Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst standard of football at this level ever

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
No this isn't another Sami out thread just a post to clarify that the championship is now IMO a very poor standard, that was a shocking spectacle once again today, we're so poor and boring to watch but have just taken 4 points from Wigan & Blackburn who've looked just as poor as us, never felt so bored watching football as on Tuesday night and today
Please don't bring up Gillingham or WITHDEAN This was worse than having my teeth pulled out today

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Tedious and dreary are the words I'd use to describe the game.
I cant believe that professional footballers don't look up before crossing the ball my p.e. teacher at primary school would've crucified us for some of the slapdash passing and crossing today. AND it was still an improvement on some of this seasons performances:facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No this isn't another Sami out thread just a post to clarify that the championship is now IMO a very poor standard, that was a shocking spectacle once again today, we're so poor and boring to watch but have just taken 4 points from Wigan & Blackburn who've looked just as poor as us, never felt so bored watching football as on Tuesday night and today
Please don't bring up Gillingham or WITHDEAN This was worse than having my teeth pulled out today

Sums the current situation up quite well. We are not getting any better as the season progresses.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Tosh. The fitness and skill levels today would run rings around, for example, Pat Saward's team from 72-73.

PG

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Completely with you on this one.

We've been shite this season.

A few bad signings, wrong choice manager plus losing key players is what's cost us the chance of the Play-Offs this season and contributed to the dull and lacklustre performances.

Maybe January will change things for the better.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Its worse than last year , when at least we used to win a few matches at home , only 2 home wins so far this season , i cannot believe how far we have gone back , its really a shame ,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tosh. The fitness and skill levels today would run rings around, for example, Pat Saward's team from 72-73.

PG

THIS!

Someone fairly recently posted about 6 mins of that game against Ipswich in 91 when we got in the playoffs and Christ, it was terrible. Just in that 6 minutes the ball is given away like a cross between a baked potato throwing contest and ping pong and the players are visibly blowing up. The fitness and technique among the forwards and midfielders is the best I have ever seen. The defenders, meanwhile, have to defend in an era of football where proper defensive coaches no longer exist (see the Gary Neville column in The Telegraph that was posted on here) and a yellow card is given out for sneezing.

Norman "bites yer legs" Hunter would last 10 minutes in this era before he was subbed or sent off. I genuinely think even players like Keegan, Dalgleish, Brian Robson, Peter Ward or Nobby Horton would struggle.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I rather enjoyed the game today. Two well matched sides. It could have gone either way. Some of that Wigan side won the FA cup eighteen months ago. Others played in the world cup in the summer. Blackburn could afford to leave £7m worth of striker on the bench. Hardly a bad side.

Its worse than last year , when at least we used to win a few matches at home , only 2 home wins so far this season , i cannot believe how far we have gone back , its really a shame ,

agree...gone back with a huge bump I am afraid the season is a write off in 1st week of november with a long winter ahead crowds dropping like a stone and a general apathy around and what is so annoying is it doesnt look like its going to get any better as the manager is making as many mistakes as the players!!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The standard is no worse and no better. With Premier League millions at stake caution seems to be the standard in this division.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
A weird thing has happened to football fans in the last 10 years. It used to be that it was only the Sky sports armchair mob who went on about quality football, because anyone who goes to football regularly must surely understand that a good proportion of it is fairly depressing stuff. Some of my best Albion supporting days were the first Adams tenure, when scrappy 1-0 wins were the ordinary, but no one seemed to mind. I've always tried to leave the arguments about quality of game to the kind of fan who sits at home and doesn't actually sit in the cold and watch. And I believe that if you are going to football week in week out expecting quality football then you're going to be disappointed - if you can't be excited by points, moments, a bit of drama, and a bit of gallows humour, then I can't understand how you would last more than a few games. We've only had one manager in my time who has played what most people would term good football, and even then we were shit for long periods!

As for today's game - was quite enjoyable. As others have said, either team could have won, and it's that kind of knife edge that makes most footballing spectacle - the lie that 92 professional clubs are suddenly going to be playing like Barcelona is a media inspired fantasy.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
THIS!

Someone fairly recently posted about 6 mins of that game against Ipswich in 91 when we got in the playoffs and Christ, it was terrible. Just in that 6 minutes the ball is given away like a cross between a baked potato throwing contest and ping pong and the players are visibly blowing up. The fitness and technique among the forwards and midfielders is the best I have ever seen. The defenders, meanwhile, have to defend in an era of football where proper defensive coaches no longer exist (see the Gary Neville column in The Telegraph that was posted on here) and a yellow card is given out for sneezing.

Norman "bites yer legs" Hunter would last 10 minutes in this era before he was subbed or sent off. I genuinely think even players like Keegan, Dalgleish, Bryan Robson, Peter Ward or Nobby Horton would struggle.

Agree, except on that one.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
A weird thing has happened to football fans in the last 10 years. It used to be that it was only the Sky sports armchair mob who went on about quality football, because anyone who goes to football regularly must surely understand that a good proportion of it is fairly depressing stuff. Some of my best Albion supporting days were the first Adams tenure, when scrappy 1-0 wins were the ordinary, but no one seemed to mind. I've always tried to leave the arguments about quality of game to the kind of fan who sits at home and doesn't actually sit in the cold and watch. And I believe that if you are going to football week in week out expecting quality football then you're going to be disappointed - if you can't be excited by points, moments, a bit of drama, and a bit of gallows humour, then I can't understand how you would last more than a few games. We've only had one manager in my time who has played what most people would term good football, and even then we were shit for long periods!

As for today's game - was quite enjoyable. As others have said, either team could have won, and it's that kind of knife edge that makes most footballing spectacle - the lie that 92 professional clubs are suddenly going to be playing like Barcelona is a media inspired fantasy.

yes...that weird thing is the internet which leaves every single fan an opportunity to have their opinion aired in front of thousands of others , twenty years ago if you had a mate who stayed indoors watching ceefax for the latest developments you would think he was somewhat "touched" ....now the game is available at the flick of a switch..!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The football we are playing is boring the pants off me. It's not like other seasons when we were genuinely shit. It's just that we have it in our locker to be a good side, and for whatever reason the ball seems to be like an explosive mine to the Albion and we have to get rid ASAP or give it to the goalie. It's just boring. Nothing to get excited about. Had the chance at signing decent players and didn't, I feel like I'm being ripped off for the prices we pay vs what the club spend. FFP is a smokescreen for just being tight and then it seems we panic when we realise we don't have enough players and the spend shed loads on wages for players we don't even own. For the first time in 30 years I think I'm not going to renew my ST because while the club is being run as it is. I can't see how things will get better. Poyet has been proved correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here