Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Matt Ritchie

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Newcastle winger Matt Ritchie is being offered a £4million-a-year contract to join Stoke City for £15m.
£80,000 a week in the Championship?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Following Newcastle and Wolves lead, spend big get promoted from Championship

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it is cost effective to pay a middling player so much in the hope of promotion to the PL, why did they not pay even more to employ a better player to keep them in the PL last season? I can't see TB pulling such a mad stunt in the event we dip back into the second tier :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sort of player that is absolutely quality in the bustle of the Championship, but nowhere near as effective when stepping up to the Prem.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sort of player that is absolutely quality in the bustle of the Championship, but nowhere near as effective when stepping up to the Prem.

id take him as one of our wide options, I think hes decent.

Not for anywhere near 80k a week though

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Doesn’t always work though, count the recent number of ex-Premier League clubs up shit creek languishing in the Championship - or worse.

Of course it doesn't, we all know that. However if the club is relegated in a healthy state and is well managed, doesn't have to offload vastly overpaid 'stars' then with the parachute payments they can do it. Like Newcastle did.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I didn't want to, but, Anthony Knockaert. Although he had a decent last few games.

The name that came to my mind too. Knocky didn't have a bad season as such, but his part in the team evolved somewhat. He isn't able to attack defences in anything like the same way as he was in the Chamionship, and his game had to become more defensive, tracking back, harrying defenders etc.

Still very much worth his place in the side though, (he says, fearing rebuke from the Knockaert is God brigade).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The name that came to my mind too. Knocky didn't have a bad season as such, but his part in the team evolved somewhat. He isn't able to attack defences in anything like the same way as he was in the Chamionship, and his game had to become more defensive, tracking back, harrying defenders etc.

Still very much worth his place in the side though, (he says, fearing rebuke from the Knockaert is God brigade).

Absolutely. Not slagging Knocky off at all, as you say, not afforded anything like the same time and space in the Prem as he'd get in the Champ. However I do think he is a confidence player and his confidence definitely took a knock (pun intended) at points.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you're building a side to get you of the Championship in the right direction, Ritchie is a player you'd want to include.

el punal

Of course it doesn't, we all know that. However if the club is relegated in a healthy state and is well managed, doesn't have to offload vastly overpaid 'stars' then with the parachute payments they can do it. Like Newcastle did.

Aha! Those magic words “healthy state” and “well managed” will always keep you in good stead. Newcastle, according to their own fans, had bought a crock load of shit previously but still managed to bounce back. That, I put down to the Benitez effect. My example of a healthy and well managed club would be Burnley and, dare I say it, ourselves.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Absolutely. Not slagging Knocky off at all, as you say, not afforded anything like the same time and space in the Prem as he'd get in the Champ. However I do think he is a confidence player and his confidence definitely took a knock (pun intended) at points.

Unfortunately I think he will always be like that, either on cloud nine, or down in the dumps. Absolutely no one better than him when he is playing well, but if things go wrong he is better off left at home sucking his thumb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here