Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Even if he did say Manc and not black

Jakeg

Feb 7, 2016
i recently heard racism during the Leicester game, I reported it at the end of the match to a steward he appeared to do nothing about it as the person was still sat in thier seat during the palace game. If anyone has a contact of someone I could report it to it would be greatly appreciated I’ve had a look on the club website but could not find any information.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A bit has been mentioned about the Spurs Arsenal game the other weekend when the banana skin was thrown at the African Arsenal striker.
There seems a general feeling by fans of both sides that it was thrown as just the nearest piece of rubbish available to hand, (a bit like a pie), and if it had happened to be an orange skin or apple core none of this outrage would've happened, ( a disastrous day for football I think UEFA called it).
Imagine just throwing a bit of rubbish onto the pitch out of frustration and being branded a racist for life!!

Rough justice if so. Racism along with Rape are two crimes that seem to condemn the accused regardless of the verdict.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
i recently heard racism during the Leicester game, I reported it at the end of the match to a steward he appeared to do nothing about it as the person was still sat in thier seat during the palace game. If anyone has a contact of someone I could report it to it would be greatly appreciated I’ve had a look on the club website but could not find any information.

I suspect club are monitoring because really, you could just be making this up and or being deliberately malicious towards someone. This is why it’s so frustrating in today’s outrage society that people simply believe what’s been said without questioning. There’s less filtering if any by eg journalists. Instead stuff gets pinged around at face value and before long a mob has burned the witch before anyone’s stopped to think isn’t she just an old lady. Anyway, getting slightly off topic. Point is club would need to monitor unless of course multiple independent persons said same and even then...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I find this thread extremely depressing.

My original post was only trying to find out if it was ok to call someone a f****** c*** at a game of football.

Sadly it seems the majority think it is.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t think so. People are expressing opinions, trying to make you understand it’s not as straight forward as you’re perhaps seeing things. Even so, NSC isn’t really the place to come if you’re simply looking for I’m right / they’re wrong validation - never has been. But I don’t think anyone’s condoning that behaviour, more offering an explaination for it. Different things.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There are videos of the incident not just photos, which give an indication that the incident is more than a Sunday school outing

There’s no way you ever went to Sunday school! ???g

Jakeg

Feb 7, 2016
I suspect club are monitoring because really, you could just be making this up and or being deliberately malicious towards someone. This is why it’s so frustrating in today’s outrage society that people simply believe what’s been said without questioning. There’s less filtering if any by eg journalists. Instead stuff gets pinged around at face value and before long a mob has burned the witch before anyone’s stopped to think isn’t she just an old lady. Anyway, getting slightly off topic. Point is club would need to monitor unless of course multiple independent persons said same and even then...

I understand what your saying, and I hope the club are keeping tabs, I’m sure others heard it as a few people Infront turned around to look but I guess no one else reported it...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I understand what your saying, and I hope the club are keeping tabs, I’m sure others heard it as a few people Infront turned around to look but I guess no one else reported it...

Meant to add well done for taking action and doing something :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Jay Rodriguez seems very happy with himself, completely nonplussed. Are there cases of innocents accused of racism, who’s lives have been destroyed?

You say that but a fair percentage of Brighton fans will probably always think he’s racist because of tribal nature of football, just as West Brom fans (and Burnley) will turn against GB despite nothing proven or disproven. But he’s also an idolised footballer with a lot of money and, frankly, footballers appear to be untouchable providing they’re playing well because money talks in terms of best lawyers, powerful businesses protecting their assets, a fan base willing to believe them rather than the accuser etc. Think Ronaldo and the accusations being made against him. Be very different if he were, say, a teacher accused of something like...? We treat celebrities differently, I was alluding more to lesser mortals like us :)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You say that but a fair percentage of Brighton fans will probably always think he’s racist because of tribal nature of football, just as West Brom fans (and Burnley) will turn against GB despite nothing proven or disproven. But he’s also an idolised footballer with a lot of money and, frankly, footballers appear to be untouchable providing they’re playing well because money talks in terms of best lawyers, powerful businesses protecting their assets, a fan base willing to believe them rather than the accuser etc. Think Ronaldo and the accusations being made against him. Be very different if he were, say, a teacher accused of something like...? We treat celebrities differently, I was alluding more to lesser mortals like us :)

I don’t know of cases of false racism allegations. I know what you mean about rape - those victim of false allegation pay a heavy price, despite their innocence.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

The club have a hotline number to report stuff like that.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

My original post was only trying to find out if it was ok to call someone a f****** c*** at a game of football.

As I said in my earlier post, context is everything.

In the family stand at the Amex, where I often reside, it's wrong on a whole number of levels.

In the away end, in London games, in a controversial game, in a late kick off and where everyone is well oiled. What are you expecting?

