Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
OMG grammatical errors is that the best you can come up with. Not doing to bad for being thick though, in a managers job that pays extremly well and my own house to boot
Very middle class some would say, college boy. Does mummy still do your washing

Where have I said you are thick please do provide the evidence. As a manager I'm sure you're used to providing that at annual appraisal time so it won't be a difficulty for you.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
UKIP view:
http://www.ukip.org/myths_still_abound_over_access_to_eu_market
Gove:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/0c5c74bc-151e-11e6-b197-a4af20d5575e
Schauble in the guardian this time:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ss-for-uk-after-brexit-wolfgang-schauble-says

UKIP seem to have made their position clear on the single market, stating that they would perhaps be out of it and they disassociated themselves from Norway etc. They spoke of other large economies that operated either with trade agreements or operating under wto rules.

The remain camp equally made it clear that a vote to leave would most likely result in leaving the single market and there are many online articles citing plans they had to try to avoid leaving it.

I believe it was abundantly clear that we would possibly leave the single market by both sides but remainers find it more palatable to put the blame on racists who are thick.

It is strange then that it is easy to find video of Farage stating that Norway and Switzerland do ok by being outside of the EU, when it has been put to him that we would suffer economically by leaving. I do not recall ever seeing that question answered with mention of a nation that is not in the single market. However, I do not doubt that at the time of voting, many leave voters, the majority even, were well aware that it would possibly result in leaving the single market, some of them believed that that is exactly what they would get. My point is that it has not always been clear, and it was not a question asked or answered by the referendum.

What makes some of them thick is believing that could happen and we will not see anything like the predictions of the experts regarding economic fallout, and that even if we do, it won't last for long, or that somehow we will no longer receive Syrian refugees and give them asylum, or that we will be funding the NHS with an extra £350M.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
its a load of edited bollocks and no doubt if you played the full interviews you would have more context and not soundbites of a few words.

whoever made it goes on my list of morons who are still unable to tell the difference between "access to" and " membership of" the single market.

:thumbsup: ......

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Leaving aside the grammatical errors, which I see have been commented on, you seem to be confusing different things into one. Clearly you can label an individual leave voter as thick

Their are differing views

THERE are differing views, and just because we make mistakes or have different opinions, it does not make us "thick" does it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
THERE are differing views, and just because we make mistakes or have different opinions, it does not make us "thick" does it.

I have no problem with differing views, the world would be a much duller place if everyone agreed with everything. What I can not stand is people making things up and then not accepting what they have posted is wrong, or being accused of being a liar due to someone's inability to correctly read what is written, and where to look to hide behind 'its my view' when clearly what they are saying is factually wrong.

I have yet to research the detail that [MENTION=34242]Neville's Breakfast[/MENTION] has mentioned so I am unable to comment on whether you fall into the category of people he references. If you do, then I can only hope that you have a partner or close friend who can help you through your daily difficulties in trying to understand details that most other people don't give a second thought to.

To avoid any further upset to you, and to allow you to post anything you want without being picked up the errors or lack or understanding on your part, I will add you to my ignore list so that I have no need to comment.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is strange then that it is easy to find video of Farage stating that Norway and Switzerland do ok by being outside of the EU, when it has been put to him that we would suffer economically by leaving. I do not recall ever seeing that question answered with mention of a nation that is not in the single market. However, I do not doubt that at the time of voting, many leave voters, the majority even, were well aware that it would possibly result in leaving the single market, some of them believed that that is exactly what they would get. My point is that it has not always been clear, and it was not a question asked or answered by the referendum.

What makes some of them thick is believing that could happen and we will not see anything like the predictions of the experts regarding economic fallout, and that even if we do, it won't last for long, or that somehow we will no longer receive Syrian refugees and give them asylum, or that we will be funding the NHS with an extra £350M.
There will be ramifications for leaving the single market. But as to the Farage comment, I don't think that's strange at all. If I'm reading it right, experts were telling him we would be x worse off. He was just reassuring people we'd be okay?

We know how credible the experts have been in all this. The then chancellor amongst others, who must surely rate as a top expert expressed a stream of disastrous consequences in the immediate aftermath of voting leave. None of these expert opinions proved right and in fact the British economy up to now, has exceeded all of the most positive expectations. So it is wise, to take expert advice with a large pinch of salt as they mostly don't know what they are talking about.

If we lose access to the single market, a may flourish or we may suffer badly. Experts will claim they were right if we suffer. It doesn't mean they had any more idea than the next man after all there is almost a 50% chance they will be right. I would like those 'experts' such as Osborne to explain why our economy didn't nosedive after the referendum and why there was no emergency budget, why no tax rises and why interest rates haven't risen dramatically due to rising inflation.

But those experts will only predict bad stuff, and if they are right feel vindicated and bask in the glory unless of course they are wrong, in which case, they will hide like after the referendum.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
There will be ramifications for leaving the single market. But as to the Farage comment, I don't think that's strange at all. If I'm reading it right, experts were telling him we would be x worse off. He was just reassuring people we'd be okay?

