Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Close season signings- who is on Chris Hughton's (realistic) wishlist?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Balogun plays central defence, as well as both fullback positions.

I actually doubt we'll sign 2 further fullbacks - just anticipating 1 more this summer.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. Two full backs, two centre midfielders, one striker - Minimum.

Think we will break our transfer record again for a CM, particularly if we can get Andone on the cheap.

:thumbsup:

If the new fullbacks, DM and striker, are as good as Bruno and Murray (but with youth on their side), and Stephens, I'd be very confident of CH keeping us with some ease. The AM I envisage would have pace to break in CH's counter attacking game and he can finish.

It's an aspirational list. I recognise that the transfer market is rife with gazumping and scheming agents,

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Balogun plays central defence, as well as both fullback positions.

I actually doubt we'll sign 2 further fullbacks - just anticipating 1 more this summer.

So which foot is he or is he comfortable with both ?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
:thumbsup:

If the new fullbacks, DM and striker, are as good as Bruno and Murray (but with youth on their side), and Stephens, I'd be very confident of CH keeping us with some ease. The AM I envisage would have pace to break in CH's counter attacking game and he can finish.

It's an aspirational list. I recognise that the transfer market is rife with gazumping and scheming agents,

The AM could be Propper, and we could sign 2x Defensive midfielders, one for big money and one as cover.

Would give us greater flexibility, we could rotate Gross/Propper in that role and have New Signing/Propper/Stephens sitting behind. Kayal + New signing as cover.

I think it was Chris's original plan to have two defensively minded midfielders (much to the dismay I'm sure of the many ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK fans). Delaney and Neto are both made that way. It would be interesting to know if the intent was to sign Propper in addition, had we captured one of those two.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
James Maddison, ticks a number of boxes IMO. (Home grown )

A source I would normally trust who has a Norwich connection told me earlier this month that Brighton had put in an official bid for Maddison.

I've not mentioned it previously because I don't normally comment on rumour threads, and it's all gone quiet ever since so maybe it wasn't true ... but maybe we're still in negotiation? (The bid figure mentioned to me did seem a little on the low side so I doubt Norwich would have accepted it and maybe we're still talking?)

I think I'd like this rumour to be true, I rate Maddison as one to watch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The AM could be Propper, and we could sign 2x Defensive midfielders, one for big money and one as cover.

Would give us greater flexibility, we could rotate Gross/Propper in that role and have New Signing/Propper/Stephens sitting behind. Kayal + New signing as cover.

I think it was Chris's original plan to have two defensively minded midfielders (much to the dismay I'm sure of the many ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK fans). Delaney and Neto are both made that way. It would be interesting to know if the intent was to sign Propper in addition, had we captured one of those two.

I'm fine with PL managers/formations where 2 predominately defensive minded CM's sit in front of the front 4. That gives safety, and allows more attacking freedom to the 4 other players outwide/up front/AM.

Chelsea and Leicester played this way in their most successful recent seasons.

I'd trust CH with that and wouldn't care that some Amex whingers "Can't believe that CH has played 2 DM's".

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A source I would normally trust who has a Norwich connection told me earlier this month that Brighton had put in an official bid for Maddison.

I've not mentioned it previously because I don't normally comment on rumour threads, and it's all gone quiet ever since so maybe it wasn't true ... but maybe we're still in negotiation? (The bid figure mentioned to me did seem a little on the low side so I doubt Norwich would have accepted it and maybe we're still talking?)

I think I'd like this rumour to be true, I rate Maddison as one to watch.

The usual buying suspects of Spurs, West Ham and Everton get mentioned. Making his fee and wages astronomical.

It wouldn't surprise me therefore if the Albion look overseas again.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I still want Delaney, the Propper can be an alternative to Gross If reqd.

Lets get Andone and Delaney done soon

waiting for the classic twitter announcement in next couple of days of Andone as expected has signed. I would hope we push boat out for Delaney and look at Powell as the Homegrown attacking alternative No10.
Need another pacy winger as well so lots to do..

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
One of the signings could surely be another U21 loan from Chelsea again - which doesn't rule out a return for Brown ( NSC cheers loudly ), ' Tap in' Tammy ( unless we have to bung him a million ), Tomori, or Mason Mount ( as the attacking midfielder ) - all still U21.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Mason Mount would be a good shout, however is getting a fair amount of attention, especially as he is training with the England team and id imagine Chelsea be looking for him to get guaranteed games

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Mason Mount would be a good shout, however is getting a fair amount of attention, especially as he is training with the England team and id imagine Chelsea be looking for him to get guaranteed games

I think Mount would be a fabulous loan if we could secure him. A few weeks ago I'd say we might be in with a shout, but his surge in form at Vitesse in the last few weeks, plus Southgate mentioning him by name and including him in training has probably made it a lot harder. Assuming Chelsea are even interested in loaning him out again, there will be plenty of interest now and it will come down to money as much as player development.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here