Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bolton Wanderers on the Brink?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Charlton, Middlesborough, Tranmere, Newport County, Walsall, Northampton Town, Kettering Town, Aldershot, Maidstone United: all went into administration before or in 1992.

The Insolvency Act was only passed in 1986, so administration wasn't really governed until then. Some more recent examples like Darlington have little to do with the Premier League and a lot to do with idiot owners, like building a 25k capacity stadium when your football club has only ever averaged about 1,500 to 2000 fans.

This.

Bolton overspent and over borrowed, which was entirely the fault of owners past. This can’t be attributed to the PL.

A shame for the staff and any creditors who’ll only receive x pence in the pound of debt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This.

Bolton overspent and over borrowed, which was entirely the fault of owners past. This can’t be attributed to the PL.

A shame for the staff and any creditors who’ll only receive x pence in the pound of debt.

There are many others, Maidstone paid £400,000 for a plot of land for a new stadium without getting planning consent first, which they then couldn't get. They actually remain the last Football League Club to go out of business completely in 1992.

In the lead up to the 90s and the formation of the Premier League, the game was littered with clubs on the brink. What happened to us and many others before and since hasn't been down to the Premier League.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Some more recent examples like Darlington have little to do with the Premier League and a lot to do with idiot owners, like building a 25k capacity stadium when your football club has only ever averaged about 1,500 to 2000 fans.
25zgn1.jpg

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
To pur off clubs like palace, Leicester etc that use administration as a strategy for development.

Weren't Bolton the club advocating a closed shop in the premier league? What comes around goes around I guess.

Football has been ruined by the premier league and the greed that it generates.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

In fairness, the no relegation plan was Phil Gartside/Fat Sam, nothing to do with the current lot

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but I've never understood why clubs in such dire straights get huge point deductions as well. I'm not sure who it helps - it's almost as if the ELF are keen to inflict that killer blow.

Football Clubs need to be held in check because many of them push the Boundaries of Taxation Avoidance. As seen with Rangers treating Salaries as Loans and then writing them off to avoiding paying tax and NIC

Going back years when HMRC went out to Leeds United and they were putting payments through to players who moved house from one part of Leeds to another they were making payments for moving costs and claiming that they were ''tax free relocation fees''

All this deprives the Treasury much needed funds to pay for schools, hospitals etc - They need to be kept in check and if points deductions help keep them in check then I am all for it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Football Clubs need to be held in check because many of them push the Boundaries of Taxation Avoidance. As seen with Rangers treating Salaries as Loans and then writing them off to avoiding paying tax and NIC

Going back years when HMRC went out to Leeds United and they were putting payments through to players who moved house from one part of Leeds to another they were making payments for moving costs and claiming that they were ''tax free relocation fees''

All this deprives the Treasury much needed funds to pay for schools, hospitals etc - They need to be kept in check and if points deductions help keep them in check then I am all for it

Bigger than that, football clubs going into administration deprive HMRC (us) of many £m's in tax and NI on each occasion. The insolvency rules for football clubs are that unpaid taxes are not a preferential creditor, giving the green light for wiping out all tax debt overnight. In other words, tax monies due to the state were instead used for day to day operations up until the date of administration. Disgusting.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Charlton, Middlesborough, Tranmere, Newport County, Walsall, Northampton Town, Kettering Town, Aldershot, Maidstone United: all went into administration before or in 1992.

The Insolvency Act was only passed in 1986, so administration wasn't really governed until then. Some more recent examples like Darlington have little to do with the Premier League and a lot to do with idiot owners, like building a 25k capacity stadium when your football club has only ever averaged about 1,500 to 2000 fans.

I knew my memory was fading but....... I do now remember Maidstone given how we benefited from that but had completely forgotten about Boro and the rest. Still think the PL impact is hugely negative - can see multiple car crashes appearing as it is just not sustainable unless you are in the bubble of the PL.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Clubs were going to the wall well before the Premier League. Go to a National, Conference North/South game and the game has never looked so healthy in the lower tiers. The Premier League is it’s own evil beast, but not sure all football’s woes can be blamed on it.

Tell that to the fans of who have all had financial trouble and mismanagement:

York City
Torquay United
Aldershot Town
Hereford United - Defunct
Stockport County
Darlington - Defunct
Chester City - Defunct,
Wrexham
Boston United
Rushden & Diamonds - Defunct
Halifax Town - Defunct

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Bolton were the biggest supporters of closing the Premier League and having no relegation/promotion but it's not the current lot. They're long gone.

I do wonder if the problems started when they had virtually an entire squad of very old, highly paid 'names' with no re-sale value but huge wage drains on yearly turnover. Once relagated in that situation it must have been hard to fix.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

York City
Torquay United
Aldershot Town
Stockport County
Darlington - Defunct
Chester City - Defunct,
Wrexham
Boston United
Halifax Town - Defunct

How close did we come to joining that list? A Robbie Reinalt goal and a Mark Ormerod save?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

York City
Torquay United
Aldershot Town
Stockport County
Darlington - Defunct
Chester City - Defunct,
Wrexham
Boston United
Halifax Town - Defunct

What has the steady demise of those clubs got to do with the Premier League though ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

York City
Torquay United
Aldershot Town
Stockport County
Darlington - Defunct
Chester City - Defunct,
Wrexham
Boston United
Halifax Town - Defunct

How close did we come to joining that list? A Robbie Reinelt goal and a Mark Ormerod save?

I can only find the Reinelt goal, what a day in the history of Premier League BHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SCJM2E61c

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

York City
Torquay United
Aldershot Town
Stockport County
Darlington - Defunct
Chester City - Defunct,
Wrexham
Boston United
Halifax Town - Defunct

Tell them what? That the lower tiers are looking healthy in comparison to past years at the moment, or that the Premier League is not to blame for their financial woes? :shrug:

There are many of that list who were completely responsible for their own downfall and really have no one else to blame but their own owners. I mean Boston United as an example, you probably wouldn't find a bigger bunch of :wanker::wanker: running a football club and a manager at the time throughout football!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, its quite amazing that they're going into administration over a loan of less than five million quid - thats buttons in todays terms, or certainly should be for a Championship club of their size. Its not even owed to HMRC this time.

I gather the overall debt is around £13m. Shirley they won't have too much trouble finding a buyer if thats all they're in hock by.

SAC

May 21, 2014
FFP is working in the PL, making it quite difficult for clubs to actually lose money. FFP needs to be a lot stricter outside of the PL to ensure that clubs don't overspend and go to the wall.

As ever, by the time a club gets to this point, the people who are responsible are long gone. I do feel for the employees and fans.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As an aside, its quite amazing that they're going into administration over a loan of less than five million quid - thats buttons in todays terms, or certainly should be for a Championship club of their size. Its not even owed to HMRC this time.

I gather the overall debt is around £13m. Shirley they won't have too much trouble finding a buyer if thats all they're in hock by.

They managed to find a buyer a couple of years ago when the club was about £150m in debt so this should surely be a doddle

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Football clubs don't come much more historic or traditional than Bolton Wanderers. This is a sad week for English football. I wish all the Bolton fans well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here