Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most hated albion players

bn18bloke

May 28, 2011
LA
I always had a problem with oatway after seeing us lose at Exeter away where we were total shite, and then him giving us the finger as he walked off..

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Gary Hart - horrible person, who by all accounts treated the youth-teamers appallingly. Personally heard him shout and scream at some young lad who misplaced a pass in a warmup.

And you HATE Gary Hart for this?
I'm struggling with this, not saying I don't believe you heard him shout, I just can't believe you hate someone that played for the Albion for so long.
This is the first bad word I have heard about Gary.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Can't say I've ever hated an Albion player. Strangely the most votes on this thread seem to go to Codner, I always liked him, he had real talent and when he was good I really enjoyed watching him. I'd suggest that Codner and Barnes are the players who have had the most terrace abuse. I like them both and never understood why they were singled out.

Players I had no time for:

Micky Thomas
Mick Ferguson
Robbie Savage
Andy Kennedy
Most of the non league Sussex players that Barry Lloyd brought in.

I agree with all this post. Want to add a couple as well but its not hate. Kevin Bremner, a hard working player but ive never seen someone miss so many easy chances and then started whinging with Loydd when fans started taking the piss.

Alan Biley, totally useless for us.

Justin Fashanu was obviously messed up in the head. He almost scored an OG by heading onto the crossbar and started laughing.

quite liked Codner, there was far worse players than him at the time.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Mark Walton used to get a lot of stick from certain sections of the crowd. Unfairly in my view.

On the subject of Mark Walton, I was watching the Albion v Cardiff(2000/01). I can't remember whether he was in goal for us or them but recall some bloke in the South stand at the Withdean shouting out "Walton! wheres ya dad?" whilst Walton was taking a goal-kick. Never quite worked out what that was all about.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I used to watch Worthing when i was young and they had a partnerhip of Edmonds and Tiltmond, great for non league football and Edmonds scored most of the goals like Peter Ward of that level. Tiltman was like the junior partner. For him to sign FOR Brighton was looking like a fish out of water. Not his fault though.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Used to despise Warren Aspinall when he used to play against us. He was one of those players that could always be wound up by the crowd and every time he played against us he was abused mercilessly. Remember him being sent off at the goldstone for Pompey i think. I was by the tunnel and, along with a few others, had a few words with him! Couldnt believe it when we signed him. Now, maybe because i am older and maybe because of some respect for what he has come through as well as his inside knowledge on things at the club, i really enjoy listening to him on the commentaries. Would never have believed all those years ago that it would be BHA that would employ him for so long after his retirement.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I remember that Walsall game for the pitiful defending by a certain David Livermore - He really did'nt give a sh*t!

That performance by Livermore was only overshadowed by Glen Thomas against Bremtford, two shockingly abject performances

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hate is a bit harsh, Sir Cliff once said hate is based on love, you have onced had to love someone before you can really hate them???????

For his play off semi final performance alone against Millwall at the Goldstone you cant hate Robert Codner, same with Chiv, good honest and hardworking, had a attitude as the Gulls Eye boys found out but that's more about life than football.

IMHO in my time watching the Albion, Kennedy has to be one of the most unpleasant people I've come into contact with, then again he was berated in the fanzine so maybe his drunken rant in Rutherfords was justified.

The young John Crumplin wasn't that likeable but turned into a top bloke with age, so if I have to go with one for reasons given also by others it has to be Micky Thomas who took the piss out of everyone concerned with this club, and when we met him later in life showed no remorse and commented on how easy the money was for his actual game time, and he was Welsh as well......

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I remember a game at the Goldstone, 1990 I think, when there was a minutes silence being held. After about 30 seconds of absolute silence a sole voice rang out "F*ck off Codnor!"

I remember a shout of "show us some black magaic Codner......and F***ing disappear" That obviously got a few more laughs in the early 90's that it would now

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I never had much time for Oatway as he started on me a little bit when he joined us.

I don't think i've ever disliked a player for what they've done on the pitch

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Ashley Neal at Northampton?

He was pretty shite at Rochdale too. Definitely in top 5 of worst Albion players, but don't hate him, he just wasn't very good! Whereas Micky Thomas was; he just took the piss out of us.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Another vote for Codnor - used to get dogs abuse.
Ashley Barnes from more recent vintage divided opinion massively.

Ashley Barnes is one of the best footballers we've had in the last 25 years. And he gave his all aswell. Unbelievable that a lot of people preferred that lazy, moaning, Argie donkey.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
That performance by Livermore was only overshadowed by Glen Thomas against Bremtford, two shockingly abject performances

And Glen only played the first half before being subbed - that was truely the worst I'e ever seen a player play.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
And Glen only played the first half before being subbed - that was truely the worst I'e ever seen a player play.

Was he not subbed after 20 mins after scoring and own goal, and gifting them a goal in the first 10?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here