Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Post-match reaction and thoughts - Bournemouth

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Was at the game today and thought we were very good in the first half and completely bossed it. Begovic kept them in the game, but we seemed to completely lose our way in the second half and our crossing today was bloody awful. I thought Locadia did ok in the first half but was a passenger in the second half and Gross had a very quiet game. Prior to the sending off I was begging CH to take off Locadia & Gross and go 4-4-2 and bring on Muzza & Knocky because I felt the game was still there for the taking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can we give this change of tactics away from home more than one game before we start talking about binning the manager? I was very happy to see the change today and for more than half the game we were more than a match for Bournemouth. With some decent crosses we could have taken the lead and then who knows. Bournemouth scored their first against the run of play and we came back and looked threatening but the final ball was shit.

I was a Hughton doubter not so long ago but if he keeps his nerve with this new style in winnable away games I think we may turn the corner in away results.

From some of the comments on here tonight you’d think we didn’t turn up :rolleyes:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Was at the game today and thought we were very good in the first half and completely bossed it. Begovic kept them in the game, but we seemed to completely lose our way in the second half and our crossing today was bloody awful. I thought Locadia did ok in the first half but was a passenger in the second half and Gross had a very quiet game. Prior to the sending off I was begging CH to take off Locadia & Gross and go 4-4-2 and bring on Muzza & Knocky because I felt the game was still there for the taking.

CH was about to make that change, we were going to go 4-4-2 with Murray and Andone up top

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can we give this change of tactics away from home more than one game before we start talking about binning the manager? I was very happy to see the change today and for more than half the game we were more than a match for Bournemouth. With some decent crosses we could have taken the lead and then who knows. Bournemouth scored their first against the run of play and we came back and looked threatening but the final ball was shit.

I was a Hughton doubter not so long ago but if he keeps his nerve with this new style in winnable away games I think we may turn the corner in away results.

From some of the comments on here tonight you’d think we didn’t turn up :rolleyes:

This, this, this, this and this. Encouraging signs.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

With you all the way...some patience required ..on the other side I do wonder where our next win will come from three defeats in a rowans the next run of games looks a tad difficult relatively speaking

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
You would like to think so or was he going to sub Andone for Murray ?

On the stream commentary they said Gross was coming off to be replaced by Murray. Not sure where the commentators sit at the ground but they might have seen the subs board flash up initially before the decision was changed.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
On the stream commentary they said Gross was coming off to be replaced by Murray. Not sure where the commentators sit at the ground but they might have seen the subs board flash up initially before the decision was changed.

The sending off really did kill it for us because I felt we could have still won that game with both Murray and Andone up front together (with it still being 1-0 at that point)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
First half I thought we were a different side tbh, with a little bit more quality we could have had a couple. A different side came out 2nd half, we never troubled their keeper 11v11 and we looked fairly likely to lose, with a whimper again, unless bmuff imploded dramatically. With 10 men and only 1 down we still had a chance to salvage something if we took a few chances.The decision to sub an attacker for a defender effectively ended any hopes for the day imo.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With you all the way...some patience required ..on the other side I do wonder where our next win will come from three defeats in a rowans the next run of games looks a tad difficult relatively speaking

The 3 defeats were very predictable. We always lose to the bought billionaires of Chelski, and at Dean Court. Other than last seaons’s Dunk/Duffy incredible blocking show, at Burnden Park too. Howe and Dyche like playing us.

A shame that we couldn’t buck that predictably, but not too much of a setback.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This, this, this, this and this. Encouraging signs.
Yet more "encouraging signs". We were a goal down and he bought on Bong. That's really encouraging.

It doesn't matter how encouraging things might look with a change of formation-if they're learning bog all during the week in training it all means diddly squat. Other teams seem so better coached than us most of the time. Solly March taking free kicks ffs? His corners are dreadful most of the time-let's have him take a crucial free kick too and watch it sail over the bar. Sorry but that is down to coaching, or lack of. Everybody should know what their rôle is in crucial situations like free kicks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yet more "encouraging signs". We were a goal down and he bought on Bong. That's really encouraging.

It doesn't matter how encouraging things might look with a change of formation-if they're learning bog all during the week in training it all means diddly squat. Other teams seem so better coached than us most of the time. Solly March taking free kicks ffs? His corners are dreadful most of the time-let's have him take a crucial free kick too and watch it sail over the bar. Sorry but that is down to coaching, or lack of. Everybody should know what their rôle is in crucial situations like free kicks.

First half was encouraging. Bong was brought on after that ***ts error. Second half was poor.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think I've had enough of Hughton. There, I've said it. He did a great job in getting us where we are but personally I don't see him taking us forward. It's one thing trying not to lose but feck me, let's try and win a few too. Palace winning at Citeh shows what can be done if you really try and win an away game. They could have have got mullered but they didn't.

Couldn’t agree more.

I said on here last week that if you judge him purely on this season he has been a disaster and cost us many points. He still has credit in the bank from the previous three seasons which is why I was shouted down by several people, but I stand by the point that Hughton this season has been woeful. He’s spent money, he’s got decent players but the same old failings exist and he shows no sign of doing anything about them.

He is very fortunate that we fluked three 1-0 wins in a row despite having about 80 shots on our goal as those nine points are the difference between where we are and where we deserve to be.

Calm down you two.

You keep hitting the nail on the head.

He did at least have a pop at goal first half.

We are going to know a lot more by end of January, let's hope we have had some quality players brought in that Chris believes in and lets them fly free without the ankle chains to the halfway line.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We are just so predictable away from home now. Something seriously wrong with the mentality, tactics, application...everything basically when it comes to Albion on the road.

Who on earth can afford to pay so much and waste their weekend knowing it's almost certain we'll lose; there's a stupidly high chance we won't score; and a fair bet we won't have a shot on target?

Different when the players are bought with bags of balls and tracksuits, but these are taking home millions for their 'skills'

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
First half was encouraging. Bong was brought on after that ***ts error. Second half was poor.
Ultimately we failed to score, again, and came away with zero points. Again. Hughton's record away from home is as good as a goal start to the opposition. He needs to look at what he does at Lancing every day. Our shit form away from home is down to one thing. I'll let you decide what that might be.

Our result was not down to a shit referee. Yes, he fecked up but we should have been out of sight by then. If it isn't down to Hughton then it is down to his coaching staff.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What change of tactics? There was a change of personnel as he decided to put a striker on the left wing, but no change in system.

Hughton’s last 31 away games: W4 D7 L20

Forgive me for not thinking we’ve turned the corner just because he played Andone upfront instead of Murray.

Definite change in approach and attitude today. Can you really not see that?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We are just so predictable away from home now. Something seriously wrong with the mentality, tactics, application...everything basically when it comes to Albion on the road.

Who on earth can afford to pay so much and waste their weekend knowing it's almost certain we'll lose; there's a stupidly high chance we won't score; and a fair bet we won't have a shot on target?

Different when the players are bought with bags of balls and tracksuits, but these are taking home millions for their 'skills'

The away tickets were all grabbed gleefully. I can’t see the attraction myself at present, to see an entire free day wiped out in travelling to see a likely loss. Hopefully improvements in squad quality in the next year or two, will see us going into these games with far greater prospects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here