Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The emergence of Locadia as a proper Prem player has changed things for Hughton. Similarly, I see Jahanbaksh is back in full training for Iran and is likely to feature in their match vs Vietnam on Saturday.

I really think we're well set to see out the season with the current squad, indeed integrating new faces now could be an unnecessary disruption.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The emergence of Locadia as a proper Prem player has changed things for Hughton. Similarly, I see Jahanbaksh is back in full training for Iran and is likely to feature in their match vs Vietnam on Saturday.

I really think we're well set to see out the season with the current squad, indeed integrating new faces now could be an unnecessary disruption.

Totally agree, we absolutely do not need to sign anyone this month.

Stumpy Tim

It wouldn't surprise me if we did buy someone like Abraham, but loan him out to Villa for the season. That would have to happen in the next week though I believe. If not him, a young prospect up-front

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
So at least we know what type of striker we'll be looking to buy in the summer! So all of you FIFA players, have a look to see where there is a carbon copy of Murray but younger and quicker!

I can't be arsed to put my thinking cap on, but upon reading the requirements above I immediately thought .... Mitrovic. He has always reminded me of a younger, quicker Murray.
I'm not saying we could get him, afford him, or even want him ........ but in my view he is Murray MkII, and an improved version at that.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I can't be arsed to put my thinking cap on, but upon reading the requirements above I immediately thought .... Mitrovic. He has always reminded me of a younger, quicker Murray.
I'm not saying we could get him, afford him, or even want him ........ but in my view he is Murray MkII, and an improved version at that.

Whilst I see where those comparisons come from, I don't think he has the level of intelligence that Murray does. Murray is great at buying cheap fouls and is a great reader of the game. Mitrovic is more about brute force.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I see where those comparisons come from, I don't think he has the level of intelligence that Murray does. Murray is great at buying cheap fouls and is a great reader of the game. Mitrovic is more about brute force.

Mitrovic is just 24 years old. Of course he doesn't.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I wouldnt mind seeing McBurnie from Swansea, Only 22 and scored 10 goals for Swansea in the Championship, Similar Mould to Murray but I would highly doubt he would be able to lead the line like Murray has this season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The level of intelligence, as you succinctly put it, that Murray possesses, comes from experience, and many years of playing professional football. He is a wily old campaigner who knows just how to draw cheap fouls out of other players. I too admire Mitrivic, and can see the comparisons, but there is an awful lot more to his game than just brute force!

In fact it could almost be said that the Murray/Mitrovic traditional type of number 9, a strong trget man, who is able to win high balls and play in other players, is rare in the higher echelons of the game. Manchester City and Liverpool, are two teams that don't often play with one. Employing faster and more mobile forwards seems to be in vogue nowadays.,

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We'll need to replace Murray next season... would be great to get someone in now and get them up to speed. The Solanke rumour would lead us to think this may happen.

This but would rather wait until summer

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
CH said we were never interested.

What he actually said when asked was this rather bland answer. A non denial denial if you like.
"At this moment I think we would be doing very minimal business if any at all [in the transfer window]
What we have got as a squad is one we have built over these last couple of seasons and, in particular, players that we brought in last summer and the January before - in (Jurgen) Locadia's case - that are now managing to get games in the team and be very much a part of the team and the squad."
This then got written up as "Brighton have no plans to sign Dominic Solanke, says Chris Hughton" - https://www.skysports.com/football/...ns-to-sign-dominic-solanke-says-chris-hughton
Well i suppose so.

The Argus reported that club liked him, were interested in him several times.
See: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17332778.crystal-palace-end-interest-in-dominic-solanke/ and https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...as-fa-cup-opponents-bournemouth-sign-solanke/ and https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17325533.albion-like-young-liverpool-striker/
(ie: Naylor would have had confirmation from his sources, most likely Barber or Winstanley that that was the case) but I guess they balked at the idea of £19m-24m with add ons. But "never interested" . Not quite.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Mitrovic would cost what? £50m? to get out of Fulham at this point plus I suspect large wages. Does anyone seriously think we'll spend that? In the summer if they go down it could happen but even then you'd be looking at a very significant outlay. IMO that particular boat has sailed.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post

Totally agree, we absolutely do not need to sign anyone this month.

Agreed. Unless someone becomes available who's too good to turn down of course.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A number 10 to compete with Pascal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
Mitrovic is just 24 years old. Of course he doesn't.

To be honest, I think rather than age a lot of it comes from navigating the lower depths of English football. I'd rather we sign someone who has good pedigree in perhaps the championship, and can perhaps make the jump. We've seen that with the vardy's, Austins and ings' of the league, Mitrovic is a proven hot-head, whose lack of discipline cost Newcastle on occasions.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
The level of intelligence, as you succinctly put it, that Murray possesses, comes from experience, and many years of playing professional football. He is a wily old campaigner who knows just how to draw cheap fouls out of other players. I too admire Mitrivic, and can see the comparisons, but there is an awful lot more to his game than just brute force!

In fact it could almost be said that the Murray/Mitrovic traditional type of number 9, a strong trget man, who is able to win high balls and play in other players, is rare in the higher echelons of the game. Manchester City and Liverpool, are two teams that don't often play with one. Employing faster and more mobile forwards seems to be in vogue nowadays.,

It depends if we wish to continue with the one up top model. Can't help but feel whilst we are after a new striker,, the club may be moving towards a more mobile front man, as we've seen with the recent Andone/ locadia combo in the front 3

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
It depends if we wish to continue with the one up top model. Can't help but feel whilst we are after a new striker,, the club may be moving towards a more mobile front man, as we've seen with the recent Andone/ locadia combo in the front 3

I would really like to see JL, Andone and Jose as a front 3.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A number 10 to compete with Pascal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure we need that anymore with the midfield V formation we seem to have adopted.

Groß------------Pröpper ( Bissouma, Kayal )

---------Stephens--------- ( New recruit )

I reckon we now have more need for a player to compete at the point of the V with Stephens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here