Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our new Prime Minister Theresa May, and her cabinet...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
May's heart was always with Leave. Ask any of her constituency workers. She was, by a very long way, the last leading politician to pin her colours to the mast. If my memory serves me right it was in the week leading up the vote. It appeared that she was reluctant to go public and was eventually pressed into declaring her hand. She was clearly waiting as long as possible to catch the mood before committing. The general concensus immediately prior to the polls closing, was that Remain would win but probably by a narrow margin. She didn't vote with her heart. She made a judgement call.
There was a lot of surprise amongst her grass-roots supporters in South Berkshire when she declared her support for Remain. Its no surprise now that she is stating the Brexit case so firmly. Politicians rarely vote with their hearts. Its a fact of parliamentary life.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Who a decade later stepped down for Eden, who stepped down for MacMillan, followed by Douglas-Home.

I think the constitution should be taught in schools as part of history.

So do I.
Judging from the mentality of some of our nation being interviewed out in the streets, a modicum of basic education would be a start. Up to a few years ago, you could hold a sensible conversation with pretty much anybody in this country, on a reasonably wide range of subjects. But try that now with the knuckle dragging, illiterate, tattooed, vicious dog on a chain types that personify our huge social underclass and you won't get past base camp one.
What the hell has happened out there? Its truly frightening how much ignorance there is out there. The system has failed these people. The dumbing down of the education system to satisfy political ego is a crime worthy of ranking right up there in the stratosphere of dereliction of public duty, alongside unjustified decisions to go to war and open-door immigration policies to suit political agendas.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So do I.
Judging from the mentality of some of our nation being interviewed out in the streets, a modicum of basic education would be a start. Up to a few years ago, you could hold a sensible conversation with pretty much anybody in this country, on a reasonably wide range of subjects. But try that now with the knuckle dragging, illiterate, tattooed, vicious dog on a chain types that personify our huge social underclass and you won't get past base camp one.
What the hell has happened out there? Its truly frightening how much ignorance there is out there. The system has failed these people. The dumbing down of the education system to satisfy political ego is a crime worthy of ranking right up there in the stratosphere of dereliction of public duty, alongside unjustified decisions to go to war and open-door immigration policies to suit political agendas.

Whilst there clearly is some truth to what you are saying, don't you feel that it is just that shade exaggerated?!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I havent read all the thread, so apologies if this has been said.
In the last 100 years we have had (or will by Wednesday evening) 24 Prime Ministers, of which 12 will have "inherrited " the job. So its not even a case of it being an unusual way of getting the top job. As has been said many times, especially after the referendum, the lack of knowledge on our constituition is very worrying, a complete failure of the education system, going back decades. I can not remember and specific lessons on our political syatem at any point , other than very general outlines during elections.

jonesalice34

Jul 7, 2016
Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square. (Oscar Wilde.The Importance of Being Earnest)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I havent read all the thread, so apologies if this has been said.
In the last 100 years we have had (or will by Wednesday evening) 24 Prime Ministers, of which 12 will have "inherrited " the job. So its not even a case of it being an unusual way of getting the top job. As has been said many times, especially after the referendum, the lack of knowledge on our constituition is very worrying, a complete failure of the education system, going back decades. I can not remember and specific lessons on our political syatem at any point , other than very general outlines during elections.

You've made the point better than I. I did take Political History for O level, so remember some of the rules, but guess it comes from experiencing the changes for myself.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
She needs to sort her barnet out as or it'll be hard to tell them apart.

Merkel-and-May-300x187.jpg

:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No problem. She organises Brexit. Come the 2020 GE, and the EU won't let us (or Scotland) back in anyway, so we vote in a Labour government that has sorted itself out and it sorts out all these tax avoiders. The futures bright.........................

by leaving the EU we remove one of the main avenues of avoidance, companies trading here will no longer be based in Ireland and elsewhere so pay taxes on the local subsidary.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København

I fail to see how that has anything to do with her having a good start or not. I actually think she'll do alright.

I also know that you chat shit and are joking 75% of the time, but do you honestly support Corbyn and think that he could ever win an election? I wouldn't trust the man to run a school classroom let alone a country.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm a staunch remainer but I can't see why people are getting so worked up about May taking over. As has been repeated over and over, this is perfectly normal protocol and , I for one, am looking forward to some stability returning to parliament. I also happen to think that out of a bad bunch May is the best choice. It's pretty obvious by now we are to leave the EU so I'm glad May, who is sceptical enough on both the leave and remain sides of the arguments, will be the best person to get us a good deal. I don't like her track record on many, many things but she could do a job.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I fail to see how that has anything to do with her having a good start or not. I actually think she'll do alright.

I also know that you chat shit and are joking 75% of the time, but do you honestly support Corbyn and think that he could ever win an election? I wouldn't trust the man to run a school classroom let alone a country.

Welcome to NSC Mrs Kinnock

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Delighted that Theresa May will be our next Prime Minister.

An intelligent, dignified, honest and likeable person. She'll do her very best for our country. Andrea Leadsom's comments were cutting and cruel. Theresa has given her whole life to politics without maternity gaps and as home secretary has done a magnificent job.

Thank you for your views, Mr May.

The only good thing is she won't be distracted from affairs of state, like Maggie was over that weasel son of hers Mark.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here