Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The UK and EU agree terms for Brexit transition period

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43456502

he UK and EU have agreed on a "large part" of the agreement that will lead to the "orderly withdrawal" of the UK.

The EU's Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said the two sides had agreed on a transition period, calling the announcement a "decisive step".

He spoke after meeting with the UK's Brexit secretary David Davis.

The transitional period will begin from Brexit day - 29 March, 2019 - and is designed to smooth the path to the future permanent relationship.

Mr Barnier said there was also an agreement on the rights of 4.5m EU citizens in the UK and the 1.2m UK citizens in the EU after Brexit.

But he said more work still needed to be done on important subjects including the Northern Ireland border.

Both the UK and the EU hope the terms of an agreement on the transitional period can be signed off by Theresa May's fellow leaders at the EU summit this week.

Mr Barnier said the new draft legal text marks a "decisive step" but added that it was "not the end of the road".

"We have reached an agreement on the transition period," Mr Barnier told a press conference in Brussels. "The transition will be of limited duration."

Mr Davis said the move provided further certainty for businesses and had agreed safeguards for fishing quotas during the transition period.

Among other issues the two sides have had to negotiate for the transition period have been what role the European Court of Justice has in the UK, whether the UK can negotiate future trade deals with non-EU countries as well as the continuing issues of Gibraltar post-Brexit.

BBC Europe Editor Katya Adler said the issues of the Northern Ireland border and Gibraltar have the potential "to bring the whole Brexit deal down".

Adrian O'Neill, Ireland's ambassador to the UK, says it is crucial both sides make progress on the border issue, while Gibraltar's chief minister Fabian Picardo has expressed confidence that it will be included in the planned Brexit transition deal.

The UK and EU hope that if a transition deal is agreed negotiations can focus on what sort of permanent future relationship the UK and EU will have - with the aim of a deal being agreed in the autumn to allow time for EU member states and the UK Parliament to ratify it before Brexit next March.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's all been agreed! Can all the thread be closed now and all these experts get back to talking about football?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's all been agreed! Can all the thread be closed now and all these experts get back to talking about football?
Well, apart from the minor Irish border issue.

It is plain that the only practical solution is the Irish Sea border with NI.

Unfortunately, May's Magic Money Tree doesn't have enough Bribe Blossom to pay for that.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Okay - I can understand that you are not quite in the same league as me and my mate Ian, who met the highly attractive, charming, beautiful, educated woman that is TV's Julie Etchingham, so when it comes to highly attractive, charming, beautiful women like TV's Julie Etchingham you're not so adroit. I get that. Put bluntly - when a highly attractive, charming, beautiful women like TV's Julie Etchingham is asked her opinion on something and responds by shaking her head, rolling eyes and saying 'Oh God' it means = a highly attractive, charming, beautiful women like TV's Julie Etchingham thinks that something is bad.

By way of an example, if, like me, you've been in a situation whereby you're faced with a highly attractive, charming, beautiful, educated woman like TV's Julie Etchingham and a conversation starter like but 'I know I didn't start on Sambuca's until after 1am, so was it must have been as great as always' and a highly attractive, charming, beautiful, educated women like TV's Julie Etchingham, responds by shaking her head, rolling eyes and saying 'Oh God' it means = not good. #bad.

Hope that helps.

Most interesting post on this thread in ages. What Wham! song was it? Club Tropicana?

If you have never been with a highly attractive etc etc.etc. woman,and didn't get her eyes rolling and saying 'Oh God',then your technique requires some work!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well, apart from the minor Irish border issue.

It is plain that the only practical solution is the Irish Sea border with NI.

Unfortunately, May's Magic Money Tree doesn't have enough Bribe Blossom to pay for that.

What is wrong with the south of Ireland rejoining the United Kingdom?Perfect solution!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
We haven't left yet....

View attachment 95267

Nice picture,but if you had bothered to actually read my post,I did say 'leaving',not left,so your point is?

Talking of nice pics,I finally found one of a german Red Arrow.

kraut arrows.png

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Err, nothing wrong with that.... but they haven't opted to do so, and there is no indication they want to.

So yours is not the only solution.Nor is the border remaining as it is at the moment.I'm sure we would bung Little Leo a few Euros to keep the balance between Ulster and the Republic happy.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Err, nothing wrong with that.... but they haven't opted to do so, and there is no indication they want to.
So yours is not the only solution.Nor is the border remaining as it is at the moment.I'm sure we would bung Little Leo a few Euros to keep the balance between Ulster and the Republic happy.
Why does my post imply that "mine" isn't the only solution ?

It seems a "bung" won't solve it either....

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/974929547413086210?s=19

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here