Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EFL Cup - Colchester (H)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
You say that about Elvis, but on a couple of occasions he was able to run at the full backs he roasted them for pace. I saw something of the potential he came here with tonight.

And I'm not sure what happened, but Kaz went from predictable and poor to impressive and unstoppable in the middle of the 2nd half.

Norwood looked tidy, good tackler and passer.

The back 4 looked assured and in control.

Overall a very good 2nd half following a poor 1st.

Virtually word for word what I was about to say.

Hopefully we go on a run and Manu can force himself in. Still had a few problems staying onside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ben White sounded like he did well at centre back. If he could step up and be the 4th CB it would mean more in the pot to sort Stephens the contract he believes he deserves and perhaps a couple of bob extra to throw at a new number 10. That said Colchester United reserves are slightly different to Championship players.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ben White sounded like he did well at centre back. If he could step up and be the 4th CB it would mean more in the pot to sort Stephens the contract he believes he deserves and perhaps a couple of bob extra to throw at a new number 10. That said Colchester United reserves are slightly different to Championship players.

He was very composed and comfortable on the ball but, as you say, he wasn't up against Championship forwards. Colchester didn't offer much in attack tonight. Still, he looks like a good prospect.

Adekugbe looked decent too. He just needed to be a bit more confident in the final 3rd.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Decent display from the stiffs. LuaLua again showed what a frustrating player he is. Looked class against a weak and tiring opposition in the second half.

Manu looked the best I have seen it, again hard to telling that was the opposition.

Norwood was decent too. The left back Canadian also looks great.

Solid elsewhere.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I enjoyed that. The back 4 looked solid, although there weren't any aerial threats. The Canadian LB looks very good. I thought Manu played better than Baldock this evening, and Murphy deserved his two goals as he'd put a decent shift in the first half, which all came to nothing. Once we'd scored one, there was no doubt we were going to score more. Our midfield was completely in control.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You say that about Elvis, but on a couple of occasions he was able to run at the full backs he roasted them for pace. I saw something of the potential he came here with tonight.

And I'm not sure what happened, but Kaz went from predictable and poor to impressive and unstoppable in the middle of the 2nd half.

Spot on. Nice evening out in the end. Lager was cold and the tasty chicken pie was hot, travelling was the easiest ever. Happy days, roll on Friday.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good performance. Manu, white, lua lua and Murphy all good. Lua lua almost playing behind striker second half.

Baldocks and murphys second good goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish I had gone, but I expect I would still be on my way home.

If I knew Lualua would be playing the striker, I would like to see this. I think his skills is most suitable for this as I have said before lots of times. This to me would be an answer to our second striker deficiency.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We looked totally in control against the worst team I have seen at the AMEX.

I thought White looked composed at Centre Half however, Ince struggled with balls over the top and certainaly shouldnt been seen as a long term solution. I would however like to see Dunk and White partnared together in future rounds.

Hunt and the Canadian Left back both looked comfortable. However both lacked im a delivery into the box.

Holla and Norwood were fully in control of the Midfield. IF Stephans stays Norwood will be challanging him for that spot. However seemed a little shy infron of goal.

Kaz and Murphy looked sharp and both could easily step in Friday if needed. Murphys first goal was from a brillinant pass by Kaz followed by a great finish and his second was the goal of the night for me.

Baldock and Manu both did well, Baldock took his goal well and will continue to play his role this season. However dont believe the hype about Manu, yes he played well well however this was against a very poor team. But take the positives. Hopefully we stay in the competetion and him and other fringe players get chance to shine on a competitive level.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Also I was sat fairly near Mr Bloom and cetainly looked to be speaking to a young man after the game. Both Barber and Bloom went over and said bye before Bloom had a longer chat which carried on after I left my seat.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Very enjoyable evening. I must have misread travel info as I thought there was a shuttle bus from Lewes for tonight's game, jumped in a taxi instead. Lua Lua was very good second half, Baldock played well and Manu made some intelligent runs first half. Ince looked solid and Norwood kept things ticking over in the middle. Murphy took his goals well.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I've noticed this before especially with Lualua. It is why that it is better that he starts the game (applies to all wingers) as they try ways to beat the defenders and work out which is the best way. Requires a bit of trial and error. Defender is doing the same, of course. It can be seen as a battle of wits sometimes. Very notable when Lualua faced Elmohamady of Hull. Both of the fought out their own private battle.

It can work the other way as well. Lookman had the beating of Bruno until Bruno worked out what to do. With a pacy winger it is harder for the full back. Note that Buckley often faded when the defender worked out how to deal with him, or more than likely the midfield stopped the supply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here