still can't hear the intro to Dirty Window without laughing at how awful it is! Know about their history and have time for them, however paying £100 for one of their shows does not interest me one bit. Glad i got to see them at Reading Festival three years back if that ends up being the only chance I've had to see them.

Overall I've been very luck that most of my close friends are metalheads, so whilst getting more into music from the various subgenres they've introduced me to a lot, plus discovering other stuff along the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here