Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attempt to land on a comet is a GO!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bizarre they worked for me after I'd posted - do they not open when you click on them? I'll try again...

Farewell_Rosetta_node_full_image_2.jpg

Farewell_Philae_-_narrow-angle_view_node_full_image_2.jpg

They work for me now - amazing shots!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
And right now there's a whole group of geeky European space scientist guys and girls pointing in the direction of Houston, singing "Who are ya?".

If they're not, they should be. An utterly remarkable achievement.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Yes - ish. Of course they'd have to launch the missile 11 years in advance of it hitting us, and there's a 5 year build programme prior to that. But it's ok - current technology allows us up to a full 6 months of warning of an object likely to hit us, so that should be ok. Oh.

You're not factoring in Bruce Willis though. Those Asteroids don't stand a chance.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A decade-long, 4.5 BILLION km journey to land on a comet travelling at about 34,000 mph.....incredible achievement.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Amazing achievement, I really hope they get some good data. Next stop Europa ?

Can't believe you've all fallen for this. Look at the shadows, it's fake.

You must live in the most incredibly boring universe. Everything is fake in your world isn't it? I can only hope you never catch a dose of the clap because no doubt you'll argue the antibiotics that would save your life are fake and will refuse to take them.

Or more likely you'll be a MASSIVE ****ing hypocrite and accept science when it helps you survive and fits into your warped mindset. Just a guess on my part though.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You must live in the most incredibly boring universe. Everything is fake in your world isn't it? I can only hope you never catch a dose of the clap because no doubt you'll argue the antibiotics that would save your life are fake and will refuse to take them.

Or more likely you'll be a MASSIVE ****ing hypocrite and accept science when it helps you survive and fits into your warped mindset. Just a guess on my part though.

Whoooooosh.....was that a comet?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Last I heard the harpoons had failed and it might be slipping about. There was talk of them trying again, any update?
Also, the thrusters that hold it down while the harpoons are fired are no longer working. Could be a major balls up if they don't get these harpoons in.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Also, the thrusters that hold it down while the harpoons are fired are no longer working. Could be a major balls up if they don't get these harpoons in.

Sounds like it has been smashed up. The comet isn't just travelling over 40,000 mph, it's also tumbling, so I reckon that if they have missed anchoring on the first attempt there won’t be a second opportunity.

The other scenario is that if it is sitting loosely on the comet, firing the harpoons could effectively eject the lander back off into space.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
They were being a bit vague in that final briefing! Given that they are getting data (apparently) I guess the best case scenario is that the lander is sitting in soft material and will stay there, and the worst case is that it is slowly drifting away from the comet.

Hopefully we'll get more information and pictures tomorrow!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"We're 500 million km from earth, and touchdown is two minutes late. Buses aren't that reliable." - European Space Agency scientist upon touchdown. Classic.

My train to work is often later than that and it only has to come from Seaford. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here