Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Battle of Hastings - 14th October 1066 - 950th Anniversary

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's the 950th anniversary of one of the most famous dates in English history - The Battle of Hastings - that took place right here in Sussex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-37649912

Thousands of visitors expected to East Sussex today and over the weekend for various events. Anyone going to any of them?

Last Monday I was filming on Hastings Pier for the One Show with Dan Snow for a piece about the battle.

It will be on BBC 1 at 7:00 tonight, I'm one of the Saxons in red t shirts, the only one as far as I remember with glasses and a beard.

I'm also one of the last two Saxons left standing when Harold is killed. It will be obvious which one is me.

Fame at last!!! Let me know if you'd like an autograph.

Today Hastings Pier, tomorrow Strictly Come Dancing!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
history-king_harold-bayeux_tapestry-william_the_conqueror-propagandas-propagandists-rben106_low.jpg

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Last Monday I was filming on Hastings Pier for the One Show with Dan Snow for a piece about the battle.

It will be on BBC 1 at 7:00 tonight, I'm one of the Saxons in red t shirts, the only one as far as I remember with glasses and a beard.

I'm also one of the last two Saxons left standing when Harold is killed. It will be obvious which one is me.

Learn something new everyday on NSC.
didnt expect it to be Harold was killed on Hastings pier though :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A few NSC Runners are doing the 1066 Way run on Sunday. Starting at Pevensey Castle they run 17 miles, via Herstmonceux, to Battle Abbey. All part of the celebrations. Will be a lot of Harolds and Harold's soldiers running.

I'm unable to do it. Anyone who wants to run on my behalf can have my bib number..............

Looking forward to the One Show [MENTION=255]Cadiz Seagull[/MENTION]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
.....or that Saxons wore glasses.

Which is another sad example of the ancient knowledge and oral traditions of the Saxons being wiped out of the historical record. The Saxons invented spectacles, the 'lazy susan' and dental floss, but as they say, the winners get to write history.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Stop living in the past we've now taken back control. :rollseyes: none of this french nonsense for us now. Pass the fish and chips.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I'll have an autograph off you Hastings celebrity :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Tallest with dyed white hair and beard. Natural actor. :bowdown:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Put that bloody bow and arra darn!
You'll ave someone's eye out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here