Again, I'm not condoning racist abuse. That should be called out and not tolerated no matter what. Calling Wilf the c word when circumstances dictate? Absolutely. Again, I'm not advocating the c word when the lino calls a throw in wrong on the halfway line or persistent and constant use of it. Just that every now and then football elicits an emotional response which most sane people don't do when the wife asks you to put the bin out. If football doesn't affect your emotional state, why are you watching?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm confused, the guy is saying he has lost his job because of it but I don't see how he could have?

You don't have to break the law to lose your job. To be honest if I was seen on camera just looking or acting like that and my employers name got in the press, I'd probably be in HR in the morning.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As I said in my earlier post, context is everything.

In the family stand at the Amex, where I often reside, it's wrong on a whole number of levels.

In the away end, in London games, in a controversial game, in a late kick off and where everyone is well oiled. What are you expecting?

Again, I'm not condoning racist abuse. That should be called out and not tolerated no matter what. Calling Wilf the c word when circumstances dictate? Absolutely. Again, I'm not advocating the c word when the lino calls a throw in wrong on the halfway line or persistent and constant use of it. Just that every now and then football elicits an emotional response which most sane people don't do when the wife asks you to put the bin out. If football doesn't affect your emotional state, why are you watching?

So to my original post.

It’s the word black that makes all the difference here?

I get highly emotional watching football. It doesn’t mean I have to behave like that Chelsea fan regardless of whether he said black or Manc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Up until last season I sat by one of our corner flags and frequently "abused" the other team's corner takers. It was never racist, homophobic or particularly vile... but I absolutely made sure that they could hear me and that they were aware that I thought their ball skills were below par. The steward who sat in the corner chastised me a few times but I don't think that either of us ever thought that it justified an ejection or a ban... it was never to the level of those Chelski fans (nor was it ever really personal, just at attempt to put them off their game a little, and for Helder Costa, in one game, I can say it worked!)

I'm not sure whether I am much better than the Chelsea fans though... I never got red-faced, bile-rising, hate-filled about the opposition as they appear to have done, but I did a similar thing. Not sure whether it crossed a line or not.

I think that there is some considerable difference between being emotional and being out of control and the latter generally results in your true-self being revealed. However, had any of a number of opposition players misheard or chose to misrepresent what they heard then I suspect that I would have been in trouble. Not sure if a lipreading expert could mistake... "Costa, Costa, Costa... [he glances back] ... You're sh!t." for something racist but I may have been in big trouble.

Really not sure whether... other than a discriminatory element (which is always unacceptable)... that shouting at an opposing player to put them off their game is acceptable or not. Really fine line for me.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Really not sure whether... other than a discriminatory element (which is always unacceptable)... that shouting at an opposing player to put them off their game is acceptable or not. Really fine line for me.

Not acceptable. Apart from Scott McGleish of course.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Especially if it is Zaha. I gave him dogs abuse the other night including (most probably) "****ing ****". The line has to be drawn though and anybody shouting "****ing <insert colour / race here> **** should never be allowed to set foot inside a ground again.

I don't hate Zaha because of his colour / race. I hate him because he is an attention seeking whining cheat.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Up until last season I sat by one of our corner flags and frequently "abused" the other team's corner takers. It was never racist, homophobic or particularly vile... but I absolutely made sure that they could hear me and that they were aware that I thought their ball skills were below par. The steward who sat in the corner chastised me a few times but I don't think that either of us ever thought that it justified an ejection or a ban... it was never to the level of those Chelski fans (nor was it ever really personal, just at attempt to put them off their game a little, and for Helder Costa, in one game, I can say it worked!)

I'm not sure whether I am much better than the Chelsea fans though... I never got red-faced, bile-rising, hate-filled about the opposition as they appear to have done, but I did a similar thing. Not sure whether it crossed a line or not.

I think that there is some considerable difference between being emotional and being out of control and the latter generally results in your true-self being revealed. However, had any of a number of opposition players misheard or chose to misrepresent what they heard then I suspect that I would have been in trouble. Not sure if a lipreading expert could mistake... "Costa, Costa, Costa... [he glances back] ... You're sh!t." for something racist but I may have been in big trouble.

And that's absolutely fine. Look at how we got at Zaha last week. He couldn't take the stick and it significantly impaired his ability to have any influence on the game.

It's all good!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So to my original post.

It’s the word black that makes all the difference here?

I get highly emotional watching football. It doesn’t mean I have to behave like that Chelsea fan regardless of whether he said black or Manc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sterling and Zaha can choose to be obnoxious, whingers, cheats, and therefore sworn at by fans. They can choose their clubs. They cannot choose their skin colour or parents.

That's why black is the issue.

Wing can complain all he likes but he believes racism isn't illegal when it most definitely is.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/raheem-sterling-abuser-colin-wing-13720192

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

There's a microphone stationed by the North East corner, so comments can be heard, and probably recorded.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here