Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump/Farrage/NATO

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
You're the one who linked Trump to my statement.

I just stated Libertarianism is becoming an option for those sick of the right and the left. It's a re-emergence of the individual who is sick of authoritarians.

Huh?

I posted "The rise of the alt-right is as bad as the neoliberalism we've seen previously. That coupled with the post fact bullsh*t espoused by the likes of Trump and Farage is definitely cause for concern.

You then quoted me and posted this

The awakening of Libertarianism is a beacon of hope.

Can you enlighten me as to why you replied to my post, because I cannot see the link between Farage, Trump, alt-right, neoliberalism and there being an awakening of libertarianism?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The Germans and French have been neglecting their NATO financial targets for years by large amounts.To be fair,the French have spent an enormous amount on nuclear weapons and delivery systems (third biggest nuclear weapons stockpile).
Bannon is a very interesting appointment.Trump has been going for the fluffy option this week,then appoints a real rottweiler as his attack dog.The political establishment must be bricking it,as he will find and publish any dirty washing he can.Interesting times,and it wouldn't surprise me if Farage gets an official position in Team Trump.As for the rubbish about the USA not paying UN contributions,it provides more than 20% of the total budget,and 30% of the military budget.More left-wing distortion/lies!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You are wrong, we have seen the consequences of neo liberalism, it encapsulates the global banking crisis, illegal wars, the ascendency of global corporatism and a wide open door to global migration.

It is these matters collectively and/or individually that have bestowed power to these alt-right wing (to use your reference) politicians. Brexit and Trump are merely symptoms of this dynamic.

They may turn out to be worse, but we will truly need 15-20 years to judge.

You may dislike Farage and Trump but they have not got blood on their hands like Blair. For every moan you make about them, you should have 20 about Blair.

Perspective is everything dear boy.......
This. No good bleating on about the far right (who I deplore) without recognising that all of the current needs we are in is due to the unparalleled leeway Blair and his ilk in Europe and the USA had when going to war, loosening banking culpability and ignoring the growing dissatisfaction from a large part of the electorate.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Trump and Farage - a pair of cults.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
This. No good bleating on about the far right (who I deplore) without recognising that all of the current needs we are in is due to the unparalleled leeway Blair and his ilk in Europe and the USA had when going to war, loosening banking culpability and ignoring the growing dissatisfaction from a large part of the electorate.

We appear to be fixated on the West when we should be looking at the East.Putin strolls down the med with a fleet to aid the tragedy in Syria and no doubt bolster the Turks who are sending some very disturbing messages at the moment. All we hear from almost every source of the media is how right wing Trump might be as if its the only show in town. Trump will not be a problem to us, but Russia is flexing its muscles unnopposed and currently has the momentum on the world stage where is the voice of the EU, the labour party, the left wing intelligentsia, the media and the experts. They' re too busy talking and arguing against what has already been decided, too much talk not enough action, reminds me of Bismarck bat in the 1860s.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
When was that picture taken and where is Nigel's poppy?

Over the weekend Farage was enjoying himself with the global elite, it would normally be expected for a party political leader to be at the Cenotaph. In fact I expect those following the cult of Farage would crucify Corbyn if he had done similar but I expect Farage himself will get a free pass.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Over the weekend Farage was enjoying himself with the global elite, it would normally be expected for a party political leader to be at the Cenotaph. In fact I expect those following the cult of Farage would crucify Corbyn if he had done similar but I expect Farage himself will get a free pass.

Meanwhile, Corbyn is getting stitched up with cropped photos by the Daily Mail and the Sun propaganda machine, whilst actually attending the Downing Street parade.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
NATO is a name for an agreement and we live in a different world today. Once we understand that Russia is not an enemy we will realise that NATO isn’t really applicable. If anything Europe and Russia need closer ties and agreements in place because we have to protect our own continent. We could probably do with a Euro military and air force these days but do the US need to be a major part of it?

It is more important for Europe and Russia to see peace in the Middle East than it is for the US, because the US is half a world away. It is more important for Europe and Russia to align in strategy and with the US involved it makes it more complicated

If this is all about oil and energy I don’t care where I get it from or who gets rich from it because it makes no difference to my pocket. Our choice is lining the pockets of a rich Americans or lining the pockets of rich Russians so it really doesn’t matter who is providing or selling the resources? Maybe having a Russia with a better economy is better for Europe than fighting to keep it poor?

