Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desert Island Discs, Noel Gallagher..

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
That's a good, solid selection, especially impressed at the inclusion of Voodoo Ray. Totally had Noel down as a rockist.

is a wonderful moment on the show when he picks Voodoo Ray. Talks about doing beans at the Hacienda, the says along lines of "lots of usual radio 4 listeners might wanna go a make a cup of tea now cos you wont have a clue what is going on now, but to any old ravers listening, whoop whoop"

Noel always talked about his love of acid house, remember he made a whole album produced by Future Sound of London but he didnt want to release it

Hard to underestimate his importance to people like me in their mid/late 30s

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
No problem with the Floyd, just the track he chose. U2 however.....

Personally I think it's one of the most underrated Floyd songs, it's just a shame it gets lost a bit in the middle of the second disc of the album.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Personally I think it's one of the most underrated Floyd songs, it's just a shame it gets lost a bit in the middle of the second disc of the album.

Animals was where Pink Floyd and I parted company as they started to become Roger Waters backing band.

Really don't get on with The Wall at all (with one obvious exception thanks to Dave Gilmour).

On the other hand I absolutely LOVE Atom Heart Mother which several people have told me is almost unlistenable to.....

I would have loved him to have chosen Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. :lolol:

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not a bad selection. I don't like U2, but that's a personal thing.

Where I would question his judgement is that despite choosing a track by the incomparable David Bowie he went with the overblown mess that is Let's Dance.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Where I would question his judgement is that despite choosing a track by the incomparable David Bowie he went with the overblown mess that is Let's Dance.

If you listen to the programme he claimed his wife made him do it - he was going to choose Heroes!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As you have probably guessed, I didn't listen to the programme. I stand corrected!

She sounds quite a feisty woman, she made him get up and take the first dance (The Ronettes Be My Baby, hence it also being on the list) at their Wedding Reception, I'll bet he would have rather faced up to Liam in his prime...

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I know it's stating the obvious but Desert island Discs isn't a game of who can select the coolest music. It's at it's best when the guest uses music to illustrate their life. Freddy Flintoff got some stick for his supposed middle of the road choices, but it was good radio because the songs he picked revealed lots about key points in his life and gave Kirsty Young opportunity to get him to talk about some interesting stuff.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I know it's stating the obvious but Desert island Discs isn't a game of who can select the coolest music. It's at it's best when the guest uses music to illustrate their life. Freddy Flintoff got some stick for his supposed middle of the road choices, but it was good radio because the songs he picked revealed lots about key points in his life and gave Kirsty Young opportunity to get him to talk about some interesting stuff.

Yeah, but always interesting to hear what a musician considers his coolest music, more so than other guests.

I'm with him on the Joshua Tree, I remember when it was released and it was just another Album playing in Our Price records, but for me too its one of the best collections of songs in the history of music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, but always interesting to hear what a musician considers his coolest music, more so than other guests.

I'm with him on the Joshua Tree, I remember when it was released and it was just another Album playing in Our Price records, but for me too its one of the best collections of songs in the history of music.

The Joshua Tree is a masterpiece. A great selection of songs but also an excellent and very fitting piece of production work from Daniel Lanois; he gives it a real wide-screen feel which works so well with the album. Good artwork as well; lots of stars aligned on that record.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The Joshua Tree is a masterpiece. A great selection of songs but also an excellent and very fitting piece of production work from Daniel Lanois; he gives it a real wide-screen feel which works so well with the album. Good artwork as well; lots of stars aligned on that record.

Agreed, it's utterly uncool to like anything U2, but I bought The Joshua Tree on release day and I still remember how taken aback I was, stands the test of time as well - To your point about production, George Best was released the same year and the production, as [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION] alluded to, was a bit low budget. Like chalk and cheese.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here