Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Thousands queuing for trains at Brighton station

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Couldn't they have just bedded down for the night under a secluded bush or something.

What's the worst that'll happen?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Because GTR couldn't get enough trains running to carry people. Thus the police had to prevent overcrowding in the station. GTR had months to get a plan in place - Pride is ALWAYS busy. It's hardly rocket science. Remember this is the same company that is so pathetic is can't provide a decent service to everyday commuters or for the London to Brighton bike ride. GTR shouldn't be allowed to run a rail service at all.

Nonsense, if 50000 people all descend on a single train station at one time when it isn't large enough to contain let alone process that many people it will be carnage, nothing Southern Rail can do about that.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
1024.jpg

The Guardian has this captioned as Brighton station but doesn't look anything like Brighton. Is it Preston Park?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It always puzzles me why people don't just F off and come back to the station later? It's not like they have to get to a match or as if Brighton is some rural outpost with nothing to do for a few hours. I would have taken one look at that scene and turned on my heels. Even if you had a specific booked ticket I reckon they'd let you on later, you're not gonna get that train anyway. Chill on the beach, get some lunch, go see a film. A hundred and one things to do rather than get squashed in with thousands of sweaty loons in hot-pants and cowboy hats on a comedown. Or hop on an bus for a few stops along thetrack.

Edit - just seen this was last night. Thought it was this morning. Either way, my days of rushing for the last train are well and truly over. Hotel or cab home for me these days or I don't bother.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Nonsense, if 50000 people all descend on a single train station at one time when it isn't large enough to contain let alone process that many people it will be carnage, nothing Southern Rail can do about that.

Quite, Lewes (and surrounding stations) gets closed on Bonfire Night so maybe so should PP on Pride w/e. Everybody walking back to Brighton station would dilute the crowds a bit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] is correct.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Guardian has this captioned as Brighton station but doesn't look anything like Brighton. Is it Preston Park?

saw the same on BBC. reckon its Three Bridges where apparently some trains stopped for onward services. i dont know what else people expect, trains dont carry more than 1000-1600 people for 8-12 car trains, if you put on double the regular service there would be a couple hours wait at the back.

theboybilly

[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] is correct.

I'm not so sure - while I'm no lover of GTR they fulfilled their train-running obligation last night. The timetable was there for all to see and published well beforehand. Had GTR run later trains people would have just left it even later to head to the station. Every year this happens and still folk don't get it. If you didn't get home last night it's down to your own lack of organisation.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't think that the fault for this one is with Southern Rail. The expectation needs to be set very clearly that hundreds of thousands of people flood into town for a short period of time and we are nowhere near having the sort of infrastructure to cope with such a swelling. What needs to be considered for 2019 is how better to store people, how best to educate the people intending to come to town about the options either to stay in town or to not expect an easy train ride away.

Hove Park should become a campsite for the weekend, as should East Brighton Park and there should be stewards at both parks to ensure it doesn't get too crazy and to help people find somewhere else to go when they run out of space.

It's also a massive earning opportunity through AirBNB. I'm not currently in a position to maximise this opportunity but hopefully this time next year I might be able to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not so sure - while I'm no lover of GTR they fulfilled their train-running obligation last night. The timetable was there for all to see and published well beforehand. Had GTR run later trains people would have just left it even later to head to the station. Every year this happens and still folk don't get it. If you didn't get home last night it's down to your own lack of organisation.

Do you not think they should run more, and longer, trains though? And advertise this enhanced service?

My take is whenever there’s a challenge they either roll down the shutters and wave the white flag, or grit their teeth and run their regular service. Neither is acceptable.

(and I will never overlook an opportunity to bash the rail companies, or the Tories :smile:)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
These '15 extra trains' that Southern are supposed to have laid on: was that to get people home on the saturday night? Is there any independent verification of this? All sounds a bit knives and knuckledusters to me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Interesting comments..... people pushing to get on trains over crowded platforms people pushed on lines or crushing injuries.. police cant win either way. It seems to me the problem was everybody wanted to get on the train at the same time as they all wanted to watch Britney. Southern added 15 extra trains but this was not enough. Could they have added more? I expect not as you probably can only have one train on a stretch of line at one time. The main role of the police in these sort of incident is the preservation of life which as nobody died they succeded in

After a bit of thought you are probably right on this. So when Pride is on concerts should finish earlier I should think in future. Stagger leaving times. It is tricky for the police, I know that.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Quite, Lewes (and surrounding stations) gets closed on Bonfire Night so maybe so should PP on Pride w/e. Everybody walking back to Brighton station would dilute the crowds a bit

Preston park station was closed

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It could have been worse it it had been a rail replacement bus weekend!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I really think it’s time to alternate this event,why not have it every other year?Why not use other vibrant,open minded cities like Croydon or Portsmouth,Burnley.It will give Brighton a chance to recover,I think it should be every 4 years,the whole event must cost council tax payers 10s of millions every year,money that could be spent on free school meals during the summer holidays and such like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep it every year for me , the council need the money .

Some brooms would be good , I was in Brighton on Friday evening before Pride and it a is a filthy shithole

Seriously . What’s happened to the place ? ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theboybilly

Do you not think they should run more, and longer, trains though? And advertise this enhanced service?

My take is whenever there’s a challenge they either roll down the shutters and wave the white flag, or grit their teeth and run their regular service. Neither is acceptable.

(and I will never overlook an opportunity to bash the rail companies, or the Tories :smile:)

While not knowing the facts of what length trains Southern were laying on and how many extra trains (if any) the fact remains that after the show at Preston Park there was a maximum window of 90-odd minutes to catch a train towards London (which is where I suspect the majority were heading) I can think of loads of reasons for GTR being unable to provide trains after midnight on a Saturday. Shortage of drivers is just one but there are many others. There could be planned engineering works that will affect trains further up the line. There may be no room at Victoria, for example, to accept trains after 1am. And even if there were would there still be time to get the train to the depot for cleaning (which it would definitely need) and maintenance. Just adding extra trains isn't that easy although I accept your point about GTR struggling to run a regular service.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

And, heven forbid, all through the night !

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

London Road and Preston Park stations were closed for safety reasons, as their platforms wouldn't cope with crowds.

As I understand it, Brighton station was closed for a couple of hours and then reopened, with trains running through the night.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Keep it every year for me , the council need the money .

Some brooms would be good , I was in Brighton on Friday evening before Pride and it a is a filthy shithole

Seriously . What’s happened to the place ? ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but the filth and graffiti adds a unique somewhat edgy charm to the place in reliably told!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here