Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percentage of time in opposition half - lowest in the league

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Personally I doubt if CH is happy with the performances. He has said as much about ball retention. We have been good defensively and whilst supporters appreciate good defence they really turn up to watch attractive football going forward. Duffy and Dunk headers and blocks are effective but they are not things of beauty. The fact that we have gone ahead early is a factor in those stats because as with most teams with limited ability in the league we have sought to hold what we have gained and we have largely been successful. The last two games where we have been competitive have shown there are fine margins and we have just lost out.

I expect things to balance out a bit when Stephens comes back, Knocky hits form and the midfield becomes settled. CH knows that in January with Ryan results will more likely suffer if we cannot play more in the other half.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The amount of stick I have got on here recently for suggesting that we set out not to lose rather than to win, even against the lower league sides, would belie the fact that most on here are unhappy with watching the borefest fearful negative style we now play, which I find unbelievable. But there you go :smile:

In my opinion its because you're conflating strategy with form. Our strategy has seen us finish top 3 in the championship two seasons in a row, followed by beating Man Utd two home games in a row, beating Arsenal, Palace, thrashing West Ham home and away and loads more exciting games last season and this. But we're in a rut form-wise at the moment, which has been exacerbated by a lot of upheaval in our first XI because of injuries, suspensions and trying to bed new players in, and that rut has led to us sitting deeper and not playing very well last few games. I don't think anyone is particularly happy with how we are playing at the moment, particularly (and primarily) second half against Leicester, but most of us don't believe this is the 'style we now play'

All teams go through dips like this, and ours was predicted by many, following on from the highs and passion of last year - its hard to keep sustaining that. But form is temporary, class is permanent, and CH is very classy.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Whilst some are quick to dismiss this stat it does show we have an issue with our ability to hold the ball. Need a ball playing midfielder to play at expense of one of the wingers who don't really play as wingers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In my opinion its because you're conflating strategy with form. Our strategy has seen us finish top 3 in the championship two seasons in a row, followed by beating Man Utd two home games in a row, beating Arsenal, Palace, thrashing West Ham home and away and loads more exciting games last season and this. But we're in a rut form-wise at the moment, which has been exacerbated by a lot of upheaval in our first XI because of injuries, suspensions and trying to bed new players in, and that rut has led to us sitting deeper and not playing very well last few games. I don't think anyone is particularly happy with how we are playing at the moment, particularly (and primarily) second half against Leicester, but most of us don't believe this is the 'style we now play'

All teams go through dips like this, and ours was predicted by many, following on from the highs and passion of last year - its hard to keep sustaining that. But form is temporary, class is permanent, and CH is very classy.

Interesting observations. I hope that you are right in your analysis, only time will tell. I have yet to see a good 90 mins from us in anything but defending so far this season except the United and Fulham games, both of which I enjoyed.

I think we can agree on CH being classy, again time will tell if he has what he takes to keep improving us at this level. We will get that time because he is going nowhere imo. Jury is till out for me on this one though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The last time we complained about being mid table in the top league of football it got Mike Bailey the sack - we all know what happened after that. Be careful what you wish for.
I've been waiting for that old chestnut to re-appear.

When Bailey was fired the club was being run into the ground financially thanks to the crazy contracts given to all and sundry. Of course the downward spiral was happening thanks to clubs relying 100% on income from attendances. 1st Division gates of under 10,000 for The Albion was not sustainable and they were that low because of the dreadful football being served up. You know the rest. Today's Albion (and Top Flight Football) is a different animal financially to what it was back then and this Albion is very unlikely to find itself in another Hereford situation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Here's the current table of the percentage of time spent in the opposition half. It does not make for pretty reading:

View attachment 102475

It's no wonder that so many of us are unhappy about performances this season. There's no knocking that the current strategy is working in terms of points gained, but it's no fun watching games where so much of the game is in our half of the field.

the thing that really concerns me with this is that there's a 10% gap between us and 17th. Meanwhile another 10% covers 14th -7th. That shows simply how defensively we're playing. Not even close to lots of the other teams. But we're 12th, so one would assume that we must be doing something right...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
the thing that really concerns me with this is that there's a 10% gap between us and 17th. Meanwhile another 10% covers 14th -7th. That shows simply how defensively we're playing. Not even close to lots of the other teams. But we're 12th, so one would assume that we must be doing something right...

We’re also joint top scorers in the bottoms half of the table. I’ll take that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This stat is an Albion one but probably a Hughton one also, I do not expect him to change it as he is a man of principle and we will die a slow death from boredom.

Destroying our creativity in our wide players really does do my head in, I wonder what they feel like if the truth be known.

I am pretty sure I could mind-read what Knocky thinks.

This from someone who admits he is boycotting the games, so how do you know how 'boring' it is.

I really hate posters who say our nine points were just lucky. What a way to denigrate the team who have trained hard, worked hard and gone out to win a game. If the other side win, are they lucky or skilfull? Does their manager act in a tactical way or was he just lucky?

I also detest the 'bedwetting' and 'club lickers' labels. We are all supporting the club in our own way, and sometimes we will be in form, and sometimes we won't. The opposition have something to do with it too.

