Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People using the word "narrative".......

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
You don't need to use it in every sentence. It's not big and it's not clever and it certainly doesn't make you sound more intelligent.

There, I said it !

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
'Curate' too.

We have a lot of people where I work with the job title of 'curators' and back in the 80s it generally described an old boy with a socks and sandals, a slightly confused expression, claret on his tie and an incredibly in-depth knowledge of a very esoteric area. Now it covers everything from someone selecting music for a festival to someone with a lot of links on a Twitter feed. Someone, who basically watches DVDs and records things on SkyPlus, told me recently without a hint of irony that he 'curates' his TV viewing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
All depends how nuanced the usage is...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Transparent' . . . . .

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
'Personally speaking' is one that always irritates me.

How else can you speak. (Apart of course if you're a spokesperson for a company etc).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sentences beginning with "so" and "absolutely" being used instead of "yes".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pragmatic.

But my biggest bugbear is the ridiculously Americanised 'super' used when either 'very' or 'really' would suffice perfectly well.

You're not "super excited" about the fixtures you absolute plum.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"Emotional" and "inspirational" are my two annoyances.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Too be honest......

And while we are on the subject of annoying people, the idiots that bob about to music in their car, desperately trying to show everyone how wild and wacky they are, is it just me that wants to violently kill them? God I hate happy people.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Too be honest......

And while we are on the subject of annoying people, the idiots that bob about to music in their car, desperately trying to show everyone how wild and wacky they are, is it just me that wants to violently kill them? God I hate happy people.

So,Is it possible to kill someone unviolently?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't say I've noticed this. "Road map" is my bugbear at the moment, e.g. "road map for peace". Map is fine, but it's not a road map ffs.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
"Can I get ........." - makes me want to throttle anyone saying this within my earshot.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You don't need to use it in every sentence. It's not big and it's not clever and it certainly doesn't make you sound more intelligent.

There, I said it !

I struggle to see how anyone could use it in every sentence. But then I suspect you're exaggerating things to fit your narrative.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Pragmatic.

But my biggest bugbear is the ridiculously Americanised 'super' used when either 'very' or 'really' would suffice perfectly well.

You're not "super excited" about the fixtures you absolute plum.

Absolutely this. I was in Denmark a couple of months ago, and they've taken that Americanism and are feverishly running with it. Super excited, Super happy, Super pleased, you name it...

Man, sticious and unleaded are the only three words super should be in front of.

My biggest arse-itch is "Telcon" - short for telephone conversation. "Yah, yah, lets have a telcon about that, yah. Tomorrow, yah? Midday. Yah, good. I'm super excited...". :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here