Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diane Abbott in fine form this morning...

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Could be in charge or the Police , Mi5 , immigration and our homeland security.

Just think about that [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And I forgot to mention Damian Green, who is the friend of a friend and someone I've met socially a number of times. He's a nice enough bloke - for a Reading fan - but a cabinet minister? Better than IDS as Work and Pensions Minister no doubt, but who wouldn't be? He owes his job to the fact that his wife was Theresa May's best friend in their Geography class at Oxford.

But actually this could be a good election to lose, because when the reality of Brexit starts to hit home, the government of the day will be blamed, whether it's their fault or not.

larus

And I forgot to mention Damian Green, who is the friend of a friend and someone I've met socially a number of times. He's a nice enough bloke - for a Reading fan - but a cabinet minister? Better than IDS as Work and Pensions Minister no doubt, but who wouldn't be? He owes his job to the fact that his wife was Theresa May's best friend in their Geography class at Oxford.

But actually this could be a good election to lose, because when the reality of Brexit starts to hit home, the government of the day will be blamed, whether it's their fault or not.

That's the effect which the Tories are suffering from post the 2008 crash. I rememeber it being said at the time it might not be a bad thing to lose that election and not have to deal with the deficit. Wahtever you do, you're wrong under those circumstances, as can be seen be the reaction of many people now.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
That's the effect which the Tories are suffering from post the 2008 crash. I rememeber it being said at the time it might not be a bad thing to lose that election and not have to deal with the deficit. Wahtever you do, you're wrong under those circumstances, as can be seen be the reaction of many people now.

I got the impression that was the reason Labour didn't want to go for a Lab/Lib/SNP coalition in 2010

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I got the impression that was the reason Labour didn't want to go for a Lab/Lib/SNP coalition in 2010

Gordon Brown very much wanted to be part of a coalition in 2010 and things dragged on for a couple of days. In the end senior Labour figures publically said that the game was up and that he should abide of the tradition of the party having the most MP's having first bite at forming a government. Then crucially the LibDems chose not to go in with Labour.

Not long afterwards this was all dramatised for BBC or C4. With the casting and acting it made entertaining viewing, with a very posh Cameron and a gruff/introspective Brown.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/871823550566543361

I defy any Labour supporter to watch this and then say that she should be Home Secretary in charge of national security and policing on Friday.

This is hilarious. Diane Abbott absolutely blagging it when asked about the Harris Enquiry. Clearly lying out of her arse when she says she has read it. How the hell Paul Mason can claim that criticism of her is dog whistle racism is beyond me.

Unsurprisingly no Labour supporter, not even [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] , has managed to bring themselves to support her. God forbid that we end up with her as Home Sec.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Unsurprisingly no Labour supporter, not even [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] , has managed to bring themselves to support her. God forbid that we end up with her as Home Sec.
There is nothing to say that she will end up as Home Secretary just because she is shadowing the brief. Do you actually follow politics?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
There is nothing to say that she will end up as Home Secretary just because she is shadowing the brief. Do you actually follow politics?

Do behave. She has been Jeremy Corbyn's shadow Home Secretary since October 2016, and throughout this general election campaign. Are you seriously suggesting that it would be sensible to have someone step cold into that role at a time of a national terrorism crisis? Why on earth is she the Shadow now if Corbyn didn't intend appointing her. That would be ridiculous.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Or Foreign Secretary. I just heard on the BBC news Diane Abbott being criticised for something she said in 1984. I do hope nobody can remember what I said then!

So, would you support her being Home Secretary? or holding any of the great offices of state?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Or Foreign Secretary. I just heard on the BBC news Diane Abbott being criticised for something she said in 1984. I do hope nobody can remember what I said then!

I suppose it all depends on what is was you said and whether you've shown demonstrably that you've recanted those views.

If you really liked U2 back then but now given away your LPs then no-one will hold that against you but if - oh, I don't know, what would be really damning - if say, you've consistently spoken up for terrorists who have bombed Britain and over the next 30 years consistently voted against terrorist legislation but in the last week announced that you've washed all that out of your hair - then no-one's going to believe a bloody word you say. But this is all hypothetical, no politician would ever to blag that, surely?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
So, would you support her being Home Secretary? or holding any of the great offices of state?
We don't actually get to vote for Cabinet positions. We leave that to the Winner and if JC wants her as Home Secretary then yes I support that appointment. Do you have a problem with that?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We don't actually get to vote for Cabinet positions. We leave that to the Winner and if JC wants her as Home Secretary then yes I support that appointment. Do you have a problem with that?

You've watched her performances over the past few weeks, and you would support her being Home Secretary with responsibility for national security and policing. Really? Gold help us!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I suppose it all depends on what is was you said and whether you've shown demonstrably that you've recanted those views.

If you really liked U2 back then but now given away your LPs then no-one will hold that against you but if - oh, I don't know, what would be really damning - if say, you've consistently spoken up for terrorists who have bombed Britain and over the next 30 years consistently voted against terrorist legislation but in the last week announced that you've washed all that out of your hair - then no-one's going to believe a bloody word you say. But this is all hypothetical, no politician would ever to blag that, surely?
Oh come on Buzzer not even you can believe that! He has never spoken up for bombers, as you know, he is a pacifist which you may well not like but he has consistently argued against violence as even you must acknowledge. Are you going to trot out the lies that he has never condemned the IRA? Yes he has, many times, it is even in Hansard yet still the Tories shout the lies.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
You've watched her performances over the past few weeks, and you would support her being Home Secretary with responsibility for national security and policing. Really? Gold help us!

My choice doesn't count. Bit like choosing the team for Albion, if the manager wants those players, who am I to disagree. It's his job on the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here