• Yes

Votes: 153 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 207 57.5%

• Total voters

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Hughton said himself 50/50 challenge which gave the ref a decision to make stevens has a history of these challenges at least we can have a few weeks without and average player and c how we go then we will know if he is as good as a few think he is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It wasn’t worse. It was more cynical. There’s a big difference. Stephens’ challenge can injure people, whereas Cunningham’s just pisses people off with his cynicism.

Exactly. People need to take their blue-and-white-striped spectacles off. I'm surprised there isn't another thread on here kicking off about how Bamba's winner was offside. I've even heard someone say it was offside twice.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Exactly. People need to take their blue-and-white-striped spectacles off. I'm surprised there isn't another thread on here kicking off about how Bamba's winner was offside. I've even heard someone say it was offside twice.

To be honest, my natural instinct in the game was that two players were offside and CH apparently agrees but I’ve not seen it again so won’t judge until I have.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think the reaction made the refs mind up, it was 50/50 for me so no red if not certain!

It’s irrelevant that it’s 50/50. It’s not that he’s gone for the challenge, it’s how he’s gone for it with his studs up. If it had been the other way around I’d have been furious if they’d not had a man sent off.

Atkinson made a lot of very bad calls today ie not booking Bamba for taking his shirt off. But the sending off wasn’t one of them.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In real time most would give it, but IMO it wasn't

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Out working today ...but have listened to a clip of an interview with CH who has made more of the winning goal that should have been called offside ...I’m surprised there isn’t s thread ‘Was it offside’

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
To be honest, my natural instinct in the game was that two players were offside and CH apparently agrees but I’ve not seen it again so won’t judge until I have.

As the first cross comes in, Bamba (?) their number 22 is clearly offside, he then comes back and jumps to challenge for the ball (and still is offside during that challenge as he is the outfield player nearest the goal and he never got back onside during that phase) he was clearly interfering with play and so that is when the offside flag should have gone up

Not surprised the officials missed it if they also missed the same player taking his shirt off as a part of his goal celebrations

Stephens challenge was a yellow at worst, but could see why it was given (judging by how everything the officials did seemingly went Cardiff's way)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes. Just heard (some of) CH's post-match reaction on R5. It might be that I'm wrong on this. Presumably the claim is that Bamba was offside at some point -- he wasn't for the finish, but he had at least one more touch during that passage of play.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This day an age if you go in studs up you are risking it!

Maybe at home we would have got away with it, but away.....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Yes. Just heard (some of) CH's post-match reaction on R5. It might be that I'm wrong on this. Presumably the claim is that Bamba was offside at some point -- he wasn't for the finish, but he had at least one more touch during that passage of play.

He was as the first cross went in, and he then challenged for the ball so was active and therefore offside

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

I think the claim will be that he was in an offside position but the ball clipped Dunk before it reached Bamba, hence onside.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Out of control and reckless. Endangered an opponent. Winning the ball is incidental. Gave Atkinson an excuse to show red.

When a player goes in hard but with one leg trailing on the ground, that is not necessarily ‘out of control and reckless’, especially if the tackling foot is not raised high. If it is, midfielders may as well give up tackling.

‘Excessive force’ might be an argument in this case. But, again, a pretty routine challenge. Almost certainly will be several worse in the Premier League this weekend that will get a yellow, if anything.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

He was as the first cross went in, and he then challenged for the ball so was active and therefore offside

I think the claim will be that he was in an offside position but the ball clipped Dunk before it reached Bamba, hence onside.

For the first one, it was clearly flicked on from the head of an Albion player. For the second one, when their player headed it back towards the six yard box, Bamba was with Dunk - and it's difficult to see at the exact moment he headed it - but there were milliseconds between him being the nearest to the keeper and Dunk's right leg being nearer. That will be their claim anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As the first cross comes in, Bamba (?) their number 22 is clearly offside, he then comes back and jumps to challenge for the ball (and still is offside during that challenge as he is the outfield player nearest the goal and he never got back onside during that phase) he was clearly interfering with play and so that is when the offside flag should have gone up

Not surprised the officials missed it if they also missed the same player taking his shirt off as a part of his goal celebrations

Stephens challenge was a yellow at worst, but could see why it was given (judging by how everything the officials did seemingly went Cardiff's way)

[tweet]1061266097146617856[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here