Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friendly v Norwich

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Worth noting that of Newcastles five signings only one of them was seen as a replacement or fill in. Atsu was signed after being on loan. The other 4 have all been new additions to strengthen the starting 11.

Brighton have signed 4 players, 2 are replacements in Suttner and Ryan, upgrades for sure but they are replacements no less. Brown isn't a player who will be in the starting 11 from the looks of things but rather a quality competition in the attacking area. That leaves Gross as our ONLY new addition to the squad that adds to the squad as opposed to replacing any. We've replaced our losses and signed 1 player that makes the first 11 better. With 2 weeks to go. If we don't buy a CM and a ST that are immediate starters and upgrades on what we have we're going to end up exactly like Boro, not letting in many and scoring jack shit, going down with no fight at all.

But don't worry at least we'll have the parachute payments to look forward to and cushion the blow of relegation.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can see Hudd doing a Bournemouth in their first PL season.

I can't.

Wagner's Hyypia-esque formation may have got them over the line in the Championship but they finished -36 GD behind us relying on countless single goal margin victories. They may have improved by 5% or 10% but they'd need a squad like Everton's or Spurs' to score the goals they'll need to stay in the top flight with the system they play. What's more, CH will have worked them out for next season and we'll take 6 points off them, easy!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I can't.

Wagner's Hyypia-esque formation may have got them over the line in the Championship but they finished -36 GD behind us relying on countless single goal margin victories. They may have improved by 5% or 10% but they'd need a squad like Everton's or Spurs' to score the goals they'll need to stay in the top flight with the system they play. What's more, CH will have worked them out for next season and we'll take 6 points off them, easy!

A tenner to REMF says we don't. Up for it?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not the best of games today, but not worried too much as it was only a friendly.
First time I have visited Norwich, very nice city.
I'm hoping the Girona game will be more exciting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Worth noting that of Newcastles five signings only one of them was seen as a replacement or fill in. Atsu was signed after being on loan. The other 4 have all been new additions to strengthen the starting 11.

Brighton have signed 4 players, 2 are replacements in Suttner and Ryan, upgrades for sure but they are replacements no less. Brown isn't a player who will be in the starting 11 from the looks of things but rather a quality competition in the attacking area. That leaves Gross as our ONLY new addition to the squad that adds to the squad as opposed to replacing any. We've replaced our losses and signed 1 player that makes the first 11 better. With 2 weeks to go. If we don't buy a CM and a ST that are immediate starters and upgrades on what we have we're going to end up exactly like Boro, not letting in many and scoring jack shit, going down with no fight at all.

I'd say Gross and Ryan are improvements.

That's it at this stage. When we're about to play in arguably the highest standard of league football on the globe.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
But don't worry at least we'll have the parachute payments to look forward to and cushion the blow of relegation.

Your right! Yes.

But lets have faith in the wonderful team that took where we are now eh? I'm confident we will ruffle a few feathers. We won't do a Leicester, but we will have enough to stay up imo. And we will sign new faces...be patient.

If you wanna continue with the negative stuff then fine. But why don't you just enjoy the ride with the rest of us (well, most of us).?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Your right! Yes.

But lets have faith in the wonderful team that took where we are now eh? I'm confident we will ruffle a few feathers. We won't do a Leicester, but we will have enough to stay up imo. And we will sign new faces...be patient.

If you wanna continue with the negative stuff then fine. But why don't you just enjoy the ride with the rest of us (well, most of us).?

If we were more prepared I wouldn't be so negative but it's hard to be positive based on our transfer dealings so far. Hopefully I'll be eating a large dose of humble pie before 1 Sept.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
If we were more prepared I wouldn't be so negative but it's hard to be positive based on our transfer dealings so far. Hopefully I'll be eating a large dose of humble pie before 1 Sept.

I think were shaping up nicely tbh. We don't need any billy big bollocks signings to make me happy. Just the right players.

And like i said, more signings WILL come. I have absolute faith in our recruitment team.

If Bournemouth can do it, so can we.

Just chill a little.

PurpleCanary

Apr 4, 2015
Newcastle so far:
Atsu
Lejeune
Murphy
Manquillo
Merino

Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle each have £100m of new money, over and above their 2016/17 income. Allowing for £30m of ours being taken up by simply covering annual accounting losses, that leaves £70m plus new sponsorship income, for new players wages, wage increases and the first year's amortisation ONLY of new player transfer fees (or first year's ONLY instalments of transfer fees payable in cash flow terms).

Still a huge sum, which Hudd & Newcastle have got on with in spending.

I am not making an envious or antagonistic point here. It is just that I take an interest in foorball finance. If Brighton, having made a loss of £30m in the 2015-16 season, made any kind of substantial loss last season, getting promoted, then by my reckoning (this may not be right, of course) you will have broken Championship financial fair play rules, given that the limit is £39m over three seasons. As your owner said back then, referring to that £30m shortfall:

"Any Championship club without parachute payments wishing to compete for promotion will inevitably make significant losses." That sounds like an admission that he was willing to take the kind of rule-breaking risk QPR and Bournemouth, to name two, made to get to the Premier League.

Against that, based on what I have read here about your transfer activity so far, the club does not yet seem to have pushed the boat out, in terms of fees or - more importantly - wages.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am not making an envious or antagonistic point here. It is just that I take an interest in foorball finance. If Brighton, having made a loss of £30m in the 2015-16 season, made any kind of substantial loss last season, getting promoted, then by my reckoning (this may not be right, of course) you will have broken Championship financial fair play rules, given that the limit is £39m over three seasons. As your owner said back then, referring to that £30m shortfall:

"Any Championship club without parachute payments wishing to compete for promotion will inevitably make significant losses." That sounds like an admission that he was willing to take the kind of rule-breaking risk QPR and Bournemouth, to name two, made to get to the Premier League.

Against that, based on what I have read here about your transfer activity so far, the club does not yet seem to have pushed the boat out, in terms of fees or - more importantly - wages.

NSC's football finance expert and the club have indicated that we have remained within the rules, I think there's a rolling three year cumulative total of losses. You also have to remember that within accounts costs, some elements might be treated differently by the Football League for example the depreciation of infrastructure.

Unlike QPR, Bournemouth and Leicester who all blatantly broke FFP to buy promotion.

A lot of other clubs such as Wednesday, Hull, Villa, M'boro, Fulham, Bristol,City and Derby have gone down the same road as Brighton of allowing huge losses in their bids for the PL.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Don't they make you sick . Miserable doom and gloom merchants .

Giving an opinion isn't wetting the bed. People need to get over the fact that not everybody is in one big hive mind. Some of us want improvements to the squad, some of us think we're all good with what we have.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I don't think that Brighton in the last couple of years have tried to batter down the doors of the PL by spending vast amounts of monies on salaries and Transfer fees like many other clubs have done around them. The difficulty has more been that the playing staff at the club 3 years ago was so bad that it was very difficult to get any sort of fee for the players we wanted rid of when trying to revamp, that made it more difficult to balance things and even then I think the club are on course to stay within FFP Regulations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here