Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Here we go again. Opinion (and a minority one at that) being put forward as fact. Sadly it's that same attitude among a vast majority of MPs (Lords and Commons alike), not to mention the very powerful Whitehall mandarins, that has made negotiating Brexit so difficult - the government has it's hands tied in the negotiations, not by the EU, but by the British remainers.
Don't blame May (and even more so don't blame the millions who voted leave) - the blame lies full square at the feet of those that have done their best to hamper our negotiators and sabotage the Brexit process from day one.

You have got it spot on, instead of accepting the result of the vote and getting behind the government to obtain the best deal possible with a 'united Britain'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nigel's cavorting with Aaron Banks in the tax haven of Bermuda at the moment.

Yes, but if we win the World Cup expect this man of the people to be pictured swathed in the flag of St George, fag in one hand, pint in the other, espousing some kind of merry bollocks about how Brexit gave us the team spirit to carry this off.

There's no bandwagon he won't jump on so long as he can crowbar in a nationalist angle.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How people can direct their ire towards Brussels while voting in government after government who represent the interests of themselves, their cronies, the banks and big business over the people who put the X in the box is beyond me.

Brexit or Remain.

Nothing is going to improve in politics while you are still voting these clowns into power.

But what is the other option?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here we go again. Opinion (and a minority one at that) being put forward as fact. Sadly it's that same attitude among a vast majority of MPs (Lords and Commons alike), not to mention the very powerful Whitehall mandarins, that has made negotiating Brexit so difficult - the government has it's hands tied in the negotiations, not by the EU, but by the British remainers.
Don't blame May (and even more so don't blame the millions who voted leave) - the blame lies full square at the feet of those that have done their best to hamper our negotiators and sabotage the Brexit process from day one.

Christ, what absolute cobblers. I'm glad someone quoted it or I wouldn't have believed you posted it.

Brexit is difficult because it's a bloody stupid idea. You cannot just move Northern Ireland to the mainland, rewrite enormous and complex legislation, end the customs union, negotiate WTO terms with the EU, improve trade deals with the rest of the world and change your border security overnight. You certainly can't do it in the time scale allowed by the declaration under Article 50. And, even if you could, it's not the remainers' job to do it. THIS is what Davis and BoJo should have been working on. Instead, it seems they're far too concerned with the internal machinations of the Tory party.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He may have done her a favour the stupid clown, never got the point of him and never will.
To him politics seemed to be something to do between University and retirement for amusement.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If I don't get what I voted for, I shall be voting for ukip all over again, there will be millions of others too.

violet-elizabeth-bott.jpg

Violet Elizabeth lives on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You have got it spot on, instead of accepting the result of the vote and getting behind the government to obtain the best deal possible with a 'united Britain'

No, he's got it very far from 'spot on', as have you.

The idea that the referendum (with its nonsensical yes/no options) would be the end of any debate, is utterly ridiculous.

By the tiniest of margins, the nation voted for an entirely undefined withdrawal from the EU. 'Accepting the result' of the vote in no way equates to granting the incumbent government a free hand to career ahead with that withdrawal in any form they wished, with no debate, no negotiation, and no public pressure. The half of the population that ideally wished to retain close ties with Europe, are quite obviously going to campaign for the final form of Brexit to be as soft as possible. To suggest otherwise is plain daft.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The half of the population that ideally wished to retain close ties with Europe, are quite obviously going to campaign for the final form of Brexit to be as soft as possible. To suggest otherwise is plain daft.

Of course they are - I never said otherwise. Remainers are as disgruntled as, say, Labour voters after the Tories win another general election.

The political establishment, though, is not just moaning - they are actively trying to sabotage the government's attempts to negotiate a deal for leaving the EU. That is a fact.

Brexit is difficult because it's a bloody stupid idea.
Let's stick to facts here, shall we? You think it's a stupid idea; that is a fact. But the fact that you think it's a stupid idea doesn't make it so. It's just your opinion, and a minority one at that. The majority voted otherwise.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course they are - I never said otherwise. Remainers are as disgruntled as, say, Labour voters after the Tories win another general election.

The political establishment, though, is not just moaning - they are actively trying to sabotage the government's attempts to negotiate a deal for leaving the EU. That is a fact.

It isn't about just 'being disgruntled'. It is about people arguing for, and campaigning for, what they believe in, as is their right in a free democracy. This is not aimed at you personally, but at a significant tranche of ranters, who were all shouty about 'the will of the people' regards one vote that took place, but now do not feel that 'the people' have any further right to comment, unless they are singing from their chosen script.

In my view, that attempts to shout down debate at this stage ('just get on with it', etc) are based on fear, of not getting quite what they hoped for, but they just make themselves look like morons.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Let's stick to facts here, shall we? You think it's a stupid idea; that is a fact. But the fact that you think it's a stupid idea doesn't make it so. It's just your opinion, and a minority one at that. The majority voted otherwise.

Are you still convinced that you are going to get what you want from Brexit?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A fact? No, it’s just your skewed opinion.

larus

Its the only option, sadly. This current government are not fit to lead anything and only a break in power will allow them to regroup. I'd rather it wasn't Corbyn either, but we can't go on like this.

If you think that Labour are in any way united on Brexit, then you are deluded (IMO). It’s widely reported that they are as split as the Tories.

Christ, even Corbyn has voted against the EU at EVERY opportunity in his time in parliament. It’s easy to snipe from opposition as you can critique everything and offer nothing. Starker puts forward plans which would get rejected by the EU, but he doesn’t have to present them to the EU. The infighting in both parties OPs down to Brexit and the strong feelings on both sides.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here