Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It's pretty obvious though - over 400 remainers in the House of Commons. The only surprise is that this has only just made the mainstream media. Cameron may go, but the Brexit camp will definitely NOT have a majority at Westminster. However, the good news for the Vote Leavers is that our future will be decided by our elected representatives, which is just what they want, I think...?

Absolutely, and the people will be able to vote them out in 2020, although by then the resurgence of the Eurozone and a faltering of the UK economy will have reduced the immigrant flow to a trickle, the threat of Turkish accession will be seen for the scare tactic it is, Boris will be concentrating on writing expensive articles for the Daily Telegraph, Nissan will have opened two more factories and the people may well decide that one close shave is enough and that they're not going to shoot themselves in the foot again.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
More importantly, as Albion fans, how would it affect our EU players, or any that we might be looking to sign?

I suggested Calde never would have been admitted to the UK as he was unemployed when he turned up on these shores.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Best get Knockaert on a 5 year deal then. I doubt they'll kick out any players already under contract.

When the Brexiteers come to power and in their crazed bloodlust and twisted obsession with reducing immigration whatever the cost I'm sure footballers, puffed up manual labourers, will be first for the chop. After all, Tom, Dick and Harry can all kick footballs - therefore using Brexit logic we don't need or benefit from Anthony, José or Hans.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
God,you Remainers are clutching at straws now your economic gibberish has been shown up for the nonsense it is.If Tom ,Dick, and Harry,(British people given a chance)have to play football against another team of British players,what is wrong with that?If you are so desperate to see foreign players,buy a Sky/BT package.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's pretty obvious though - over 400 remainers in the House of Commons. The only surprise is that this has only just made the mainstream media. Cameron may go, but the Brexit camp will definitely NOT have a majority at Westminster. However, the good news for the Vote Leavers is that our future will be decided by our elected representatives, which is just what they want, I think...?

similar to the scenario that vote to exit leads to a renegotiation and another referendum imo.

both scenarios lead us to an interesting situation, we've voted to leave but that doesn't happen immediately so there is scope for a substantial change of relationship with EU. there are others across europe that may welcome the opportunity to formally set in place a two tier EU, a core furthering integration with others remaining as is, or even rolling back to pre-Lisbon (all the way back to Maastricht?) stauts. vote to remain is to bolster the EU project and to be tied to whatever the whims the EU leaders decide for the next generation. vote leave opens options, remain closes them.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
If you say so, delusional child. Meanwhile, rant away and you may yet see glory on 23 June with the coming to power of Gove, Johnson and Duncan Smith, heroes of workers all.

I do say, feel free to challenge to points made.......not a rant but a fair view on the fact that past generations of British workers have fought for workers rights, before the EU.

It's a fallacy to hold out the EU as some kind of force for social justice and workers rights when we see what they have done with countries involved in the euro crisis.

If you think different then put up your evidence, but we know that the workers in those countries have been sacrificed on the alters of he banks, who in cahoots with the politicians caused the problems in the first place.

The very same people now lining up to implore is to stay, and using social justice as a reason.

It's understandable that the mentally feeble and closet tories might buy this narrative......I don't because it is obviously not true.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The rapid de-selection of 400 MP's by their constituency parties,and replacement with honest,decent people might just be the best thing for Parliamentary Democracy ever.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's fascinating that since the polls turned in favour of exit, just how many straws are being clutched by remainers.

'We may have another referendum, we might be able to renegotiate'.... Etc etc etc

Sent from the boot of Lingard

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It's fascinating that since the polls turned in favour of exit, just how many straws are being clutched by remainers.

'We may have another referendum, we might be able to renegotiate'.... Etc etc etc

Sent from the boot of Lingard

The polls mean nothing.

Look to the exchanges which I'm surprised have shortened slightly since yesterday.

larus

The polls mean nothing.

Look to the exchanges which I'm surprised have shortened slightly since yesterday.

And why should the foreign exchanges or bookies have any better idea of how 50-60m people are going to vote? The polls give an indication, but, as has been shown, they are far from accurate. However, I think I'd prefer to take them as giving a rough indication rather than relying upon the gamblers in the City (who nearly all failed to see the impending crisis pre Lehman) or book-makers - the other type of gamblers.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
And why should the foreign exchanges or bookies have any better idea of how 50-60m people are going to vote? The polls give an indication, but, as has been shown, they are far from accurate. However, I think I'd prefer to take them as giving a rough indication rather than relying upon the gamblers in the City (who nearly all failed to see the impending crisis pre Lehman) or book-makers - the other type of gamblers.

In the last Election the polls were out but the exchanges were spot on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
[tweet]740105201491841026[/tweet]

I know El Pres has a tendency to post weird stuff but that is just shit. As we don't currently have a points system for EU migrants how does anyone know who would or wouldn't get enough points. Maybe being a footballer would gain you a decent number of points ? We seem to have African, American and Australian footballers in our leagues all of whom would have to have gone through a points based system.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Nearly everyone I know has voted already, with the advent of postal voting becoming very normal.

How many people on here have already voted like me.

I find it odd that most the debates are after the postal votes are sent.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know El Pres has a tendency to post weird stuff but that is just shit. As we don't currently have a points system for EU migrants how does anyone know who would or wouldn't get enough points. Maybe being a footballer would gain you a decent number of points ? We seem to have African, American and Australian footballers in our leagues all of whom would have to have gone through a points based system.

We don't have a points system for EU migrants/footballers because there is free movement. If we left then there would almost certainly be a similar system that currently applies to players from outside the EU, ie. a certain number of international caps etc (I don't claim to know the exact criteria).

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Absolutely, and the people will be able to vote them out in 2020, although by then the resurgence of the Eurozone and a faltering of the UK economy will have reduced the immigrant flow to a trickle, the threat of Turkish accession will be seen for the scare tactic it is, Boris will be concentrating on writing expensive articles for the Daily Telegraph, Nissan will have opened two more factories and the people may well decide that one close shave is enough and that they're not going to shoot themselves in the foot again.

This is important. The influx is temporary as we are doing well at the moment. It's going to start flowing the other way at some point and then people will miss the days when Britain was a place people wanted to come to. This is a major concern as by then if we have voted out we won't be able to go freely to other European countries that are doing well to work.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
We don't have a points system for EU migrants/footballers because there is free movement. If we left then there would almost certainly be a similar system that currently applies to players from outside the EU, ie. a certain number of international caps etc (I don't claim to know the exact criteria).

Great-lots more room for British players.Only the decent foreign players allowed in,not cheap dross.Might be good for the England national teams as well.What's not to like?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here