Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southampton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Was I listening to the same game? sounded like we were totally over run in the second half :shrug:

Maybe I’ve been gallows humour whooshed?

No. Watched a live stream. Only one team in it second half and it wasn’t us

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Hughton is breaking my heart, I desperately wanted the Norwich fans to be wrong, I wanted him to prove he wasn’t a predictable defensive manager :nono:

I know exactly how you feel. Same old performances/tactics week after week. Lucky to get a point tonight I felt. Saints didn't have a clue either.... Which frustrates me even more that we didn't take advantage

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
On a more positive note Ulloa looked as fit as a dead dog turd, still roll on Saturday for yet another debacle. (Get in the Gym Ulloa) :glare:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Why not give 352 a chance .

Because he tried it against Chelsea with the likes of Hazard and co. And despite looking probably the most threatening we have all season. The fact we lost, justifies him reverting back to type...If we had played that way tonight, against that pile of shite. We would have pissed all over them.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I must bow down to your positive vibes...:bowdown: But I do feel we are more in the shite than when shitty Mcshitshit had a shit and landed himself right in the shit..........:ffsparr:

I have to be positive, no point in moaning about the way we are playing, I'll let others do that for me, that's what they seem good at.
Chris Hughton , if he reads all this negativity, will probably grimace, laugh then grimace again :wink:
He'll get us out of this predicament the players are leading us into, I know it's about unleashing, but best be cautious and not lose than gungho and get mullered IMO.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Well I suppose tonight was a "must not lose" rather than a "must win" match but that's about as far as the positives go. I fully anticipated a long, hard slog of a season but what saddens me is that if we end up getting relegated we won't be at all missed. We had such a reservoir of goodwill from the wider world because of our back story but having spent two decades fighting our way to the top we have taken fright upon reaching our destination. We've basically frozen. Nobody is going to look at the stuff we play and think it's a shame we'll not be around next season.

#InstantStoke
This is the problem see...
Now we have very few winnable games left and if we continue with drawing and losing we'll be relegated.

We have to beat teams around us now surely???

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
We didn't lose but that match was undoubtedly a losing performance, probably a miracle that we actually managed to get a point. Play anything like that against a team with end product and we're looking at 3/4-0 defeats honestly. Southampton will probably be thinking they're done for after not being able to beat that, MoPe must be shortlisting a few jobs on Indeed as a contingency plan

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We scraped a draw there.

SCRAPED a draw, after being 1 up against one of the worst teams in the league, low on confidence, short on ideas, crowd on their backs. Yet we still let them back into it, and could easily have lost in the end. It was so vital we didn't lose, so its not a disaster, but by christ. Our first instinct when we get the ball, is to turn back towards our own half and play it back.

Two INFURIATING examples (out of many). First half, Duffy played a superb first time raking 60-70 crossfield ball to Glenn out on their left wing, deep in their half. 4 backward passes later, its back with Duffy on the edge of OUR box. He humps it forward, Soton back in possession.

Early in the second half, we we battled a loose ball about 10 yards outside their box. Schellotto (I think) wins it, plays it forward to Gross who, with back to the Southampton goal just outside the box, pings it 50 yards back to the halfway line to Dunk...who turns and plays it back to Ryan. One punt later, Soton back in possession.

Is this supposed to be smart possession football from us ? Is this supposed to be "patient" ? Because its not. Its playing with fear. That lot were there for the taking tonight, especially after we'd taken the lead. Instead, we go into our shells and try to defend our way to a win, against TRIPE like that who's confidence is shot to bits. If we'd turned towards their goal instead of ours all the cuffing time, we could've put that game to bed.

Instead, more points slip through our fingers. This can only end one way.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Sorry but if we are that poor on Saturday then I will personally drive Chris as far away as possible , so so defensive and negative and boring . Went to Norwich games with a mate and that was torture watching that a couple of times a year. A good Championship manager that Chris one way Hughton

I'm afraid my old mucker Mr. Hughton has to play this shite because the players just aren't good enough. FACT...:ffsparr:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The fact that Southampton's defence looked so frail, and we still didn't got at them, we hardly ever pressed, the only times we did, they panicked and we got the ball back. We gave them time and confidence, the tactics got them the point. They look like a championship team. Unfortunately, so do we.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Moderate championship game tonight. We showed flourishes, but our attack was underpopulated.

....Premier League, you say? Well, blow me down.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Suprised to hear Warren so upbeat about that performance. Maybe you had to be there, sounded awful from the radio commentary

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Well I suppose tonight was a "must not lose" rather than a "must win" match but that's about as far as the positives go. I fully anticipated a long, hard slog of a season but what saddens me is that if we end up getting relegated we won't be at all missed. We had such a reservoir of goodwill from the wider world because of our back story but having spent two decades fighting our way to the top we have taken fright upon reaching our destination. We've basically frozen. Nobody is going to look at the stuff we play and think it's a shame we'll not be around next season.

#InstantStoke

That is symptomatic of the "we must stay in the Premier League at all costs" culture at the moment. I feel that those fans who think it'd be utter disaster for us to go down can't criticise the reserved tactics of Chris. He's putting an 11 out there who are hard to beat, similar to Southampton. At the end of the day we only have to outlast three teams. When we've gone more attacking (like against Chelsea) in a 3-5-2 we've conceded easily, even if we've played more positively. If this style gives us 1-1 instead of 0-1, it's the right way for us to stay up. Add Southampton to the list of Newcastle, West Brom, Swansea and Watford who haven't/can't beat us overall in the two games this year.

I'll be honest I'm a bit depressed - Saints I think are the worst team in the league and will probably sack their manager but they played us off the park. Hoping we can turn things round but the passing isn't good enough and we are not as good defensively as we thought early on in the season

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
January was pivotal. Losing against WBA, not beating Bournemouth at home, and now drawing to a Stains team that haven't won in MONTHS. These are the games we must win. You can be as partizan as you like, and good on you, but you can't deny we've fluffed our lines. EVERY other team in this league looks like they can pick up the odd decent result- right now we simply do not.
Horseshite. We were 5/1 with the bookies tonight for a reason. Away wins at established PL clubs do not come easy.

We are still building the quality of our squad buying off the 3rd or 4th shelf.

That is a good point tonight.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here