This disatisfaction is growing and imo it is unfair. CH has plenty in credit so let him do his job. If we descend into the bottom three following three defeats in a row, then complain.
I would want him as manager if the worst came to the worst and we got relegated, but I honestly don't think we will.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Here's the current table of the percentage of time spent in the opposition half. It does not make for pretty reading:

View attachment 102475

It's no wonder that so many of us are unhappy about performances this season. There's no knocking that the current strategy is working in terms of points gained, but it's no fun watching games where so much of the game is in our half of the field.

The ONLY statistic that matters is the one where we are currently ranked twelfth

jeremyfisher

Dec 8, 2013

View attachment 102475

Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely delighted with where we are in the league and wouldn't change that. After 35 years of supporting the club and us being in lower leagues for most of that it's an absolute treat.

I completely agree with others who say that one reason for the stat is because we've often scored first than then tend to defend thereafter, and that defence is our biggest strength so it's not a bad strategy to accumulate points.

I for one have found games really hard to watch this season because of that though. Incredibly nerverwracking. And not a lot of fun.

Still enjoying the glory of our league position though.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Let’s have a new thread - how many negative stats & posts can you come up with?

Here’s a stat - we’re currently the 12th best team this season in the Country!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't answer for those others but generally the two go hand in hand ... a good performance will lead to a good result (generally). What we did in those 3 1-0's (and they're the games that have put us where we are) is deliver pretty poor performances and got a good result (I don't agree with the view that they were tactically good)

That isn't sustainable as far as I'm concerned, if we don't up our performance level then results are going to suffer. Yes we are 12th, but we're going to need to play a whole lot better if we want to maintain that

Where we are at present has been driven by:
1 going into the lead in multiple fixtures and, more often than not, early, followed by the attempt to protect that lead
2 eking out results, relying on defensive doggedness
3 injuries (and a suspension) to key players
4 new players being bedded into the team and, more importantly, CH's way of playing
5 and, yes, poor performances allied with a poor spectacle. No-one's really doubting that, including CH, but the good news is that we can get better, especially once 3 and 4 fall into play. You might think differently, but I thought we were really good in the first half against Leicester (which was almost as well as we've played all season), although the second half was an entirely different story. The most important thing is that we've got points on the board and have established good distance from many others that are also seeking to avoid relegation, and we've got the vast majority of that lot to play at home for the remainder of the season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Personally I doubt if CH is happy with the performances. He has said as much about ball retention. We have been good defensively and whilst supporters appreciate good defence they really turn up to watch attractive football going forward. Duffy and Dunk headers and blocks are effective but they are not things of beauty. The fact that we have gone ahead early is a factor in those stats because as with most teams with limited ability in the league we have sought to hold what we have gained and we have largely been successful. The last two games where we have been competitive have shown there are fine margins and we have just lost out.

I expect things to balance out a bit when Stephens comes back, Knocky hits form and the midfield becomes settled. CH knows that in January with Ryan results will more likely suffer if we cannot play more in the other half.

This. All the way. Although I'd add that it'd be good for all our wingers to hit a bit of form. It's them that have been most disappointing this season (Izquierdo was extremely frustrating against Leicester -- and Cardiff -- despite illustrating many qualities in those games)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I've been waiting for that old chestnut to re-appear.

When Bailey was fired the club was being run into the ground financially thanks to the crazy contracts given to all and sundry. Of course the downward spiral was happening thanks to clubs relying 100% on income from attendances. 1st Division gates of under 10,000 for The Albion was not sustainable and they were that low because of the dreadful football being served up. You know the rest. Today's Albion (and Top Flight Football) is a different animal financially to what it was back then and this Albion is very unlikely to find itself in another Hereford situation.

So pleased to be able to oblige you.

I was, of course, relating to the change of manager call by the fans, not the finance situation of the club.

D

Deleted member 2719

This from someone who admits he is boycotting the games, so how do you know how 'boring' it is.

I really hate posters who say our nine points were just lucky. What a way to denigrate the team who have trained hard, worked hard and gone out to win a game. If the other side win, are they lucky or skilfull? Does their manager act in a tactical way or was he just lucky?

I also detest the 'bedwetting' and 'club lickers' labels. We are all supporting the club in our own way, and sometimes we will be in form, and sometimes we won't. The opposition have something to do with it too.

This disatisfaction is growing and imo it is unfair. CH has plenty in credit so let him do his job. If we descend into the bottom three following three defeats in a row, then complain.
I would want him as manager if the worst came to the worst and we got relegated, but I honestly don't think we will.

We could go back and forth all day on this one but i'd rather listen to the match and feel the excitment from Warren and Cantor as it's transferred and 'Albion are going for the kill' or more probable ' Albion only have to hang on for another 90 mins to come home with a point.'

That's no criticism of the commentary boys after all they can only serve up a feast if it's put on a plate by an adventurous ALBION.

Looking forward to a proper good nosh up.

Is that assumption valid? I would have voted that the result is the most important thing but I'm not happy at all about how we are playing. Unless there are 3 basket cases in this league then I think we are very real candidates for relegation if we don't change our approach. In that respect that statistic in the OP is a concern

We've seen now that no team are so weak to go down without a strong fight this season. We are right in it

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
The last time we complained about being mid table in the top league of football it got Mike Bailey the sack - we all know what happened after that. Be careful what you wish for.

I wish to be entertained as we were in the Championship so if we were to be relegated it would not trouble me, we have experienced the top league and now know that it contains the elite and the rest have to scratch around for enough points to survive and its not pretty

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'Current' form: 3/3, 4/6 or 4/9. :shrug:

'Possession in the opponent's half' can do one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here