Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did Izquierdo mess his pants when he just had the goalie to beat ?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
In answer to the OP’s question, I don’t think Issy messed his pants, but I think a number of supporters did - which probably explains why there were so many early leavers.

el punal

Aren’t these things the basics of football? Or does it take more courage to shoot from outside the box when he’s not expected to score (and very rarely does). I could have taken a cricket bat to his knees after he missed that one. Pathetic.

Tell me, honestly, do you actually support Brighton and Hove Albion or do you come from Grimsby, where fishing seems to be the predominant industry?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Aren’t these things the basics of football? Or does it take more courage to shoot from outside the box when he’s not expected to score (and very rarely does). I could have taken a cricket bat to his knees after he missed that one. Pathetic.

Couldn't see any signs of leakage on the slow mo.

Should have done one or other though.

Just an observation, but also noticed Kayal having a go at him at one point for not tracking back towards the end when we were down a man. Izzy seemed to spend an age getting back to cover after a brief foray into Huddsland. Meant Kayal covered his slot and couldn't get back to a more central position at quite a dangerous passage of defending. Izzy gave some back. Not his best game for the Albion, but then not sure anyone had a good game - all seemed to be having a bad day at the office.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Aren’t these things the basics of football? Or does it take more courage to shoot from outside the box when he’s not expected to score (and very rarely does). I could have taken a cricket bat to his knees after he missed that

Last edited:

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I'd imagine he's kicking himself over it a lot more than any of us are. Hopefully he will come back stronger v Palace.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
OP is completely justified, I love Izzy as a player but he fluffed his lines at the most crucial moment today. If he shoots & misses or the keeper saves it then fair enough. He did nothing but carry the ball straight to the keepers arms whilst in acres of space. Woeful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Not the first time he's cocked up what should have been a nailed-on goal. Yes, he's scored a few blinders but he just seems to lack a certain something when in really promising positions, whether that's seeing a better pass or a keener eye in front of goal.

Sent from my laptop using my fingers

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
To be fair, I don't think we really appreciate the amount of ground that man covers. Defending all game and making gut busting runs right up until the end of the match. He puts in a real shift every time he plays.

The run he made to get himself into that position was outstanding and if anything I would have expected him to miss it by taking it too early and trying to curl it into the top-corner. To not get a shot off was infuriating but a result of wobbly legs after that ridiculous sprint and nerves.

Frustrating as it was, I think I can forgive him. One thing I thing we can be glad about is that the three one on ones we've had in the last two games have been from 3 different players. We're a threat from more than just one position again which is nice to see.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Instinctive ' push and go ' type of player, who gravitates between occasional moments of brilliance ( West Ham and Stoke ) and a lot of frustrating ' nearly ' moments. Not comfortable with time to think, as on Saturday and other games where he has been one on one with the keeper and loses composure. Struggles to go round the outside of players so the cut inside ( a la KLL ) is the main option, usually followed by a hugely wayward shot high into the crowd.
Blistering pace only goes so far. It counts for nothing if you get in the clear but lack any confidence, subtlety or composure to finish the job. Still seems pretty raw as a player, which for £13m ish is a bit of a worry. Don't see him being a regular goalscorer, which we are desperately lacking from wide and midfield. As the squad ( hopefully ) continues to develop, can see him being relegated to an impact bench player and not a regular starter.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
To be fair, I don't think we really appreciate the amount of ground that man covers. Defending all game and making gut busting runs right up until the end of the match. He puts in a real shift every time he plays.

The run he made to get himself into that position was outstanding and if anything I would have expected him to miss it by taking it too early and trying to curl it into the top-corner. To not get a shot off was infuriating but a result of wobbly legs after that ridiculous sprint and nerves.

Frustrating as it was, I think I can forgive him. One thing I thing we can be glad about is that the three one on ones we've had in the last two games have been from 3 different players. We're a threat from more than just one position again which is nice to see.

I agree that it is encouraging to see us carve the opposition open and create these opportunities but not to convert any of them is unacceptable at this level. It just underlines the fact that we lack that little bit of quality that only bucketloads of money usually buys. We have a good squad of players but we are lacking goals throughout. We create chances but in the main we waste most of them. We have a largely non-goalscoring midfield and the wide men, at this level, are only capable of the occasional goal. Our CB's can't seem to hit a barn door with their attacking headers, despite regularly getting on the end of chances. All the pressure is on Murray, who starts most games and to me, it is an unfair burden. We have fired far too many blanks this season and it has to be addressed, else next season could be a real struggle.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

I agree that it is encouraging to see us carve the opposition open and create these opportunities but not to convert any of them is unacceptable at this level. It just underlines the fact that we lack that little bit of quality that only bucketloads of money usually buys. We have a good squad of players but we are lacking goals throughout. We create chances but in the main we waste most of them. We have a largely non-goalscoring midfield and the wide men, at this level, are only capable of the occasional goal. Our CB's can't seem to hit a barn door with their attacking headers, despite regularly getting on the end of chances. All the pressure is on Murray, who starts most games and to me, it is an unfair burden. We have fired far too many blanks this season and it has to be addressed, else next season could be a real struggle.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
We have a largely non-goalscoring midfield

Spot on. They really need to take up the slack. Propper and Stephens have no league goals between them which is just ridiculous while March, Knockaert, Izquierdo, Kayal and Locadia (when he's played there) have nine between them. That [gets calculator out] is 1.2 goals per midfielder to date this season. That's very, very poor, however you look at it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wonder whether it's a confidence thing with Jose as he's missed a couple of 1v1s this season

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yeah, but who does he want for the first game of the Championship season? :facepalm:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Jimmy Grimble

Best players we've had in one on ones during the Amex era are Buckley and Murphy IMO.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No ban for inciting violence like I did last week?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I wonder whether it's a confidence thing with Jose as he's missed a couple of 1v1s this season

Too much confidence that his speed of reactions would be quicker than the keepers. He is playing a higher standard now. Better technique needed.

Choices

Chip the keeper
Shoot low and powerful along the ground with a risk the keeper gets lucky or sits on the ball (Gordon Smith)
Take the ball close to the keeper and use your instinct to find the gap (Izzy, does not work in the Premier League)
Manoeuvre to get space to get a clear shot on goal
Dribble around the keeper and shoot from a narrow angle (Mounie)
Curl the ball with instep shot (difficult technique with risk the ball does not get enough bend: Craig Maskell hitting the post at Hereford, Propper? )
Dummy the keeper to shoot one way and get him to commit and stroke the ball in the opposite way
Blast it into the roof of the net (has to be very good)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Spot on. They really need to take up the slack. Propper and Stephens have no league goals between them which is just ridiculous while March, Knockaert, Izquierdo, Kayal and Locadia (when he's played there) have nine between them. That [gets calculator out] is 1.2 goals per midfielder to date this season. That's very, very poor, however you look at it.

It isn't Stephens or Propper intentionally not making runs, it is quite clearly instructed for them to sit against most opposition. So they are limited to shots from well outside the box.

The way we set up, we rely on our wide players and two front men to hurt them in open play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Best players we've had in one on ones during the Amex era are Buckley and Murphy IMO.

Yeah Murphy would have been clinical in both of Jose's clear cut 1v1's, this season.
As would Tomer with all the penalties, and Baldock with the St John's Ambulance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here