Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
who was accused of being a murderer?

Blood-stained comes close, and I note you agree to the other wild epithets. You'll also accept that you've slung the 'murderer' charge around on here. Anyway, I look forward to Portslade Seagull's response to the question.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
During the referendum Osborne and the Treasury said unemployment would rise by 500,000 in the immediate aftermath of a Leave vote. Today’s new figures:

Unemployment fell 57,000 between April and June 2017
157,000 fewer than for a year earlier
Unemployment rate is 4.4%
Down from 4.9% for a year earlier
The lowest since 1975

#fakenews

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
During the referendum Osborne and the Treasury said unemployment would rise by 500,000 in the immediate aftermath of a Leave vote. Today’s new figures:

The lowest since 1975

#fakenews

I guess this is the Trump thread, all makes sense

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

The lowest since 1975

#fakenews

Many people predicted a sharp crash, including me. That was back when the concept of Brexit was strong. Now of course Brexit is looking very wishy washy indeed and there is now no way it can be as decisive and final as people first envisioned. The worst of it all will happen soon enough. Unemployment is coming.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Many people predicted a sharp crash, including me. That was back when the concept of Brexit was strong. Now of course Brexit is looking very wishy washy indeed and there is now no way it can be as decisive and final as people first envisioned. The worst of it all will happen soon enough. Unemployment is coming.

Wishy washy - I though it was HARD and CRASHING OUT?

The cyclical nature of economies would suggest we are well overdue a downturn in employment... so, if and when it does happen, it won't be because of BrExit.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

The lowest since 1975

#fakenews

In fairness and while obviously the impending brexit has not had any calamitous impact on the economy just yet, the unemployment figures these days don't paint a terribly accurate picture of the economy. Earnings are falling, people are in low paid, low quality, insecure jobs - None of this is reflected in those figures.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
In fairness and while obviously the impending brexit has not had any calamitous impact on the economy just yet, the unemployment figures these days don't paint a terribly accurate picture of the economy. Earnings are falling, people are in low paid, low quality, insecure jobs - None of this is reflected in those figures.

Do you have any facts to share about the nature of jobs created in recent years, rather than just anecdotal speculation?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wishy washy - I though it was HARD and CRASHING OUT?

The cyclical nature of economies would suggest we are well overdue a downturn in employment... so, if and when it does happen, it won't be because of BrExit.

Haha! Priceless. That's even better than when one of your mob said if Brexit fails it's because of anti-Brexit sentiment. ****ing good effort though. Hahaha, lovely stuff. Ha.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Haha! Priceless. That's even better than when one of your mob said if Brexit fails it's because of anti-Brexit sentiment. ****ing good effort though. Hahaha, lovely stuff. Ha.

Do you know anything about economics? or do you still believe that Gordon Brown and the New Labour government abolished boom and bust?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What people either conveniently forget or, as I suspect, are ignorant to the facts, is that many, many of these jobs were created and made possible through EU funding which will disappear if we leave the EU.

We'll have the £350 million a week to spend on that sort of thing :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We'll have the £350 million a week to spend on that sort of thing :thumbsup:

Nice shrug off but it does demonstrate your ignorance on the subject. You haven't even read the reports. Ignorance is one thing, refusing to learn is quite another. This is why people think Leave voters are stupid.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you know anything about economics? or do you still believe that Gordon Brown and the New Labour government abolished boom and bust?

Yes, yes. What you are failing to grasp is what Boom and Bust is. It's not a spontaneous cycle with no catalysts. The boom years of EU funding and support are to be followed by the bust of unemployment because of Brexit. Cause and effect, human factors cause Boom and Bust, it's not some independent phenomenon. Christ alive, it's like showing a dog a card trick.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You are funny :laugh:

I see, you're not interested in facts you just want to fish. Tip for you lad, seeing as you are here anyway , give your fingers a rest and have a read of what others are saying. You could do with some learning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You clearly don't.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Do you have any facts to share about the nature of jobs created in recent years, rather than just anecdotal speculation?

Very difficult to be anything other than anecdotal when you're discussing something that is impossible to qualify. There is one fact that we can point to and that is that living standards continue to decline. For what it's worth, I've gone off topic here, my point was that in isolation unemployment figures are no longer a terribly good indicator of the economy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Quite. And who knows if any of the record self-employed are actually working at all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

There's loads if you care to look. Google gig economy, self employed, low paid, zero hours in separate searches and you'll see them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here