Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
What does it mean when the economy is doing well.It means lots of jobs are created.Lots of jobs for migrants.So what's the point.

If Turkey,Albania etc are accepted into the EU that's a potential 88 million who can go where they want.Stands to reason some will come here.

I'd be interested to know what is Remains breaking point.Will they back-off when we've taken in another 3m migrants?5million?10 million?When do even they say enough is enough because you can be sure as hell they also have a breaking point.
With Brexit our breaking point has been passed because only we seem to have the common sense to see what problems lie ahead.What problems are already here.

Turkey joining the EU is a Brexiter scare tactic. It's not happening. Every single EU member state has to okay Turkey joining, will they? no. It also has to undertake 35 set of 'chapter' reforms to be admitted. Turkey has completed one. I can tell you now it is failing the 'vibrant democracy' part of the deal.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Turkey joining the EU is a Brexiter scare tactic. It's not happening. Every single EU member state has to okay Turkey joining, will they? no. It also has to undertake 35 set of 'chapter' reforms to be admitted. Turkey has completed one. I can tell you now it is failing the 'vibrant democracy' part of the deal.

Within 10 years there will be a kebab shop on every street corner.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We we do have borders and border controls, we're not in Schengen.

I know, what was everyone thinking,bit silly of us really.
And to think we had that control all along and we could stop all EU migrants coming here to live and work tomorrow simply by telling the border guards to say no.

As I said I wish you lot had mentioned this sooner.

OK perhaps we shouldn’t stop all of them tomorrow,but its getting a bit busy around here, perhaps with our new found controls/controls we always had but didn’t realise we could just let in some Dutch and Germans at first and put a block on all Italians, Romanians, and Spanish.

Sounds fair doesn’t it? Or do you have a better list of EU nationals we could prioritise.
The Belgians are a bit of a rum lot perhaps we could just block them from coming here to live and work.Polish plumbers are ok as well I suppose but lets control all the ones that want to work in a cafés.

I feel a great weight has been lifted ……thanks for clarifying border controls

D

Deleted member 22389

The whole point of Turkey keeping back Economic migrants is so they can eventually be fast tracked in to joining the EU.
http://www.politico.eu/article/turkey-eu-concessions-refugee-help-migration-crisis-merkel-erdogan-germany/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/666197/EU-Turkey-deal-migrant-crisis-Ukraine

Last edited by a moderator:

larus

[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] , I would be very interested in your view as to what the outcome of the EURO will be.

Let's start with a few FACTS (not opinions or left-wing newspaper articles).
1. There has NEVER been a currency union which has survived without full FISCAL and POLITCAL union.
2. It is widely accepted that the EURO cannot survive in it's current state due to the imbalances within the Eurozone.
3. The Eurozone area combined GDP is still below the 2008 pre-crisis level. The U.K. Is not.

So, the only eventual outcome for the EURO is either:
1. Full FISCAL and POLITICAL union - or
2. Collapse due to internal strains.

The only reason the UK works as a single currency for 4 countries, is that we accept the over-arching structure of the UK. So, the wealth generating benefits of London/SE get distributed to the areas which need more support. For the EURO to survive long-term, this MUST happen. However, can you honestly see the Germans, Dutch, Fins agreeing to transfer their taxes to support the (as they view it) 'lazy' Mediterranean life-style.

I honestly can't. Once the EURO collapses (which it will eventually), the structure of Europe will change fundamentally. This will have a huge impact on the global financial institutions, as it will be fast and disorderly. Protectionism will become rampant.

We were given all of the same scare stories years ago about not joining the EURO. Well, guess what - for all of those scare stories, we've actually done rather well over here. The sky didn't fall in. The financial institutions didn't transfer to Paris/Frankfurt.

And , as for a slight drop in economic activity over the last few months, well I'd happens. Any intelligent person understands that economic activity is not 'straight-line', and more importantly, the official figures don't encompass the whole economy, are an indication and not totally accurate, and are nearly always revised upwards post the event. I remember you harking on about the double/triple dip recession which we supposedly suffered a few years ago, but when the figures were adjusted due to more data being available, we never went back into recession again.

