Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Armed police incident on Portland Road,Hove

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
OK, fair enough - they have had budget cuts. When it comes to the 'high action' incidents they seem to be able to find multiple police cars/vans, dozens of officers and armed response. This is a good example as was the incident a few months ago in Southwick of someone being evicted and thowing their stuff out of the window. Equally there's never a shortage of officers for football matches ..... Tuesday being a good example of over policing. Yet try getting even a single officer to appear when you have anti-social behaviour going on in your street, vandalism ( look at that poor young woman having her car smashed up in Preston Street in the summer - not one officer turned up ) or an officer turning up if you've had your house or van broken into - no way.

Call me a cynic but I find it strange numerous officers are suddenly available for 'high octane' incidents but when it comes to the more mundane, more regular incidents you'd have more chance of Mary Poppins turning up than a police officer.

Of course if you were to tell the 999 operator "I think one of them might have a gun" when reporting the mundane incident...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Of course if you were to tell the 999 operator "I think one of them might have a gun" when reporting the mundane incident...

Indeed. Strange they also manage to find a huge amount of officers for the party political conferences as well. Sod local residents and taxpayers.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed, and it would be no surprise if this incident used up half of the Sussex force’s monthly budget. There’s a fine line between dealing with criminals and dealing with those with mental health issues. Budgets for both are at an all time low.

Convert St Francis back to a loony bin and lock up those with mental problems. They'd be happier. The rest of us would be happier. Most of the homeless would be removed from the streets of the city. Win, win, win.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While I accept I don't know the full details, that's an awful lot of police officers for an incident that even the police say is involving one person in one flat. Yet they claim they have budget issues.
You say one person, but what if they're subletting to a second person without the landlord's permission? We could be looking at multiple crimes involving multiple criminals here.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
While I accept I don't know the full details, that's an awful lot of police officers for an incident that even the police say is involving one person in one flat. Yet they claim they have budget issues.

When I was a teenager, where I lived there used to be a youth group minibus that used to drive around offering support for kids and try to steer us on the right path and basically not be little shits (which we werent in fairness) but there was f all to do in woodingdean in the 90's apart from around on the streets at night.

Another group of lads walked along the road and put a gun through the window, threatening us.

My younger sister got out the back door and ran home telling my parents about it.

About 7-8 minutes later the police rocked up in full armour with guns.

Personally I'm glad there are armed trained police officers on call at a moments notice.

You say budget problems but they're there ready in case. They cost the same, whether they're sitting in the office or being used on a shout.

They're not paid on a bonus for being called out are they?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
When I was a teenager, where I lived there used to be a youth group minibus that used to drive around offering support for kids and try to steer us on the right path and basically not be little shits (which we werent in fairness) but there was f all to do in woodingdean in the 90's apart from around on the streets at night.

Another group of lads walked along the road and put a gun through the window, threatening us.

My younger sister got out the back door and ran home telling my parents about it.

About 7-8 minutes later the police rocked up in full armour with guns.

Personally I'm glad there are armed trained police officers on call at a moments notice.

You say budget problems but they're there ready in case. They cost the same, whether they're sitting in the office or being used on a shout.

They're not paid on a bonus for being called out are they?

I'm queriying the NUMBER of officers ( in particular 'standard' officers ) ..... not the fact that armed oficers are necessary. Have you seen the photos of this incident ?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Scary when you hear about whole towns and cities having no more than a dozen response officers on duty on a Friday night. Priorites are lacking in the police force, they need to find efficiencies but these cost-cutting measures seem to be coming from the wrong places.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Indeed. Strange they also manage to find a huge amount of officers for the party political conferences as well. Sod local residents and taxpayers.

Because the political party pay for the officers. That enables whichever force it is to pay all the cops who are on their days off double time to cover the conference. Football is the same.

Hence why on a wednesday night when theres no football and no party conference on, the cops have to pay thier staff from their own budgets and they can only afford to pay about 6 of them to cover a whole city. That's why none of them come when your van keys get stolen, not because their all sat down John Street watching Netflix.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Because the political party pay for the officers. That enables whichever force it is to pay all the cops who are on their days off double time to cover the conference. Football is the same.

Hence why on a wednesday night when theres no football and no party conference on, the cops have to pay thier staff from their own budgets and they can only afford to pay about 6 of them to cover a whole city. That's why none of them come when your van keys get stolen, not because their all sat down John Street watching Netflix.

are you sure of this or are you making it up? my understanding is that clubs pay for the police on duty within the confines of the stadium/outside concourse.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
"they claim"?

Overall Sussex Police funding down 16% since 2010. Would be a 30% drop were it not for the addition of local council money.

Seems like a fair claim to me.

Yeah, that's a valid point, but also Westdene's point has merit. Not sure the priorities are completely right, and of course a big turn out for an incident like this only adds grist to the mill that the Police are crying wolf a bit when it comes to cuts and there's still a bit more fat that can be pared off. (Which I do NOT believe, but you can see how it could be spun).

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm queriying the NUMBER of officers ( in particular 'standard' officers ) ..... not the fact that armed oficers are necessary. Have you seen the photos of this incident ?

No I haven't. I'm not particularly fussed either.

The dispatchers will send the number of officers they deem necessary I imagine. But they wont all stay there.

If something else kicks off then some of them will be redeployed to go deal with the other issue.

Stop being such a dick. Perhaps Its a rare quiet morning in Brighton with not a lot going on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Equally there's never a shortage of officers for football matches ..... Tuesday being a good example of over policing.

/QUOTE]

The eagle eyed amongst us would have noticed the vans were from Surrey & Thames Valley police. The club pay for a load of overtime for police all over

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Equally there's never a shortage of officers for football matches ..... Tuesday being a good example of over policing.

/QUOTE]

The eagle eyed amongst us would have noticed the vans were from Surrey & Thames Valley police. The club pay for a load of overtime for police all over

Quite a few from Kent too.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

Political parties pay a small contribution. Sussex Police have to apply for extra funds for the rest of the cost and they never get what it actually costs them.

Equally, the Albion only pay for police in the ground and on Albion property.

Nope .... Sussex Police pay for oficers from other forces that aren't deployed within the ground or on Albion property.

Last edited:

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Speaking to one of the shop owners near the incident, he said he thought the broken window was broken through gun fire, where others say something was thrown to break the window. Maybe that’s why there was armed police there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Political parties pay a small contribution. Sussex Police have to apply for extra funds for the rest of the cost and they never get what it actually costs them.

Equally, the Albion only pay for police in the ground and on Albion property.

Nope .... Sussex Police pay for oficers from other forces that aren't deployed within the ground or on Albion property.

The Albion property would stretch from the car park south of the railway line, right up to Village Way, so all the mounted police etc would come under that jurisdiction.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here