We know how credible the experts have been in all this. The then chancellor amongst others, who must surely rate as a top expert expressed a stream of disastrous consequences in the immediate aftermath of voting leave. None of these expert opinions proved right and in fact the British economy up to now, has exceeded all of the most positive expectations. So it is wise, to take expert advice with a large pinch of salt as they mostly don't know what they are talking about.

If we lose access to the single market, a may flourish or we may suffer badly. Experts will claim they were right if we suffer. It doesn't mean they had any more idea than the next man after all there is almost a 50% chance they will be right. I would like those 'experts' such as Osborne to explain why our economy didn't nosedive after the referendum and why there was no emergency budget, why no tax rises and why interest rates haven't risen dramatically due to rising inflation.

But those experts will only predict bad stuff, and if they are right feel vindicated and bask in the glory unless of course they are wrong, in which case, they will hide like after the referendum.

I think all the experts have now gone undercover. They are probably giving themselves a makeover to then resurface to advise Brexit was the best thing ever

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have no problem with differing views, the world would be a much duller place if everyone agreed with everything. What I can not stand is people making things up and then not accepting what they have posted is wrong, or being accused of being a liar due to someone's inability to correctly read what is written, and where to look to hide behind 'its my view' when clearly what they are saying is factually wrong.

I have yet to research the detail that [MENTION=34242]Neville's Breakfast[/MENTION] has mentioned so I am unable to comment on whether you fall into the category of people he references. If you do, then I can only hope that you have a partner or close friend who can help you through your daily difficulties in trying to understand details that most other people don't give a second thought to.

To avoid any further upset to you, and to allow you to post anything you want without being picked up the errors or lack or understanding on your part, I will add you to my ignore list so that I have no need to comment.

I certainly wasn't referring to any individual posters on NSC old chap. Just a request for people to not
rush to judgement and labeling. You make some good points on this thread and there is no need for you to undermine your position by being tempted to disparage the intelligence of others.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OMG grammatical errors is that the best you can come up with. Not doing to bad for being thick though, in a managers job that pays extremly well and my own house to boot
Very middle class some would say, college boy. Does mummy still do your washing

5/10

Corrections below.

OMG, grammatical errors. Is that the best you can come up with? Not doing too bad for being thick though, in a manager's job that pays extremly well and my own house to boot.
Very middle class some would say, college boy. Does mummy still do your washing?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I certainly wasn't referring to any individual posters on NSC old chap. Just a request for people to not
rush to judgement and labeling. You make some good points on this thread and there is no need for you to undermine your position by being tempted to disparage the intelligence of others.

I never thought you were refering to any individual poster, a bit of mischief on his part.
Like portslade seagull stated he has not done too bad for a "thick" person.
Now me, rather than as studio 150 thinks i " hope that you have a partner or close friend who can help you through your daily difficulties in trying to understand details that most other people don't give a second thought to", i have also managed quite well, in fact unlike some i was not still living at home after 21.
This "thick" bloke has a property, no mortgage, a half stake in another paid property and about 3 years wages in savings, plus a self employed pension.....do you know what i did not have any " help you through your daily difficulties in trying to understand details that most other people don't give a second thought to". Baffling isn't it :)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Yes, Farage was trying to reassure, but he used examples of Nations in the single market, it is then disingenuous to say that UKIP have distanced themselves from a Norway or Switzerland type arrangement.

I would disagree that George Osborne is or was a top expert, but he was qualified to give an opinion on what would be required in terms of a rethink on the Budget.In regard to that, although we have not had a full budget, the targets to address the defecit and return a surplus have now been abandoned. I would suggest that if A50 had been triggered immediately as had been stated by Cameron, we would be in a state similar to that described by the experts.
Although Britain has exceeded growth predictions made for a leave result, we are short of the predictions for a remain result by the same margin. The BoE has cut interest rates and dumped another £70Bn of QE into the economy to facilitate that growth.

I think it is right to take things slowly, prepare for negotiations and have as orderly a process as possible, but the fact that we are still in the EU at the moment and have not begun the process is, I think, fooling some of you that none of the predictions had any basis. We will see them if we end up out of the single market for sure, but that could take 2 years in itself, so plenty of time to kid ourselves that experts mostly don't know what they are talking about.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, Farage was trying to reassure, but he used examples of Nations in the single market, it is then disingenuous to say that UKIP have distanced themselves from a Norway or Switzerland type arrangement.

I would disagree that George Osborne is or was a top expert, but he was qualified to give an opinion on what would be required in terms of a rethink on the Budget.In regard to that, although we have not had a full budget, the targets to address the defecit and return a surplus have now been abandoned. I would suggest that if A50 had been triggered immediately as had been stated by Cameron, we would be in a state similar to that described by the experts.
Although Britain has exceeded growth predictions made for a leave result, we are short of the predictions for a remain result by the same margin. The BoE has cut interest rates and dumped another £70Bn of QE into the economy to facilitate that growth.

I think it is right to take things slowly, prepare for negotiations and have as orderly a process as possible, but the fact that we are still in the EU at the moment and have not begun the process is, I think, fooling some of you that none of the predictions had any basis. We will see them if we end up out of the single market for sure, but that could take 2 years in itself, so plenty of time to kid ourselves that experts mostly don't know what they are talking about.
That is not quite true about Osborne. He stated that there would need to be an emergency budget with almost immediate effect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here