And, as for being able to control our borders. Again, you remain lot are disingenuous (being polite there). Yes, we can check who comes into the country. We CANNOT stop any EU citizen choosing to come here to work. This is what the BREXIT camp claim. You know it but continually repeat the same drivel that we can control.

D

Deleted member 22389

@Herr Tubthumper , I would be very interested in your view as to what the outcome of the EURO will be.

1. There has NEVER been a currency union which has survived without full FISCAL and POLITCAL union.
2. It is widely accepted that the EURO cannot survive in it's current state due to the imbalances within the Eurozone.
3. The Eurozone area combined GDP is still below the 2008 pre-crisis level. The U.K. Is not.

So, the only eventual outcome for the EURO is either:
1. Full FISCAL and POLITICAL union - or
2. Collapse due to internal strains.

The only reason the UK works as a single currency for 4 countries, is that we accept the over-arching structure of the UK. So, the wealth generating benefits of London/SE get distributed to the areas which need more support. For the EURO to survive long-term, this MUST happen. However, can you honestly see the Germans, Dutch, Fins agreeing to transfer their taxes to support the (as they view it) 'lazy' Mediterranean life-style.

I honestly can't. Once the EURO collapses (which it will eventually), the structure of Europe will change fundamentally. This will have a huge impact on the global financial institutions, as it will be fast and disorderly. Protectionism will become rampant.

We were given all of the same scare stories years ago about not joining the EURO. Well, guess what - for all of those scare stories, we've actually done rather well over here. The sky didn't fall in. The financial institutions didn't transfer to Paris/Frankfurt.

And , as for a slight drop in economic activity over the last few months, well I'd happens. Any intelligent person understands that economic activity is not 'straight-line', and more importantly, the official figures don't encompass the whole economy, are an indication and not totally accurate, and are nearly always revised upwards post the event. I remember you harking on about the double/triple dip recession which we supposedly suffered a few years ago, but when the figures were adjusted due to more data being available, we never went back into recession again.

And, as for being able to control our borders. Again, you remain lot are disingenuous (being polite there). Yes, we can check who comes into the country. We CANNOT stop any EU citizen choosing to come here to work. This is what the BREXIT camp claim. You know it but continually repeat the same drivel that we can control.

Good post, nobody from Remain wants to face the real facts when presented to them, that we can never control the free movement of people all the time we are members of the EU.

I just don't understand what the thinking is behind the EU, I really don't. For example Albania will be joining shortly, what does anyone in the EU gain from them joining?

Economy wise this country sits 121st in the world for imports and exports, has unemployment running at 17% and an average wage of around 400 euros a month and has a higher crime rate than the UK.

So can someone in support of Remain tell me what the point of this is please?

Last edited by a moderator:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

I have no confidence in this defence. Assuming they won't try to bypass such an obvious rule this time, you think we'll get a national referendum to decide on that? No, it'll be a behind-closed-doors deal between Cameron and the EU. And I do not have any faith in his negotiating skills...

The deal will be done before you can say 'democracy'

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

The reason Turkey are housing so many "refugees" is so that they will be fast tracked into the EU.
Why are you so trusting of the EU?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It would appear that by voting to remain you could be voting for a roll back of the progress we have made on animal welfare ..... especially around chicken and egg production.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/24/real-cost-of-roast-chicken-animal-welfare-farms

So if you quite fancy chickens being tortured then vote to stay. As a chicken keeper I'll not be voting to stay in an organisation that will bow to American demands in TTIP that would lower our welfare standards to theirs.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
EU red tape is suffocating UK economy and Brexit can set us free

So the fact that 110 business leaders, including HSBC’s former boss Mike Geoghegan, have just signed a pro-Brexit letter is a great statement of intent, especially given that they explicitly single out EU regulation as a major threat to the City.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...cating-uk-economy-and-brexit-can-set-us-free/

Many of the names – Luke Johnson of Risk Capital Partners, Crispin Odey of Odey Asset Management, Paul Marshall, chairman of Marshall Wace, Peter Hargreaves, co-founder of Hargreaves Lansdown, Peter Cruddas, founder of CMC Markets and Dominic Burke of JLT – are entrepreneurs who have all built their own, world-class firms, including in the financial services industry.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Brexit Would Create 60,000 Jobs & Boost Economy by BILLIONS Says Employment Minister.

