Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Nottingham, Jul 14-18, 2017

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you seriously believe England's chances are anything like what they were at Headingley in 1981? He was the state of the match at one point in that one:

Aus 401 ao
Eng 174 ao
Eng 135/7

England were still nearly 100 from making Australia bat again when odds of 500/1 were offered.

Anyway, I'm half expecting England to lose another wicket now that I've contributed on here again. :lolol:

As you may have noticed, I wasn't advocating 500/1 for today's match! However, the 17/2 that was quoted in an earlier post was ridiculously low.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Cook. 15 off 34 and it took 22 balls to get off the mark. The lads on fire!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well the chances statistically are about the same.........winning after following on is pretty rare, but winning by scoring 474 in the 4th innings has never happened......

Were loose by 200.

Having seen a bit of the action in the past two overs - Cook fortunate not to be caught and now Ballance just surviving LBW, I'll be surprised it we get within 150 of this target.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Massive shout from Philander... pleading... but not given by Simon Fry... and FdP reviews it again... pitching outside??

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Massive shout from Philander... pleading... but not given by Simon Fry... and FdP reviews it again... pitching outside??

No it's just in line... and Ballance trapped on the crease and hit in front is a goner :nono:

28-2 (11.5 overs)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Superb front line bowling from these two. Not giving much away and getting their rewards.

The game is gone unless these two can put on 150.

Was that the odds of England making it to lunch?
It may as well have been. That said, this was always going to be about how long Cook and Root can bat. Neither Jennings nor Ballance have the attritional temperment for this sort of knock.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was always going to be down to Cook and Root to put up a semblance of a fight. Would have been nice if Jennings and Balance could have hung about for a LITTLE while to help blunt the new ball, though. Cocks.

As an aside, why was Philander so completely unthreatening in a Sussex shirt?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It was always going to be down to Cook and Root to put up a semblance of a fight. Would have been nice if Jennings and Balance could have hung about for a LITTLE while to help blunt the new ball, though. Cocks.

As an aside, why was Philander so completely unthreatening in a Sussex shirt?

Unfit, injured, bowling against better batsmen!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yeah it's a shame with Ballance as he seems a decent bloke and his County record this season has been exceptional. But he's been completely found out at test level. The top bowlers know exactly how to get him out and at number 3, he's a liability.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There ain't going to be a draw
No, you misunderstand. I was responding to the following post, and suggesting that such an approach would lead to drawing more games and winning less:
What do you want a successful test side that can add flair to resilience or a team that flashes at everything and loses most games playing limited over cricket. I know which I prefer and its not todays dismal performance

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here