Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marco Silva

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
There's so much at stake financially now that PL clubs just aren't taking any risks, so unimaginative and boring. It's becoming a joke.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Never understood all the hype around this guy. Some moderate early success in Portugal (a promotion and a Cup), went to Greece and won the league with Olympiacos (they win it EVERY year, regardless who's in charge). Got relegated at Hull, and did naff-all at Watford, where their results dropped off a cliff and they probably would've been relegated if they hadn't binned him off.

On the plus side - he's got a fancy accent and a sharp suit, so he MUST be brilliant. Lets see if he can get Everton to 8th again. Personally, with his track record I doubt it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's so much at stake financially now that PL clubs just aren't taking any risks, so unimaginative and boring. It's becoming a joke.

Not taking any risks? You must be joking! Everton are taking a huge risk replacing Allardyce with Silva -in fact it looks absolutely bonkers to me. Of course, I may be proved wrong, but........................

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Madness
Allardyce is boring (according to Everton fans) but steady and would keep them up
Marco Silva has had limited success with smaller clubs - big step up for him.
Gone by Christmas ?

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Not taking any risks? You must be joking! Everton are taking a huge risk replacing Allardyce with Silva -in fact it looks absolutely bonkers to me. Of course, I may be proved wrong, but........................

Disagree. Good record in Portugal and Hull were doomed before he took over. Watford looked alright until he had his head turned by Everton. Can't see them being in any trouble this season, but with the money they've spent/will spend I can't understand why they haven't gone for something a bit more bold/exciting.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Disagree. Good record in Portugal and Hull were doomed before he took over. Watford looked alright until he had his head turned by Everton. Can't see them being in any trouble this season, but with the money they've spent/will spend I can't understand why they haven't gone for something a bit more bold/exciting.

Maybe because of how it worked out with Koeman after giving him £150m to spend... they have a new management structure in place and Marcel Brands as their new Director of football and he's going to have a lot of input into who the clubs bring in player wise, still a lot of big name managers who like to be more in control behind the scenes.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With no Europa League on Thursdays to distract and a nice juicy week long rest between games compared to the Big 6, they may thrive and might even win a couple of big matches. But it’ll be built on sand and fans whinging will start eventually.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Looking forward to him signing Richarlison for £30 million

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Good points.

On that last one, it was covered by Kevin Ratcliffe on 5Live this afternoon - Europe’s big name managers / flavour of the months, simply weren’t interested.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great news for the Big 6 - no threat to them from Goodison for another season.

With Burnley in the Europa League that 7th spot / Prem League 2 Champions is up for grabs.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Never understood all the hype around this guy. Some moderate early success in Portugal (a promotion and a Cup), went to Greece and won the league with Olympiacos (they win it EVERY year, regardless who's in charge). Got relegated at Hull, and did naff-all at Watford, where their results dropped off a cliff and they probably would've been relegated if they hadn't binned him off.

On the plus side - he's got a fancy accent and a sharp suit, so he MUST be brilliant. Lets see if he can get Everton to 8th again. Personally, with his track record I doubt it.

Didn't he win Watford's "Manager of the season" award? Must be reasonable ;)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ve said it before but I want to be represented by Silva’s agency. They have done a MAGNIFICENT job of building up an incredible brand and reputation for him based on mediocrity.

How he’s got such a big job I will never know, he’s basically a Portuguese poor mans Steve Bruce.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I wasn't particularly commenting on Silva's record (or lack of one), more the fact that Everton have ditched an excellent manager for a relatively untried one. There are those, of course, who think that Allardyce is a thick as shit, red-faced fat northerner who knows nothing more than hoofball, hoofball and more hoofball - many of them Everton (and West Ham) fans; one has then to consider just who is thick as shit......and it's not Allardyce!

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
Great news for the Big 6 - no threat to them from Goodison for another season.

With Burnley in the Europa League that 7th spot / Prem League 2 Champions is up for grabs.

With Mahrez likely departing Leicester and Burnley burdened by European football, how far away are we from being the next illustrious Premier League 2 champion?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Errr...no they weren't. He took over on January 5th when they were bottom of the table but only 3 points from safety, so they were FAR from doomed at that point, with half a season still to go. He spent around £20m in January on Grosicki, Henrikson, Evandro, Ranocchia and Elabdellaoui, and brought in N'Diaye, Niasse and Markovic on loan. They finished 17th, 6 points from safety.

I'm not saying keeping Hull up would've been easy by any means, but lets not make out he took over a doomed club. There was time to turn it round, but he failed. And then went and stank the place out at Watford.

I honestly have NO idea how this guys stock is so high. Maybe he'll show why it is next season, but I'm mightily glad its not MY club he's rocked up at.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here