Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm staying in Cheshire on the Friday night and planning to do Congleton Parkrun before going to the game. It's three laps around a lake on tarmac so I'm hoping it could be a fast one.

I'm doing the 10k this Sunday, although I'll be much slower than you even when injured! I'm not sure what to aim for really. I did Littlehampton in September in 46:15 and I think I'm faster now, but my problem is that 10k is the distance I'm least interested in so I rarely run it even in training, and I never run it at my maximum pace. I tried pacing myself at Littlehampton and that went okay, so I am tempted to do the opposite and go for it at Brighton, pretend the first 5k is a Parkrun and clock about 21:00-21:30, then see how long I can hold on. At least I'll learn how I cope with that approach.

If I fail to recover properly I could pace you for sub 45 if you think that’s achievable? I’ve never paced before and I have a habit of starting to quickly so I will do my best to remain disciplined.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hey fellow running geeks, what should your maximum heart rate be when going out for a run???

Is there an average rate?

Does it depend on your resting rate?

Well i don't know.:dunce:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hey fellow running geeks, what should your maximum heart rate be when going out for a run???

Is there an average rate?

Does it depend on your resting rate?

Well i don't know.:dunce:

Good question but answer not so simple

Max would normally be 220-your age (so 180 for a 40 year old for example) but you’d virtually never train at that rate, and if you did it would be for extremely short intervals.

Heart rate training is a useful discipline and a lot of people use it instead of training by pace, as it’s sometimes a better indicator of effort (for example you’ll be slower on a hilly offroad course than you will on flat road for the same effort, so going by HR makes sense).

Have a read of this :

https://www.active.com/fitness/articles/how-to-calculate-your-training-heart-rate-zones

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
So are any NSC'ers planning a weekend trip for the Old Trafford game on the 25/11 and doing a local Parkrun on the Saturday morning?

I'm staying in the Eccles area, and planning on having a go at Worsley Woods parkrun on that Saturday.

Just wondering if I'll see any Albion fans :)

Staying in Didsbury, and planning to do the Platt Fields Parkrun before the Old Trafford match. Will be my fifth awayday parkrun this season (Leicester, B'mouth, West Ham and Swansea so far)

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I’m in. God knows why, I hate10k and Brooks is over crowded.

Oh well at least the weather should be better than last year!

Me too - doesn't actually seem to be called the Brooks this year. If anything, last year's weather (when it was cancelled) seemed no worse to me than 2015, which was horrendously windy. Forecast for Sunday looks positively balmy!

D

Deleted member 2719

Good question but answer not so simple

Max would normally be 220-your age (so 180 for a 40 year old for example) but you’d virtually never train at that rate, and if you did it would be for extremely short intervals.

Heart rate training is a useful discipline and a lot of people use it instead of training by pace, as it’s sometimes a better indicator of effort (for example you’ll be slower on a hilly offroad course than you will on flat road for the same effort, so going by HR makes sense).

Have a read of this :

https://www.active.com/fitness/articles/how-to-calculate-your-training-heart-rate-zones

Okay thanks i will read that article later as i have a bit to do.

But in the mean time here is my heart rate for the 4.77km that i ran this morning and i am 53, any adjustments needed in you opinion???

Attachments

• Heart rate 1.PNG
    Heart rate 1.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 81

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Okay thanks i will read that article later as i have a bit to do.

But in the mean time here is my heart rate for the 4.77km that i ran this morning and i am 53, any adjustments needed in you opinion???

Depends entirely on what your objectives for the run were......based on the HR alone, you ran it an an average of 90%, which is pretty much ‘race pace/effort’ for 5k. If that’s what you were aiming for that’s great, but if it was supposed to be an easy run you were working far too hard........

D

Deleted member 2719

Depends entirely on what your objectives for the run were......based on the HR alone, you ran it an an average of 90%, which is pretty much ‘race pace/effort’ for 5k. If that’s what you were aiming for that’s great, but if it was supposed to be an easy run you were working far too hard........

Ok thanks i did run it like i always run, as fast as i feel i can go without injury!
I am not looking to run races apart from the parkrun as i would have to commit more to it, so should i be trying to do a gentle 75% HR type of run?

I only run once a week at present sometimes 1 in 10 days, should i be running more at my age for any chance of PB's ???

Sorry i am clueless at this running game as i am just a novice and bow to you and the running guru's on this thread, however if we talk football then you all have to bow to me because i am the lord!!!:D

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Returned to Preston park pr today (son #1 who couldn't be bothered last week, decided he fancied it this week!).

Managed a better run: 21:20 (18secs off my PB) so happy with that.

