Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The old guard

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe that people are suggesting that Stephens is on the wane. He is our engine and through him comes most of our attacks. Sadly cant say the same about Knockaert and I think that his days are numbered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Knocky is a hair's breadth from being an upper-level PL player. Wether he has the ability to improve, I don't know. He'd tear the Championship a new arse every season but in the PL he looks no more than just... pretty good. He tried a few things today against Chelsea which were snuffed out in an instant. I absolutely love his work rate, passion and commitment though.'

I agree. I feel part of the issue with Knocky is the heavy reliance on his left foot. The smarter players pick up on this....as did MOTD last season when the Man U left back kept stepping to his right and stopping his cut in. He needs to mix things up a bit to keep opponents guessing; at times he’s quite easy to read.

I really do think Stephens needs dropping though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I cannot believe that people are suggesting that Stephens is on the wane. He is our engine and through him comes most of our attacks. Sadly cant say the same about Knockaert and I think that his days are numbered.

More came from Propper today.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Murray has next season as back up.
Stephens is far too slow.

They are the only two who might need replacing. But we WILL be strengthening and the likes Of Bissouma and both full backs will improve. It takes time.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
In a recent interview, Murray said that if he got another year he would expect to be on the bench more but still had a big part to play. So yes he needs to stay.

I am more concerned with Stephens and March. Recalling Stephens against Chelsea was the wrong decision because it makes him sound indespensible. He should have had to wait for his turn until the man in posession had a bad game. It sends the wrong signals to the rest of the squad. ('Even if you play well, you will be dropped when so and so is back').

As for March, although he gets in good positions, his crosses hardly ever beat the first defender. He just doesn't seem to be improving and imho is only in the matchday squad now because we have no one else.

My other half asked me if we are hanging on to Stephens and March rather than getting better players in because of our British quota requirements and the fact they may go up from 8/25 on Brexit. I didn't know the answer lol. But a good point.

I also didn't agree with not having either Barclay or White on the bench yesterday. If we had had an injury to Balogun or Dunk, surely a genuine centre back getting experience in a match we were likely to lose would be better than playing Bruno out of position or shuffling Bernardo over. Again wrong message. We won't play U23s even if there is no one else available.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
this place makes me laugh.

It seems now March has found some form the new victim for some to focus on is Dale Stephens.

UNBELIEVABLE !!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think Knocky is a hair's breadth from being an upper-level PL player. Wether

FFS take off those rose tinted specs! At best, he is a capable prem player, at worst an accident waiting to implode. I like the bloke, I really do. But that opening line blew the rest of your post out of the water. And as for the spelling in the second line opener :facepalm:

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I can understand the argument for Murray becoming the backup to A.N.Other striker rather than the main striker as this season progresses and for next season after all he has knowledge he can pass on during training as well as being a useful sub.

Knocky has shown short bursts that he can be a prem player but hasnt quite got there consistently yet and is probably hindered by one of his biggest assets , heart on the sleeve emotions are great but do get the better of him and that makes him frustrated and that tends to mean either a loss of form or loss of temper.

Stephens , again I can see he maybe seen as not proving himself at prem level consistently enough in creativity and often concedes unnecessary free kicks but he still has a role to play but maybe that role is more as a backup rather than first choice. Whether he would accept that is another matter and would probably put in a call to his agent but thats football.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Assess our players against typical Premier League opposition, not the top six. The end.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
As for March, although he gets in good positions, his crosses hardly ever beat the first defender. He just doesn't seem to be improving and imho is only in the matchday squad now because we have no one else.

Are you talking about Solly March? The same Solly March who has the 7TH!! most assists in the league?

On par as players from City, United, Watford and Bournemouth...

If there's anyone who has improved this season - it's him...

I'd happily stick my foot out there as say Solly at his current form is the first winger on the team sheet - Izquierdo, Jahanbakhsh and Knockaert have done little in comparison...

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
this place makes me laugh.

It seems now March has found some form the new victim for some to focus on is Dale Stephens.

UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Stephens had a poor game yesterday, gave the ball away far too often and slows everything down - the fact he came back into the team at the expense of Bissouma (who played very well when Stephens was suspended) and failed to justify his selection with that performance is why he is getting some stick from many. I felt Bissouma should have started yesterday. The problem we have is that Stephens and Propper are 2 similar players - neither of them naturally look to go forward as their first instinct and lack any pace which is what Bissouma brings to the midfield.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
They’ve served us so well and progressed the club forward. now it’s time to move them on as I’d hate to see them languishing in the squad the likes of Stephens knockeart and Murray need to be fazed out. We are a counterattacking team with our most pivotal players slower than a tanker. I can’t wait for the progression next season

I acknowledge what you’re trying to say but disagree with the thinking they need to move on. Murray has been outstanding for us this season and is the natural goal scorer so many other teams in the lower half of our league haven’t got and would bite your hand off to have. Andone should be playing with him, if not alongside him then in the number 10 role - he would have a field day feeding off Muzza’s intelligent hold up play and ability to win the flick ons.

Stephens is the player who’s starting place should be most at threat, but he would still be a good squad player so shouldn’t be moved on. Stephens is slow and too similar in style to Propper but not quite as good - he should be cover for Propper with Bissouma or Gross complementing Propper in the centre mid. Both Bissouma or Gross have a more natural instinct to look / drive forward and Gross is probably the best passer of a ball in our squad at the moment.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
To me the answer is to have Andone in for Gross. Gross's pace is pitiful!

What he brought to the team last season has all but dissipated.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Time to move the old guard on? No way! Time to start moving the old guard aside, yes - although I prefer to think of it in a more positive way; moving the new guard in. I expect - or at least I hope - that Andone and Bissouma will soon become first choices, which will obviously mean a step aside for Murray (who'll still be a fine impact sub) and one of our normal midfield three - probably Stephens, or maybe Gross (Bissouma came on for Gross yesterday, after all).

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Bizarre lead post. We just got beat by a single goal against Chelsea - who are fourth in the table, played 17 games, +21 goal difference, 35 goals scored. In my books that makes us an average Prem league team (which funnily enough is where we are in the table).

I agree there's a fair discussion around Hughton's tactics, and that we always look better when we try to be positive. Yes, Bissouma probably came on too late. Also agree that Murray looks slow against quick defences, Stephens isn't as skilful as Eden Hazard and Willian, and Knockeart can't saunter around Azpilicueta the same way he did around Championship fullbacks.

But that'll be the same Glenn Murray who scored from open play against Man Utd, Fulham, West Ham, Wolves etc. The Stephens who was part of our backbone all last year, and the Knockeart who ran his arse off yesterday (one of our two fit wingers) and put the cross in for the goal.

Let's have a conversation around tactics, and playing quicker players against quicker sides - but 21 points at Christmas. We're doing alright...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here