Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes is was.View attachment 102991

It was a simple do you want to stay or leave the EU.

Its been said by many on here, brexiters and remainers don't know what they voted for.

Bottom line is we voted to leave, and leave we will.

If we have a second ballet, leave would win again by an even bigger margain. Most brexiters can't be bothered to listen to whingers who can't accept defeat. But if push comes to shove and we have to vote again (and not for one second do i think we will), Brexit would still be the verdict IMO

With respect, you're missing the point that you are responding to. We know that the question was a binary one between leave and stay. We know that Osborn and others exaggerated the immediate effect. But crucially we know (or we should) that the very basis of much Leave campaigning was a blizzard of fundamental untruths riding on the back of a febrile public mood. The impression was given that a clear vision of the leaving process and the ultimate destination was laid out in front of us, that the EU would agree to almost everything we wanted, that they needed us more than we needed them and that trade deals would be easy for 'Global Britain'.

A single official Leave campaign leaflet, on the table in front of me, distributed during the week of the referendum, claims that... food will be 17 per cent cheaper, the average family will be £200 a month better off, wages will rise and NHS waiting lists will get shorter. Remaining, we were told, would risk the EU taking over the British army and Turkey joining the EU (no veto apparently).

On the campaign trail, the famous £350m bus claim was made - Brexiteers don't like it being brought up but that was a claim, according to the director of the Leave campaign, that was (a) a lie and (b) sufficient to push Leave over the line.

If anyone should know, he would.

We're faced with uncertainty. Even the cabinet is divided - between those who want No Deal (Hunt etc), those who want a softer Norway deal (Gove etc), the single person happy with the May deal (May) and finally those who feel the decision should be put to the people (Hammond etc).

If that last group prevails it would be a very different referendum to the last one, held in different circumstances and with vastly more informed voters. Heaven knows, the past two and a half years provide evidence that the people haven't been ignored. Consulting them again would be an extension of democracy, not a demolition of it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
With respect, you're missing the point that you are responding to. We know that the question was a binary one between leave and stay. We know that Osborn and others exaggerated the immediate effect. But crucially we know (or we should) that the very basis of much Leave campaigning was a blizzard of fundamental untruths riding on the back of a febrile public mood. The impression was given that a clear vision of the leaving process and the ultimate destination was laid out in front of us, that the EU would agree to almost everything we wanted, that they needed us more than we needed them and that trade deals would be easy for 'Global Britain'.

A single official Leave campaign leaflet, on the table in front of me, distributed during the week of the referendum, claims that... food will be 17 per cent cheaper, the average family will be £200 a month better off, wages will rise and NHS waiting lists will get shorter. Remaining, we were told, would risk the EU taking over the British army and Turkey joining the EU (no veto apparently).

On the campaign trail, the famous £350m bus claim was made - Brexiteers don't like it being brought up but that was a claim, according to the director of the Leave campaign, that was (a) a lie and (b) sufficient to push Leave over the line.

We're faced with uncertainty. Even the cabinet is divided - between those who want No Deal (Hunt etc), those who want a softer Norway deal (Gove etc), the single person happy with the May deal (May) and finally those who feel the decision should be put to the people (Hammond etc).

If that last group prevails it would be a very different referendum to the last one, held in different circumstances and with vastly more informed voters. Heaven knows, the past two and a half years provide evidence that the people haven't been ignored. Consulting them again would be an extension of democracy, not a demolition of it.
Thanks. I couldn't be bothered to go into the detail on the assumption that he was smart enough to understand what I was saying. Clearly not.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Its been said by many on here, brexiters and remainers don't know what they voted for.

If we have a second ballet, leave would win again by an even bigger margain. Most brexiters can't be bothered to listen to whingers who can't accept defeat. But if push comes to shove and we have to vote again (and not for one second do i think we will), Brexit would still be the verdict IMO
You do understand the difference between a campaign and a ballot paper don't you?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, you've pulled me in as well.

What's about to happen that will turn us into a non-country? And what exactly is a non-country? Is it something like, say, Spain or France?

Eurasia. That is a non country- continent that included the UK from George Orwell.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The impression was given that a clear vision of the leaving process and the ultimate destination was laid out in front of us, that the EU would agree to almost everything we wanted, that they needed us more than we needed them and that trade deals would be easy for 'Global Britain'.
While I agree that there's no way of knowing what each leave voter wanted, and I can see an argument for a referendum with more detailed choices, it's disingenuous to pretend that voters believed what you've written.

So? People don't believe that, just as they didn't believe that leaving would mean WW3.

In any election where the result is close, you can claim that any one of the lies told by the winning side was responsible. Had remain won by a whisker, you could claim it was because they lied about the risk to our security.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

But that is the whole point....it asked do you want to leave, and there was nothing whatsoever that said what the implications be apart from £350m a week for the NHS.

Whatever lies people may say, I bet no one knew anything about the northern Irish border issue, the intricacies about how far our legal system was aligned with the EU , little things like flights or driving licenses, or travel visas, or United Kingdom citizens in Europe, or eu citizens in the uk. These are all very important and form part of the negotiations with trade and us paying our outstanding dues on contracts etc we have signed up to ...no wonder it is so complicated to negotiate when 26 other countries have their own interests to look after.

Due to the intransigence of both sides of the argument and the bile and hatred exhibited( even on here a football site) where not one person will see the other point of view, then I think this has shown,modern Britain as what it is. A decided nation and it will be like this for years to come...especially if this all turns out badly with a. No deal fiasco.

Jan 30, 2008
But that is the whole point....it asked do you want to leave, and there was nothing whatsoever that said what the implications be apart from £350m a week for the NHS.

Whatever lies people may say, I bet no one knew anything about the northern Irish border issue, the intricacies about how far our legal system was aligned with the EU , little things like flights or driving licenses, or travel visas, or United Kingdom citizens in Europe, or eu citizens in the uk. These are all very important and form part of the negotiations with trade and us paying our outstanding dues on contracts etc we have signed up to ...no wonder it is so complicated to negotiate when 26 other countries have their own interests to look after.

Due to the intransigence of both sides of the argument and the bile and hatred exhibited( even on here a football site) where not one person will see the other point of view, then I think this has shown,modern Britain as what it is. A decided nation and it will be like this for years to come...especially if this all turns out badly with a. No deal fiasco.

leave means leave , deal with it and stop grizzling
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7qZhlrbcB8
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7qZhlrbcB8
regards
DR

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
leave means leave , deal with it and stop grizzling
regards
DR

And you are exactly the problem. Shame you can't see it as that. Or perhaps you do and are just on one big wind up. Which of course is obvious to anyone's who reads this thread.

You must be very proud

Jan 30, 2008
And you are exactly the problem. Shame you can't see it as that. Or perhaps you do and are just on one big wind up. Which of course is obvious to anyone's who reads this thread.

You must be very proud
no one's on a wind up , what's not to be proud about , Blue passports still eating you up ?
regards
DR

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It’s pointless and a waste of time having a debate with you because

1) You are a by far the thickest person on this thread.
2) You make stuff up. Aside from your fantasy drinking club remember when you stated US beef is better than UK ...then bizarrely tried numerous times to suggest you meant Argentina?

Good day.

Every day closer to Brexit is a good day.I presume that means there aren't 10 EU countries with better employment rates,or 4 million youth employment places in the Reich?More fantasy EU propaganda.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't know why there was so much fuss about the delightful Herr Junker-he was just offering May a sample of a pre-issue beer he'd had for breakfast.And lunch.And dinner.

View attachment 103000

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here