Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CH interview in the Guardian

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good to see the issue raised and I hope the number of BAME managers slowly grows like it has in other coaching positions. That said managers get the sack 99.9% of the time for footballing reasons I'm sure and not racism.

Nice to see CH leading the way again like he did in the 70s and 80s with Ireland and Spurs etc.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Good article that, but doesn't know the words to common people by Pulp.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
It was a good read actually.

Not sure about black manager inequality in football. Half of the Prem is filled with foreign managers. I don’t remember Ruud Gullit managing Chelsea being anything other than normal but not all players can make the step into management. There have been many black managers who just aren’t good managers just like bad white managers. Or take Chris Powell who did good things at Charlton, he didn’t get sacked for his colour, it was the owners who owned another club and brought their own manager over.

Football managment is a cut throat business and no managers job is safe. What happened at Birmingham with Gary Rowett is just football. If he was black would we think it happened because of his colour. Hughton didn’t lose his job at Newcastle and Norwich because of colour.

Football management is a tough career for everyone and Nathan Jones is a great example of how hard you need to work if this is the path one chooses. I am not sure that the average good footballer, no matter their colour can make the jump into management. Certainly not the Kemy’s and Leon Best’s of the football world because money for these types just spoils them into being lazy piss takers.

Hughton has got where he is today purely because of all the hard work he has put in, and Rosenior is the type who will have a future in management because he will actually go and get his coaching qualifications and will earn his trust at a club in the future. Coaching and assistant managing is still a very good achievement in this game. Do all spoilt with money players want to work hard? No, if we look at Shearer wanting to manage England only to find out he hasn’t bothered to earn his coaching badges.

Hughton has an impeccable track record in the football game that can be traced back forty years, that’s why he got the job here, and that’s why the time is right for him and us. He is an inspiration for black managers but with the lesson to work hard and be of good integrity.

Largely agree with the comments here. There is undoubtedly racism in football just as there is in most walks of life. CH proves that a combination of hard work and talent will overcome any inherent racism.

Also its also worth noting that even with CH at the managerial helm, I don't think we have any other black coaching staff or board members at BHA.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Largely agree with the comments here. There is undoubtedly racism in football just as there is in most walks of life. CH proves that a combination of hard work and talent will overcome any inherent racism.

Also its also worth noting that even with CH at the managerial helm, I don't think we have any other black coaching staff or board members at BHA.

George Parris with the women's team....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interesting piece from a sensible newspaper, although I don't think the Albion has ever been bankrupt.

This has been mentioned in a few articles recently. I just wonder if it is laziness in that one journalist states it and the others follow without checking the facts. Yes hours away from going bust but never declared bankrupt as far as I'm aware.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Against the grain but I gave up with it. Paragraph after paragraph about the lack of Black managers and little to no mention about the Albion. CH didn't get the Albion job because he was black, he got the job because he was a good manager (Actually, he is brilliant)

Given that most PL clubs are owned by foreign owners who value the ability to stay in the PL above anything and have teams comprised of multiple nationalities does anyone really believe that nationality or colour of skin comes into the decision making process when appointing a manager?

Let's take Dwight Yorke as an example. He was on Talksport complaining he didn't get an interview for the villa job before admitting he was 'finking' about his coaching badges and that he applied for the job by text message. God only knows why serial promoted manager Steve Bruce got the job. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy. There can be an obvious explanation.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
New song?

Chris Hughton has a thirst for knowledge,
He studied Corporate Governance at an unnamed college

That's where I, ate piglets pie

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Decent, honest and truthful manager finally hooked up with decent, honest and truthful chairman. I can honestly see him being here longer than Wenger at Arsenal. Seriously can't envisage a scenario whereby TB is moved to replace CH with Colin Wanker or Dancing Alan or any of the other usual serial loser suspects.

Your rather new to football then aren't you ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Paul Nevin

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Hope the players put in a shift today and give him the Chamiopship title, as he deserves it.
I think that failing to do this would be a real pity as the Geordies will fight to the final whistle, would be nice to put it to bed.
Midnight kick off here, playing a gig tonight but should get back for the second half.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting piece from a sensible newspaper, although I don't think the Albion has ever been bankrupt.

Beat me to it. Becoming an annoying incorrect assumption.

On the subject of whether black managers are really discriminated against, well, the percentage of BAME players compared to those who go on into management just don't stack up.

Sure, most appointments probably are made for purely football reasons, often based on the applicants' experience, but that's Catch 22. How does a wide enough body of BAME managers build up if they never get a chance in the first place?

Leroy Rosenior made a very good point about the Rooney rule. If clubs are compelled to consider more BAME candidates, they may not get the manager's job straight off but still get the opportunity to make a good impression and may land other roles within the club. Over time

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When did we go bankrupt? Fake news.

How many other parts of the article are made up, badly resaearched or misquoted?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Against the grain but I gave up with it. Paragraph after paragraph about the lack of Black managers and little to no mention about the Albion. CH didn't get the Albion job because he was black, he got the job because he was a good manager (Actually, he is brilliant)

Given that most PL clubs are owned by foreign owners who value the ability to stay in the PL above anything and have teams comprised of multiple nationalities does anyone really believe that nationality or colour of skin comes into the decision making process when appointing a manager?

Let's take Dwight Yorke as an example. He was on Talksport complaining he didn't get an interview for the villa job before admitting he was 'finking' about his coaching badges and that he applied for the job by text message. God only knows why serial promoted manager Steve Bruce got the job. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy. There can be an obvious explanation.

Part of it is the tendency of foreign owners to bring in foreign managers and that generally means from Italy, Spain or other European countries where BAME coaches are even scarcer than they are here. Famous black ex-players are different, though (Gullit, Rijkaard etc) and it's only a matter of time before Patrick Vieira comes back over here from New York City FC.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm a bit 'Albioned out' in terms of articles on us, but that is a fantastic, insightful and inspirational read. Hughton, what an example to us all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting interview. As he's a thinker and seems well educated it's obvious why he chose someone like Pat Nevin to be on his coaching staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here