Vegan runners turned up en masses for some reason - there were hundreds of them making a lot of noise and swelling the runners there to over 500.
(I don't really get "vegan runners", I'm afraid; aren't they just runners who are fussy eaters? Or have a missed something?)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Vegan runners turned up en masses for some reason - there were hundreds of them making a lot of noise and swelling the runners there to over 500.
(I don't really get "vegan runners", I'm afraid; aren't they just runners who are fussy eaters? Or have a missed something?)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It's just a running club, composed of runners who have something else in common (being vegans). I think it's also a way of promoting veganism, and showing that popular beliefs that you can't be healthy and fit on a vegan diet are wrong. Some of them are pretty fast. Don't have a problem with it myself (although I'm not a vegan).

I think the vegan runners club is having some kind of convention in Brighton this weekend. A lot of them will be running the Brighton 10k tomorrow, I understand.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ok thanks i did run it like i always run, as fast as i feel i can go without injury!
I am not looking to run races apart from the parkrun as i would have to commit more to it, so should i be trying to do a gentle 75% HR type of run?

I only run once a week at present sometimes 1 in 10 days, should i be running more at my age for any chance of PB's ???

Sorry i am clueless at this running game as i am just a novice and bow to you and the running guru's on this thread, however if we talk football then you all have to bow to me because i am the lord!!!:D

I'm a simple soul and my rule of thumb is that you look at your target distance (10 miles, 10k, 5k or whatever) and the pace you are aiming to run (eg 8 minute miles) and when training then run shorter distances faster and longer distance slower - but maybe more than once every 10 days if you are going to improve and hit PBs. That's it: the book will be soon available at all good booksellers! And at a stroke I've insulted the intelligence of everyone that visits this thread.............

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm a simple soul and my rule of thumb is that you look at your target distance (10 miles, 10k, 5k or whatever) and the pace you are aiming to run (eg 8 minute miles) and when training then run shorter distances faster and longer distance slower - but maybe more than once every 10 days if you are going to improve and hit PBs. That's it: the book will be soon available at all good booksellers! And at a stroke I've insulted the intelligence of everyone that visits this thread.............

I've been reading a lot about 8 day training weeks and the positive effects it can have on your training cycle. When training for Brighton Marathon 2018 I'm going to look to incorporate 8 day training weeks and try to lob in a few fast and hard races along the way as well as doing things like mixing up the pace on the mile runs - for example for the longer runs mixing up the tempo. Say you're doing 16 miles, run 4 at a minute slower than race pace, then 4 at a minute quicker, etc. Or 8 blocks of 2. My only concern with that is the discipline to manage yourself like that when out on the run, but if it's structured and for a purpose then I presume I could cope?!

No parkrun for me today for the first time in 13/14 weeks, it was my work Christmas party last night and I was feeling tender this morning. I've also developed a couple of worrying bruises I can't explain, one savage one above my left knee and one on my right wrist which is a particularly nasty colour. Tomorrow will be a rest day as was today.

D

Deleted member 2719

Can you do a YouTube channel instead as I need pictures more than words to get me doing PB'S!

Thanks for the advice I may put this into action.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Went for it this morning at the Brighton 10k. Most of the discomfort has left the groin but moved to the top of my left glute and lower back. When I'm running it's not too bad but after its painful.

Ran a much more evenly paced race with no [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] to compete against. Quickest mile 6:10 (mile 1) slowest mile 6:19 (mile 5) finished in 39:09 so a 1 second pb and 11 seconds quicker than Arena 80 3 weeks ago.

I'll be taking it easy now and running slowly in prep for the Downland Devil 9 & Mince Pie 10. I still have an outside chance of hitting 1000 miles for the year for the first time if I can average 22.5 miles per week for 6 weeks.

How did everyone else get on?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

What's your 5k times these days Mouldy?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Went for it this morning at the Brighton 10k. Most of the discomfort has left the groin but moved to the top of my left glute and lower back. When I'm running it's not too bad but after its painful.

Ran a much more evenly paced race with no [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] to compete against. Quickest mile 6:10 (mile 1) slowest mile 6:19 (mile 5) finished in 39:09 so a 1 second pb and 11 seconds quicker than Arena 80 3 weeks ago.

I'll be taking it easy now and running slowly in prep for the Downland Devil 9 & Mince Pie 10. I still have an outside chance of hitting 1000 miles for the year for the first time if I can average 22.5 miles per week for 6 weeks.

Good running. :clap:

I ran a 10km PB of 41:43. Great content conditions for it today.

Regretting playing football last night now as I might have gone even faster.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Took it steady for 48:27. This was on the back of a late night in London a few too many beers last night. Decided to just enjoy the conditions and relax.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here