Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "free kick" inside the box

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Never witnessed that before unless it's been a deliberate back pass to the keeper.

Can anyone explain why it wasn't a penalty?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Never witnessed that before unless it's been a deliberate back pass to the keeper.

Can anyone explain why it wasn't a penalty?

Wasn't deemed as serious infringement I presume.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Except ... Hughton says there was contact and Knockaert bled as a result.

Which is why it should of been a penalty. Without contact indirect free kick. On the comentry I watched the ref and linesman told 4th official he couldn't be sure of the contact so gave the indirect free kick

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Watched it several times on replay from the feed I was watching, no contact was made. Stuart Pearce, joint commentating, said that word from the touchline was 'as the ref was unsure whether contact was actually made he gave an indirect free kick for dangerous play' 'If he was sure contact had been made it would have been a penalty'.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Except ... Hughton says there was contact and Knockaert bled as a result.

I'll rephrase - because the referee judged that there wasn't contact, it was an indirect free kick. I was responding to the rules of the game aspect, not the specific incident. The referee upheld the correct rule under his opinion of the incident.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Watched it several times on replay from the feed I was watching, no contact was made. Stuart Pearce, joint commentating, said that word from the touchline was 'as the ref was unsure whether contact was actually made he gave an indirect free kick for dangerous play' 'If he was sure contact had been made it would have been a penalty'.

https://twitter.com/BBCSussexSport/status/901480678793117696

[tweet]901480678793117696[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorArgus/status/901479952318595074

[tweet]901479952318595074[/tweet]

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just goes to show that even when you play well, sometimes you need a bit of luck too!

We also need a decent referee performance. We do seem to be suffering maybe its because we are the new boys but it seems every 50 50 decision goes against us. On more than one occasion today two identical incidents within seconds of each resulted in play on for Watford then free kick for Watford.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We also need a decent referee performance. We do seem to be suffering maybe its because we are the new boys but it seems every 50 50 decision goes against us. On more than one occasion today two identical incidents within seconds of each resulted in play on for Watford then free kick for Watford.

Yes. File under 'A little bit of luck.'

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here