Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Stockpiling of food

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With the U.K. being the worlds largest exporters of gin, I’d hazard a guess that any stockpiling will be across the channel. :)

Where do the British distillers get their juniper supplies from, as well as orange and lemon peel and other ingredients,

Can't say I've seen too many juniper bushes in the British countryside

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Here we go again, project fear 2. I read only this morning that the EU will have a huge deficit money wise in the event of a no deal, so can't see that happening personally. I'll give just one example, the motor industry. Mercedes, Audi, VW, BMW (Mini) and thats just the German bit add on all the French crap, Britain is a huge market to them and if they have to put a levy on top of the sale price British car buyers will look elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Here we go again, project fear 2. I read only this morning that the EU will have a huge deficit money wise in the event of a no deal, so can't see that happening personally. I'll give just one example, the motor industry. Mercedes, Audi, VW, BMW (Mini) and thats just the German bit add on all the French crap, Britain is a huge market to them and if they have to put a levy on top of the sale price British car buyers will look elsewhere.

Funny isn't it ? It's almost like we'll both be worse off after we leave the EU. Still, Blue Passports and Sovereignty, eh !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
yes, "options", like planning which they should have done a year ago if they were to be taken seriously - doesnt mean they are needed or going to be enacted. you didnt read what i said though because you want to believe there will be a no deal, chaos ensues, and you can scream about it. stockpiling medicines isnt needed due to long shelf life. i dont know if we obtain bloods from the continent, i would have thought not due to extremly short shelf life.

It is difficult to read what you say at the best of times, as your posts generally read like an warbling old woman written in the style of an Irvine Welsh novel. I don't want to be there a no deal as the disruption caused will affect me.

Matt Hancock, purely in his brief as Heath Secretary, mentioned the stockpiling of medicines, blood products and vaccinations imported from The EU today, but as you say you don't know anything about it.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
There were near riots outside Build a Bear last week, it is patently obvious that people will turn into wolves when word spreads that pot noodles are running low. No doubt Aldi will looted first. After time we can start ploughing the fertile soil of the dead.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I've still got a cupboard of marmite after the last panic, and a loft full of iron brew after they changed the recipe. Should see me through - just tell me what to panic buy next and I'm on it.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Where do the British distillers get their juniper supplies from, as well as orange and lemon peel and other ingredients,

Can't say I've seen too many juniper bushes in the British countryside

The same Gin that was mass produced so cheaply in the UK that introduced the Gin laws to artificially increase the price that Gin? Yea we couldnt possibly.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
sounds as if obeecity will be cured to if theres no food and we get are sovereign tee back to so another nail in the coffin for brussels

regards
DR

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep. Started getting stuff in. Don’t trust anyone else to provide for us if we leave. Not just foodstuffs but some medicines that our family require. If I’m wrong then..great. If I’m not wrong I’d rather have it in.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
sounds as if obeecity will be cured to if theres no food and we get are sovereign tee back to so another nail in the coffin for brussels

regards
DR

You're not going to do very well if you can't even speak English.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
i think the question is beyond project fear and into realms of deliberate scaremongering and incitment. the very worst case scenario with mythical "no deal" is that goods are slowed down, lead times are extended, so one can prioritise if there is a problem. they tried claiming medicines would be restricted the other week, overlooking shelf life is measured in months or years and that we export far more pharmaceticals than we import, so there is going to be a massive incentive to make sure problems are over come.

How about radioactive isotopes with a half life of 66 hours, that we can't produce here?
http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-cancer-treatment-euratom-patients-at-risk-2018-3

"Honda says it would need a warehouse the size of 42 football pitches to keep enough stock for nine days of production at its Swindon factory, and BMW has quietly been ramping up production at an alternative Mini production facility in the Netherlands, anticipating difficulties getting stock to its Oxford plant."

https://uk.motor1.com/news/250547/uk-car-industry-brexit-brick-wall/

This is the way that car assembly has been for the last 40 years. Parts bought together just-in-time from manufacturing plants scattered across borders.

Delays would be a direct consequence of a no deal brexit.
Additional bureaucracy and cost would be a direct consequence of a no deal brexit.

No deal Brexit is not some free hit to stick two fingers up at Europe.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i think the question is beyond project fear and into realms of deliberate scaremongering and incitment. the very worst case scenario with mythical "no deal" is that goods are slowed down, lead times are extended, so one can prioritise if there is a problem. they tried claiming medicines would be restricted the other week, overlooking shelf life is measured in months or years and that we export far more pharmaceticals than we import, so there is going to be a massive incentive to make sure problems are over come.

Project fear from the Brexiteers?

Brexit secretary Dominic Raab has admitted that the government will have to take steps to ensure that there are adequate food supplies for Britain to cover the eventuality of a no-deal departure from the European Union.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
OK, I've just gone out and bought 4-5 years worth of doughnuts, to keep me stocked up while we negotiate a deal with a single member of the EU.
Do you think I have bought enough?
Will they keep?

Depends - ring or jam?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
the options are sliding scale from poor deal through to "whats different", or roll over to extended negotiations/transition, because in the 11th hour somthing will be hobbled together. the real option of leaving went long time ago because the remainers did naff all to plan, the EU held their line so thats no longer a valid scenario. and in the poorest deal trade would continue, just as it does with all the nations of the world. produce from Spain, Italy and Greece will still need to be sold somewhere and unless the EU is planing to dump it they'll make sure they find a way to UK. otherwise they go into recession (along with us), and for all the stocism of wanting to hold a firm line, they dont really want to hurt themselves substantially in the process. hardline brexiteers i wouldnt be so sure of.

Not only naff all to plan, but frequently open sabotage to our own negotiations.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Project fear from the Brexiteers?

Brexit secretary Dominic Raab has admitted that the government will have to take steps to ensure that there are adequate food supplies for Britain to cover the eventuality of a no-deal departure from the European Union.

find a quote and read what is being said. he is in the business of trying to pretend an no deal strategy exists so says things to show this planned for - too late of course.

heres the select committee esponse: "It would be wrong to describe it as the government doing the stockpiling," he said. "What we will make sure, and the idea that we only get food imports from one continent is not appropriate, but we will look at this issue in the round and make sure there is adequate food supply".

you can make sure adequate food supply by carrying on as normal, or prioritising food at ports if necessary so on, not just going from free trade to stockpiling.

cant we be rational about this rather than jump into this rabid opposing views and personal insults? ask your would the EU actually allow a exit scenario that would damage their own economy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here