I certainly begrudge our money going to the Sunni states who only invest in Wahhabism, Islamic school of thought and the financing of extremist imams. Iran is more pragmatic in its approach to world politics than the Saudi’s and Shia Iran is not the same country as 10-40 years ago. Sunni Islam is impossible to work with and Shia Islam is less so.

If NATO is all about promoting Wahhabism, by design or default, and threatening Russia we need to take a seriously good look at ourselves and the purpose of NATO.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
NATO is a name for an agreement and we live in a different world today. Once we understand that Russia is not an enemy we will realise that NATO isn’t really applicable. If anything Europe and Russia need closer ties and agreements in place because we have to protect our own continent. We could probably do with a Euro military and air force these days but do the US need to be a major part of it?

It is more important for Europe and Russia to see peace in the Middle East than it is for the US, because the US is half a world away. It is more important for Europe and Russia to align in strategy and with the US involved it makes it more complicated

If this is all about oil and energy I don’t care where I get it from or who gets rich from it because it makes no difference to my pocket. Our choice is lining the pockets of a rich Americans or lining the pockets of rich Russians so it really doesn’t matter who is providing or selling the resources? Maybe having a Russia with a better economy is better for Europe than fighting to keep it poor?

I certainly begrudge our money going to the Sunni states who only invest in Wahhabism, Islamic school of thought and the financing of extremist imams. Iran is more pragmatic in its approach to world politics than the Saudi’s and Shia Iran is not the same country as 10-40 years ago. Sunni Islam is impossible to work with and Shia Islam is less so.

If NATO is all about promoting Wahhabism, by design or default, and threatening Russia we need to take a seriously good look at ourselves and the purpose of NATO.

There's two things I think are absurd in here:
-- that Russia under Putin should be our friend: Russia is utterly corrupt, and Putin has halted any hope for it
-- that "NATO is all about promoting Wahhabism": really? that's all it's about?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There's two things I think are absurd in here:
-- that Russia under Putin should be our friend: Russia is utterly corrupt, and Putin has halted any hope for it
-- that "NATO is all about promoting Wahhabism": really? that's all it's about?

That is the subjective world view that has been sold to you. The west has built itself on corruption so we don't monopolise a moral high ground on the subject.

Indirectly the west has financed Sunni Wahhabism growth in this form of Islam. Mecca is built on oil not Allah and it exports a dangerous culture in the form of religion.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Hilarious.

So instead of recognising the rhetoric of the alt-right for what it is, we should wait 15-20 years for them to utilise useful idiots such as Trump, Farage and other traditional conservatives in order for them to establish and pursue their agenda? No thanks.

The appropriation of left and centre-left movements by Blair et al was evident very early on. Instead of curtailing it, people allowed them to continue. I'd rather not go through that again.

Perspective is everything? Yeah it maybe. However I'd say learning from previous mistakes more appropriate when choosing leaders.

But surely the Brexit and Trump elections prove that many people in the electorate have learnt from their mistakes?

The neo liberal political ideology of occupying the centre ground has been rejected, as have the promises of the same old centrist politicians saying they will make changes etc.

Trump and Brexit should be afforded the time to flourish, its on this basis that only time will tell if it has genuinely benefitted the US and UK respectively.

Only then can you say you were right.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That is the subjective world view that has been sold to you. The west has built itself on corruption so we don't monopolise a moral high ground on the subject.

Indirectly the west has financed Sunni Wahhabism growth in this form of Islam. Mecca is built on oil not Allah and it exports a dangerous culture in the form of religion.

Not disagreeing but believe Mecca is built on Mohammed. The UK is supplying arms at considerable profit to Saudi to bomb the shit out of thousands of Yemeni civilians.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
What the feck has Blair got to do with liberalism? !

We were referring to neo liberalism of which Blair was a high Priest. We know what it means now of course, hence his reputation is so toxic the remain campaign wanted to keep him out of the public debate on Brexit. This was a man committed to joining the euro....

Dreadful man poisonous ideology.......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The west has built itself on corruption
That isn't true. There is corruption all around the world, the west has built itself on trading, industrialising, and capitalism.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
But surely the Brexit and Trump elections prove that many people in the electorate have learnt from their mistakes?

The neo liberal political ideology of occupying the centre ground has been rejected, as have the promises of the same old centrist politicians saying they will make changes etc.

Trump and Brexit should be afforded the time to flourish, its on this basis that only time will tell if it has genuinely benefitted the US and UK respectively.

Only then can you say you were right.

Have people 'learnt from their mistakes' though?

Is Trump and/or the Rebublican going to end neoliberal politics in the US?

Is Brexit and/or Farage going to end neoliberal politics in the UK or the EU?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here