Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Exactly what I don't want to hear:cry::shootself

Been on the bike for 2 months now. I'm using it for commuting too. I asked work to sign up for the cycle to work scheme. Its only a small firm with 20 people there and to my surprise they did so i bought myself a Giant Talon 2 29er 2018 model with a retail of 600 new. 2x9 drive train. So much different to my old steel Raleigh I had as a kid.

Got it for 450 on the scheme so a half decent hardtail to get me started. Began doing the shortest route to work and back to toughen up my arse and get over saddle sore. It's been 25 years since I rode a bike so took a couple of weeks to get over that.

Now I'm back in the saddle I've started extending the route and now do 5 miles each way with about 4.5 off road through woods and bridleways. And arrive at work not too sweaty now unlike the first couple of weeks. My recovery is also getting quicker. Catch my breath again within a few minutes and no more jelly legs at all.

I do a 10 mile route home once a week which about 8 miles off road anx hoping to extend it to twice a week.I'm intending to do one 20 miler at least every fortnight but with football Saturdays and a 4 year old little girl I'm finding it hard to find the time for serious riding just yet.

Recently upgraded my front light to a 700 lumen Lezyne unit as the original I bought wasn't that good. I start work at 6am and since it's been dark at 5.15am when I leave, the wooded sections with what effectively was a candle was getting dangerous, especially as I'm getting fitter, quicker and slightly more skilled to tackle the rough stuff.

Really enjoying it.

It was ****ing cold this morning though so next on the list on payday is some decent waterproof but breathable gloves and some waterproof mtb trousers to save using the overtrousers if I can. Boil in a bag springs to mind wearing those.....

Checking reviews for mtb trousers and I'm staggered at the price of them to be honest. Well over £100! There's some Boardman ones in Halfords for 50 quid that can unzip the legs to use as shorts that look reasonable with a liner short and chamois included. I can't do bibs or tights as I work in a factory, as soon as I walk in the door I will never hear the end of it. Especially when I get changed!

Any recommendations on gloves or trousers would be appreciated, and a bonus if they're reasonably priced...

Sorry for the long post but a bit of a late introduction as to where I'm at right now.....

Have you looked at Sportspursuit? https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales

Often really good deals on there. Also, ebay is worth a look.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ive installex strava. But havent really used it yet. Having to build a route on a pc to then get it on the phone seems like a faff. Not sure if I'm really interested in the competitive side of it yet either. I'm happy just completing a ride, and then Stat comes along and smashes the time and my sense of achievement:down::down:

I prefer Komoot at the moment. I've got the free map of sussex and I can build routes on the app on the phone. It has more paths and trails on it than Strava as well.

I don't think I've ever smashed a time, and even if I did it would have been a few years ago.

On Strava I have a 'local hills' loop, it acts as my training ride.
Less than 2 hours and never more than 20 minutes from home.
The ride itself is 4 separate climbs to the same point, (a roundabout north of Arundel) for which I created a Strava segment.

So what I now have on Strava is an excellent permanent training tool to repeatedly test myself against, in between more scenic rides.
I find it a very handy guide to dip into, as well as giving me a little kick if I'm on for a faster time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You also did this to me. :annoyed:

I would love it, love it, if you got an MTB.

Then the next bloody minded roadie zealot to convert would be [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION].

:lol:

Sorry to disappoint you Pogue, but no matter how much you'll love it, me getting a mountain bike just ain't gonna happen.

Oh and neither is you getting a kudos for one either. :kiss:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Hey Spongy, strava is simply a way of tracking your physiological decline due to ageing!
The sdwiad is a brilliant challenge. I did mine in June this year. Hellish in places, funny in others and hugely satisfying. Oh, and you'll want to eat everything you see for several days afterwards!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey Spongy, strava is simply a way of tracking your physiological decline due to ageing!

Which is why you set all your targets when you're a complete mess! :thumbsup:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Quiet morning at work....

Attachments

• GB2.png
    GB2.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 64
  • download.png
    download.png
    300 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Your weather report from the heart of VeloSouth country:-

Slightly overcast, breezy, no rain.

I live and work through the route and was one of those who would've been massively affected (as would my workplace). It tipped it down from about 7.30am - middayish in the area I was in. I'm impressed anyone got through the sections of country road that were part of the route around where I live as there were massive puddles across a lot of the country roads. I imagine it was doable with smaller groups if they slowed down just enough to avoid the poor parts, but with 15,000 cyclists I would've thought there would've been a fair few accidents if it had gone ahead.

Kudos to those who did it though - let's hope that next year there's much more thought put into the route if it is to go ahead, preferably with consultation between the council and the locals who are most affected so that it isn't as detrimental to the local communities stuck in the loop.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Interesting to see the Yorkshire 2019 route maps this morning. Perhaps not a race for the pure climbers, but riders will need to get over some big hills before getting to the finishing circuit. The finishing circuit itself is not flat, but does not have any especially long climbs... one for the Puncheurs, perhaps... another one for Sagan?

Really excited to get out and see the racing, given that I'm a Yorkshire resident these days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, so true! Quite depressing...

Amen.
I fancied doing my 'Beacon and the Bear' ride tomorrow.

I figured I best double check the mileage, so found a ride i did with Phil in May '16.

I was nearly broken when I saw we averaged 18mph, for the 60 miles.

This time I'll need to factor in an extra couple of hours. :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One for [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]

[tweet]1045587932852224000[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***Note to Geeks***

The Edburton Road, to, through & past Faulking is no more than a couple of weeks away from being The Bestest Road in Sussex.

(therefore the world)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Today's news

Cleaned the bike belatedly after last week's messy ride. Chain took some degreasing. Eventually got an 8mm thorn out of the usual tyre. Was on a low mileage tube too, so will repair it.

Rollers arrived. First thought "funk, I didn't dream ordering it". Second though "no way". Most off putting initial aspect is extra height from ground. Plan, put something either side to rest on and acclimatise with the old MTB my lad now uses. Plainly more sluggish but after not long I was rollin'. Kiss my 'arris you naysayers! I know there's a long way to go, but I know I can do it. Observation: for whatever reason, it is pretty tiring. Its gonna make me super fit (hopefully).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Today's news

Cleaned the bike belatedly after last week's messy ride. Chain took some degreasing. Eventually got an 8mm thorn out of the usual tyre. Was on a low mileage tube too, so will repair it.

Rollers arrived. First thought "funk, I didn't dream ordering it". Second though "no way". Most off putting initial aspect is extra height from ground. Plan, put something either side to rest on and acclimatise with the old MTB my lad now uses. Plainly more sluggish but after not long I was rollin'. Kiss my 'arris you naysayers! I know there's a long way to go, but I know I can do it. Observation: for whatever reason, it is pretty tiring. Its gonna make me super fit (hopefully).

Video evidence or you didn't do it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Video evidence or you didn't do it.

I wanted to write:-

'Pride comes before a fall',

but I know even I would feel guilty about Moto being in traction very very soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=12665]TrickyOne[/MENTION] how was Cob Lane today, did you dance up it as if it were a speed bump, as usual?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fukk off [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION].

Fukk off a bit [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION].

I only reported promising shakedowns, not an 'I'm better than Siri Minge',

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here