Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should footballers be allowed to enjoy their free time ?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Generally the answer is yes they are as entitled to free time as any of us are but for the likes of Rooney who are happy to take millions from Vogue for their wedding photos and jump at any photo opportunity to expand brand Rooney, Beckham, etc then they have to accept that with a free press they have given up any chance of free time.
Got to take the lows with the highs, but personally I don't give a toss what he does still not good enough for England.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Eh?

We might have laughed at the dentist's chair goal celebration DURING the Euros, but that itself was a response to the MASSIVE media shitstorm of outrage that followed the in-flight drinking session upon which it was based.

Sorry, I meant during. However, that event alone –*seeing as how far the team progressed – should have shown that one night out doesn't really make that much difference. You never know, maybe that team bonding helped? I'm no massive 'Wazza' fan, but I really hope he has a great game on Saturday.

Do people think that footballers live a teetotal life when in their own houses? No, of course they don't, just like other 'professionals' don't in their own lives. I bet a brain surgeon doesn't think "Ooh, I better not have a pint because I'm operating on someone next week"; and as for people who are away on work trips? I've seen some horrendous states that colleagues have got themselves into while away – and sometimes that was the BOSS!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sorry, I meant during. However, that event alone –*seeing as how far the team progressed – should have shown that one night out doesn't really make that much difference. You never know, maybe that team bonding helped? I'm no massive 'Wazza' fan, but I really hope he has a great game on Saturday.

Do people think that footballers live a teetotal life when in their own houses? No, of course they don't, just like other 'professionals' don't in their own lives. I bet a brain surgeon doesn't think "Ooh, I better not have a pint because I'm operating on someone next week"; and as for people who are away on work trips? I've seen some horrendous states that colleagues have got themselves into while away – and sometimes that was the BOSS!

The British disease. Why does team bonding or letting our hair down HAVE to be with alcohol?

It's up to Wayne Rooney how seriously he takes his career, he's certainly not harming anyone else but himself here and doesn't deserve to be singled out. For me he's a Flintoff, all the natural talent in the world, flashes of brilliance and careers gone south not far after turning 30. They're good but they don't quite have that single-minded (Ronaldo-esque) determination to be the best.

These are the fine margins at the top echelons of sport. It's tough but he's got years to drink as much as he likes once he's done.

Euro '96 may as well be the '66 World Cup. The off the field side of the game has changed so much in those 20 years. Top, top players don't drink and meticulously plan their diets. It's hard but that's what it takes, anything less and you are selling yourself short. Who knows? If it hadn't been for that piss up, maybe we would have won it.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Or to put it another way, do you ever see current World Number 1 Tennis player Andy Murray with a fag or a pint in his hand? Or the British track cycling team?

Especially in competition time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If Wayne Rooney wants to lie naked under a glass coffee table, smothered in Deep Heat and wearing nothing but suspenders and stockings whilst knocking one out as an 80 year old granny hooker stands above him on the table taking a poo then who are we to judge what he does in his private moments?

Have you been at [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] 's DVD collection?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am not a big fan of Rooney, but from what I saw on TV news, he was in England kit but was meeting people and having photos taken with them.
If he had a few drinks perhaps the club/ country medical staff may object to that but I didn't see anything outrageous in his behaviour.

Had that been the case, I don't think it would've been much of an issue either.

It was being shitfaced and still there off his tits at 5am that seems to have raised a few eyebrows.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Klopp seems to have summed it up well

When asked about the Rooney story, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he did not see a problem.

"I feel sorry for the players," he said. "We live on the sunny side of life, but in the end maybe it is a surprise there is a human being behind the kid.

"This generation is the most professional generation of footballers we have ever had - not only in England. All the legends you admire, they drank like devils and smoked like crazy and were still good players. Nobody does that any more.

"I've no idea where Wayne was but I'm pretty sure it was not that serious."

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Klopp seems to have summed it up well

Yeah, you're right

"This generation is the most professional generation of footballers we have ever had - not only in England. All the legends you admire, they drank like devils and smoked like crazy and were still good players. Nobody does that any more."

So by that rationale, anyone that doesn't look after themselves now, is at an extreme disadvantage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rightly or wrongly had England won the Euro's Wayne et al could have spent the last 5 months knee deep in utter filth, and nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Sure the papers would still write their stories but the reaction to them would be completely different.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
It was not just Rooney, around 10 were drunk in a nightclub until 4:30am on Sunday morning with most of them involved in a game vs Spain 2 days later.

They would not be allowed to do it if they had a Saturday-Tuesday game at club level. They should not do it on international duty.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It was not just Rooney, around 10 were drunk in a nightclub until 4:30am on Sunday morning with most of them involved in a game vs Spain 2 days later.

They would not be allowed to do it if they had a Saturday-Tuesday game at club level. They should not do it on international duty.

A game in which they conceded two late goals.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He was probably trying (and failing) to shag some bird while being pissed and smoking fags.

Rooney as a role model? Do me a favour, that ship sailed years ago. I couldn't care less what he does, it's no different to what he's always done and is why he's now a busted flush on the pitch.

His choice mind, but his Mrs must really love being rich.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Perhaps they do !! But taking a pic of Bradley Wiggins having a pint wont sell newspapers

Wild punt but I very much doubt they do. These guys and girls performance levels are constantly monitored, in track cycling especially the competitors are aware that the difference between success and failure is 1%.

I know I'm coming across as pious and hypocritical. I doubt I'd be able to do it.

But we can't on one hand scratch our heads about why other nations have caught up and overtaken us at football and on the other make 'boys will be boys' excuses for top, top players not looking after themselves. Either our boys want to be winners and commit themselves to the cause accordingly or they don't. There's no half measures.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He was probably trying (and failing) to shag some bird while being pissed and smoking fags.

Rooney as a role model? Do me a favour, that ship sailed years ago. I couldn't care less what he does, it's no different to what he's always done and is why he's now a busted flush on the pitch.

His choice mind, but his Mrs must really love being rich.

His Mrs is very rich in her own right.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Klopp seems to think its no problem - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ke-devils-smoked-like-crazy-good-players.html

I wonder if he'd feel the same if it were one of his own players though.

It probably was.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
His Mrs is very rich in her own right.
And I'm sure she could take him to the cleaners in a divorce. I was being facetious, I'm just amazed with what she puts up with. Allegedly (from loads of different independent sources).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Also, the timing is of interest.

Have some of the players taken a punt on Southgate not getting the job and thought they could take the piss with no consequence as there's a new guy coming in?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here