European Union (EU) legislation is costing every household in Britain the equivalent of £4,600 a year, the employment minister Priti Patel has warned. And she said that British businesses are being stifled by Brussels red tape, arguing that setting them free could boost the economy by billions of pounds. (Breitbart)

Just SIX per cent of British companies export their goods and services to other EU member states — but all must comply with stringent regulations, costing small firms dearly –

“It is a fact that while we remain a member of the European Union, our hands are tied and we are powerless to act on reducing the burdens of red tape,” Ms. Patel told an audience of business leaders in London.
http://gbrexit.com/brexit/brexit-wo...economy-by-billions-says-employment-minister/

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
EU red tape is suffocating UK economy and Brexit can set us free

So the fact that 110 business leaders, including HSBC’s former boss Mike Geoghegan, have just signed a pro-Brexit letter is a great statement of intent, especially given that they explicitly single out EU regulation as a major threat to the City.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...cating-uk-economy-and-brexit-can-set-us-free/

Many of the names – Luke Johnson of Risk Capital Partners, Crispin Odey of Odey Asset Management, Paul Marshall, chairman of Marshall Wace, Peter Hargreaves, co-founder of Hargreaves Lansdown, Peter Cruddas, founder of CMC Markets and Dominic Burke of JLT – are entrepreneurs who have all built their own, world-class firms, including in the financial services industry.

Having worked with mg, I would take that as a reason to vote in.

If he'd had any economic sense hsbc wouldn't have bought into the subprime us market with household

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Fair enough, and the other 109 business leaders?

Haven't read the full list but doubt I've worked with any of them.

Can only speak as I find and MG got overlooked to be chairman of hsbc when Stephen Green was enobled.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

1: *cough* CFA Franc *cough*

3: Not true: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eurozone-economy-idUSKCN0XQ0WL

Other than that, nice FACTS.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The reason Turkey are housing so many "refugees" is so that they will be fast tracked into the EU.
Why are you so trusting of the EU?

I'm not but that is a hard political calculation. They get billions of Euros and we have some sort of solution to the crisis. Was visa free travel on the table previously? Events have forced hands. That is one thing, full membership is quite another.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The remainer bang on about the economic shock to the tune of $4300/year worse of in 2030......i/we could be better off slightly if the population increase is not as high following an EU exit-

But i predict we could all be upto £10000/year worse off if we stay in by 2030 with a population of 80 million the cheap foreign work force will undercut everybody's wages..they will work for less than we will employers will lap it up across the board,they will happily accept a foreign worker who has every right to work here and will do the job for less money,they will love it..

Make no mistake we will lose out eventually if we remain in the EU.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The remainer bang on about the economic shock to the tune of $4300/year worse of in 2030......i/we could be better off slightly if the population increase is not as high following an EU exit-

But i predict we could all be upto £10000/year worse off if we stay in by 2030 with a population of 80 million the cheap foreign work force will undercut everybody's wages..they will work for less than we will employers will lap it up across the board,they will happily accept a foreign worker who has every right to work here and will do the job for less money,they will love it..

I also think we will lose out eventually if we remain in. I also think that the EU will eventually collapse but not before more countries are crippled like Greece. Best to get out now.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

The more lies the remainers come out with the healthier the brexit vote becomes. People are not falling for the scaremongering anymore and are switching to out. Let them keep on they our losing this vote by their own hands

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here